Got Taylor 2006C test kit and am vowing off test strips forever

Bill Kruse

May 28, 2021
Ohio
Hi, New Pool owner here. Have been working to open my pool at a new (to me) house, that hasn’t been opened in 5 years. I have gotten it cleaned up, but until today have been using test strips and an older test kit for water levels. Just got Taylor K2006C yesterday and tested....only pH matched anything I checked.

I thought my levels were good....pool was clear and blue. One Memorial Day Of swimming, and it all went cloudy, has cleared some but remains cloudy today. Here are today’s results:

75F
pH 7.5
FC 15.6
CC 0.8
CYA 100
TA 275
CH 700

My plan is to drop the water level and refill to drop the CYA, then start slam. But, should I address the high TA first?

Also, I have a grad party here on Sunday. I am guessing slam might not be done by hen. Should I try clarifier or floc in the short term just to get through Sunday?

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

Answering your question about your TA matters what type of pool you have and if you have a SWG.

Lower your CYA to 30 and then follow the SLAM Process, Your TA is not that important right now.

Test strips are so-so for some stuff but my experience is they aren’t even close for CYA. Years ago I kept adding and adding and still showed around 35. Short version is was really closer to 150 or 200 when I was done so had to drain it.

A 50% drain and refill will put you squarely at CYA 50 which will work fine for you to do the SLAM. You will get the added benefit of lowering your CH some (depending on what your fill water CH is) at the same time. You can perform the SLAM perfectly fine at CYA 50 by raising FC to 20ppm and testing several times a day and raising back to 20ppm if if drops. Only use liquid chlorine though. No cal hypo or other granular shock. You don't want to add to either your CYA or CH any further.

No I did not , but I did pull about 50% of the water out and am almost refilled. Will post CYA result after.
Also, when I go to slam it, I was planning to just use bleach (probably 6% unless I can find stronger). However, is there any concern in using that with Sodium Hypochlorite since I have been using Trichlor-s tabs? I have read not to mix chlorine types.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, when I go to slam it, I was planning to just use bleach (probably 6% unless I can find stronger). However, is there any concern in using that with Sodium Hypochlorite since I have been using Trichlor-s tabs? I have read not to mix chlorine types.

Liquid chlorine/bleach is pure and you can mix it's use with other forms of chlorine.

Try and find 10%-12% liquid chlorine in HD, Walmart, or even pool stores as Liquid Shock.

Liquid chlorine/bleach is pure and you can mix it's use with other forms of chlorine
*note to all future readers. Never EVER mix them at the same time or same container. Add them to the pool and they are one and the same. Add liquid bleach to a bucket with tab dust in it and BOOM.

Just had a buddy do this by accident and it didn’t end well. Luckily nobody got hurt.

I was busy doing yard work all day and by the time I saw the texts I missed the details. If I had to guess he tried to store tabs with bags of shock, but I got the pictures of the toasted bucket, the 3 ft of scorched earth and the scared neighbor moving their cars after the explosion.

Last edited:
*note to all future readers. Never EVER mix them at the same time or same container. Add them to the pool and they are one and the same. Add liquid bleach to a bucket with tab dust in it and BOOM.

Just had a buddy do this by accident and it didn’t end well. Luckily nobody got hurt.

I was busy doing yard work all day and by the time I saw the texts I missed the details. If I had to guess he tried to store tabs with bags of shock, but I got the pictures of the toasted bucket, the 3 ft of scorched earth and the scared neighbor moving their cars after the explosion.
Why do want to try this 🤪

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.