Got started, fixed algae overnight

gaajar35

Gold Supporter
Dec 4, 2022
California
I'm in Sacramento area (Folsom)
Tired of my pool guy messing up, started managing pool myself. This is highly irritating, but no one actually uses the pool anymore so managing it is insult to injury, but oh well.
Lurked at the site for many years but took the plunge with the newer site and app. Pool was getting green and it has been raining regularly for the last few days. Did the first test at Leslie's and got the following results:
FC 0.2
TA 37
CYA 146
pH 7.6
CH 309

Removed the chlorine tab floater. Still have the recently installed Remington Solar Shock Cu ionizer (which I plan to keep for a while and see - especially since no one is using pool)
Added 10lb of Leslie's Alkalinity Up. App and Leslie's both recommended 8+lbs. I have now bought a bag of baking soda from Costco for future.
Waited 4 hrs
Added 4 jugs of Costco Chlorox bleach (121oz 7.17% chlorine). App recommended 3.8 jugs.
Ran overnight

This morning pool is clear. All the green is gone!
Now, need to figure out how to drain pool to get CYA down, and get the testing kit.

Hey GaaJar and Welcome !!!!

You missed a ton, but it's all irrelevant at this point. We'll get you there. :)

and get the testing kit

#1 most important. Without it, you're flying blind.

need to figure out how to drain pool to get CYA down,

Read the above and hatch a plan, but don't pull the trigger without an accurate CYA test from a drop based kit. The TF-pro or TF-pro-salt are my go-to's. They come with a stirring device for the same price as the K2006c, which doesn't. It's a no brainer.

Once you have a legit CYA number, you'll drain and SLAM Process whatever is left. It's a 'process'. Have a couple reads through it. Ask away with any questions. (y)

Reactions: Mdragger88
Sounds good. Pool is overfilled because of rain anyway, with more on the way, so am draining to normal level today, but will wait to add water after testing. Water hasn't been this clear in ages so am excited. Thanks for the welcome!

Reactions: Newdude
Still have the recently installed Remington Solar Shock Cu ionizer (which I plan to keep for a while and see - especially since no one is using pool)
Copper, do not use it.

Ordered the test kit. Any chemicals I should add till then? Pool is mostly in the shade since sun is lower and also clouds these days.
I would add 5ppm of liquid chlorine per day until you get your kit. Until we have results we can trust, adding anything else may make the situation worse.

Do you have this? Link-->PoolMath

Download it. Set it up. Share your logs. Use the "Effects of adding" function to determine how much liquid chlorine to add 5ppm per day. This will keep the algae at bay.

Ordered the test kit. Any chemicals I should add till then? Pool is mostly in the shade since sun is lower and also clouds these days.
Add 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine daily until it comes- that’s it.
When it comes do all the tests & post them here.

Fyi, you added ALOT of baking soda depending upon your pool volume & it was likely unnecessary.
Leslie’s generally uses “adjusted TA” which means your actual TA (which was probably around 85 & just fine) is adjusted for cya & ph
Going forward, When using poolmath just use the actual tested TA - as it does all necessary calculations for you like a good robot 🤖😁

Seems like a lot.
It probably is this time of year. Add it and see how long it lasts. After some days, you'll know what to expect from the recent daily loss. Dose accordingly so that your next dose comes before you approach minimum FC. 4ppm may last several days now, while only 1 in the peak season.

Got the app. Looks like I'll need to add 1 gallon of Bleach per day. Seems like a lot. Weather is cold and pool's not getting much sun. Still OK?
You may have some lingering algae but cannot see it. So add the LC and continue to test to see what the daily loss is.
Once you get your test kit, suggest you do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test test as this confirms if you have any algae that may be hidden and consuming your FC. Basically, it isolates the UV loss effect from the FC test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just confirming what % I should be looking at in bleach: Sodium Hypochlorite is 7.55%. Available Chlorine is 7.17%
The percentage doesn't matter, you can change the percentage in pool math, effects of adding.

Do NOT get any bleach that is SPLASHLESS, FRAGRANCE, ANY CLOROX BRAND, OR ANYTHING THAT IS 3in1 or 6in1 technology. Just Plain Bleach.

Anything labeled Liquid Chlorine is also super.

Not having a test kit, and the fact that you have algae, and you added 4 gallons and still ended up with "pool store" tested water at .2, go ahead and add a 5ppm a day until your test kit gets here

Please setup your profile and your signature. This will help us help you when you get your kit.

Also, please share your pool logs. Sign into pool math with same ID/PW as TFP. In pool math click on gear in right upper corner. Scroll all the way to the bottom and enable pool log sharing with TFP

Tom Cruise Help GIF by MOODMAN

Just enabled log sharing. Will update signature shortly. Sorry for any confusion, but my 0.2 FC reading was BEFORE I added the bleach. After adding 4 jugs of 121oz and running overnight, the algae disappeared and water is clean. There is a very small amount of algae sitting on a couple of steps I need to brush off, but other than that water is clear. I did add another jug of bleach an hour ago.

While it’s nice that the water looks better after your addition, You’re not in the clear until you have passed ALL 3 end of slam criteria-
You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

To recap-
*add 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine daily until the kit arrives
We’re just keeping the beast at bay with this - it’s not the cure.

* once the kit arrives do all the tests
*Your cya results will determine the next steps. You will likely need to exchange some water to get that down 1st so make a plan for how you will accomplish this & read the article @Newdude Posted to see what method will work for you.
* after the cya is remedied (brought down to a reasonable level) you will then need to begin the SLAM Process to actually eradicate the algae for good, not just knock it back, so arm yourself with some liquid chlorine & scope out a place to buy more.
Hunt for a HASA dealer in your area. It’s usually the best deal & the freshest.

This is highly irritating, but no one actually uses the pool anymore so managing it is insult to injury, but oh well.

You have to look at this from a different angle: Pool maintenance is very therapeutic. Once you fixed all of the current issues, of course.

There's nothing more calming after a stressful phone call in the home office than walking out to the pool, getting the net, and collecting all those leaves one by one.

The dishes need doing? Sorry, but the pool really needs some brushing.

Mother in law coming for afternoon tea? Oh, we're out of stabilizer, really have to pop down to to the shops and buy some.

Or just hang out in a deck chair with a cold beverage, watching your pool cleaner. Will he get that leave now, or decide to take the long way?

And you have a reason to hang out in great forum with nice people, where the first (and often only) response to your questions is not "Have you tried the forum search?".

You have to look at this from a different angle: Pool maintenance is very therapeutic. Once you fixed all of the current issues, of course.

There's nothing more calming after a stressful phone call in the home office than walking out to the pool, getting the net, and collecting all those leaves one by one.

The dishes need doing? Sorry, but the pool really needs some brushing.

Mother in law coming for afternoon tea? Oh, we're out of stabilizer, really have to pop down to to the shops and buy some.

Or just hang out in a deck chair with a cold beverage, watching your pool cleaner. Will he get that leave now, or decide to take the long way?

And you have a reason to hang out in great forum with nice people, where the first (and often only) response to your questions is not "Have you tried the forum search?".
Thanks for the alternate viewpoint. Trying to do that in life, but the pool REALLY gets my goat ;-)

<venting>
The Polaris cleaner by itself has these things that constantly need attention: Tail spraying outside, wagging incorrectly or clogged, tail getting sucked into the bag, scrubber worn. Bag full/torn, in line filter 1 clogged, in line filter 2 clogged. Hose cracked, too long, relief valve working correctly. Cleaner not moving in straight line, floating/climbing too much/little, stuck on steps, spraying outside.

Then there's the rest: skimmer full, pump cavitating, too many leaves in pool, freeze alert, water level too high (skimmer can't filter surface debris) or too low (pump cavitating). Did the pool turn on/off (I built a Lutron Caseta based control system which was an improvement over the manumatic controller and works most of the time but not always). Pump basket full, cover leaking. Equipment failure, leaks.

And I haven't even mentioned the chemical balance, etc.

Seems like a full time job. I am an engineer and in my younger days would have appreciated the technical challenge, but as I've grown older I appreciate simple designs. The pool is not one of them. Too much exposed wiring to worry about. If I had to worry about this much stuff for my car, I'd probably stop driving.

Don't have a pet because we thought it'd be too much work. But, I got a pool instead! Can't leave it behind unattended.
</venting>

Thanks for listening!

Anyone have recommendations on robotic cleaners?

Anyone have recommendations on robotic cleaners?
S200/active 20 or equivalent dolphin, just enough bells & whistles but not too many that will go unused as those whistles & bells 🔔 cost 💰.
Check out Marina they have some comparison charts & good prices, they do over the phone sales & it is considered brick & mortar so you keep the full warranty.

Reactions: mgtfp and Newdude
I used to be quite resentful about our pool. Didn't want a pool, but house had one when we bought it. Wanted to fill it in, but friends convinced us to keep it, at least while the kids are in pool age.

Then came Covid, and the pool gave me something to do at home that wasn't work. Something to do to switch off from work, while my home was my work place. And I came to appreciate it. We made peace, and the pool is now my friend. A friend, that needs some looking after. Maybe more like a pet.

OK, that's maybe a bit over dramatized. The point is that I changed my attitude. An attitude that I had decided before not to change.

Can't give you much advice on robots, I'm using a good old fashioned suction side cleaner. Price to value of a robot in my opinion not worth it, but that's me, others have a different opinion on that.

The chemistry is the easy bit. Take some time to absorb as much information as possible on this site. Once you have understood, why to do things a certain way, it should become easy. And also low maintenance once dialed in.

Get a salt water chlorinator.

And for all the repetitive stuff like emptying the skimmers, fishing leaves out with the net, etc, you could train a teenager from the neighbourhood and pay them a few bucks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.