Got my test kit and results! Now what?

You said vac head on bottom? I don't have a vacuum because I don't get enough pressure to work one. I can't afford to spend $300+ on a new filter, I'd rather just not have a pool at this point. I've been at this for 2 weeks and the water is still not clear. I notice changes in pictures but Im just getting too frustrated with this. I've went through almost two 2 oz bottles FAS-DPD spending $13 a bottle and I just had to order another one. On top of that I've poured at least 20 gallons of bleach into this pool in a two week time frame. At this point it seems cheaper and easier just to drain and start fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand why my filter is not big enough I have a 6,000 gallon pool and i have a 3,000 gph sand filter. It said in the description it would work for my pool. Am I going to even be able to operate off of this filter? Without being able to hook a vacuum up? Considering getting rid of the pool if that's the case.

I understand your frustration. My picture is from a swamp I helped with in person. Before you do anything drastic, let's see what Kim, and maybe a couple other experts say. Could you please share the most recent pics you have please? It will help them gauge your rate of improvement and give you best advice.

This is my latest pic from yesterday. It's entirely too rainy today to take a picture. I did finally get the vacuum to work. I just have to set it to backwash for about 10 seconds and put it back in filter and the suction is 100x better. Not sure why this is the case though.

IMG_0961.jpg

Mkla, I've read your thread form the beginning and figured I might add a few comments or words of encouragement:
- My first pool was something like yours, but an Intex. Regardless though, cloudy water means algae is still holding a grip on your chemistry.
- The ladder; can you remove it? I've seen where those metal ladders have an incredible amount of algae living in between each rung/step. It's amazing.
- When was the last time you tested your CYA on a bright, sunny day? Early on it was about 40 after the drain, but then you showed it at about 60. It might be good to test it again if you can.
- What water sample size are you using to test your FC (free chlorine)? The Taylor recommended 25 ML sample, or 10 ML sample?

I will definitely removed the ladder. It has grainy sand textured white stuff on it. Is that dead algae? Should I buy a new one? I tested my CYA after I got a lot of rain and it was at 50. Might test again tomorrow since it's flooding here in OK. I am testing the 10ml sample.

It has grainy sand textured white stuff on it. Is that dead algae?
Possibly. I'm just more concerned with there being junk stuck in the steps that is creating more algae while you're trying to kill algae in the water. I've seen other members open-up those steps only to be grossed-out by the contents. Since your water was black from last year, I wouldn't be surprised if that ladder was part of the problem. No need to run-out and buy a new one right away. Let's see how the pool reacts once you remove the old one. When you get time, see if you can pry those steps apart to take a peek inside. I'm curious now. :)

Testing CYA once the weather clears will probably be good. 10 ML sample size is perfect as well. Just wanted to make sure. :goodjob:

You are heading in the right direction. You are at the mercy of your filter now. If you want to you can put your vacuum in the pool upside down. That will have your water going to the filter two ways-Top (skimmer) and bottom (vacuum). That might speed it up some.

:hug:

Kim:kim:

Ah, one other thing I'd recommend if you aren't already doing it already .... those Intex/Coleman pools don't always have the greatest water movement/circulation, mainly because of limited return flow access. Only do those pool owners who customized their pool with larger equipment, additional returns, wall-thru skimmer, etc see the benefits of such modifications. So with a stock Coleman pool, I think it prudent to brush/sweep the water at convenient times of the day - the more the better really. I know a SLAM already requires steady brushing, so if you're doing that already, you should be good. I just wanted to point-out the possibility of poor circulation (in general) with some of those pools and that extra water movement could help. We have some members who joke about letting their kids hop into the pool during a SLAM just for the added activity, circulation, and properly when equipment with a scrubby brush, extra cleaning. :)

Please re-read the SLAM procedure......there is no "how long to wait". Get FC up to 24 ppm....you are Not SLAMming until you do.Next, test every 4-5 hours or so and replenish it to 24 ppm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After you put your bleach in, do you ever re-test like 15-30 min later to confirm you reached your SLAM level? Do this once in a while if you're not sure you're actually reaching your desired level.

Are you buying quality bleach, staying away from cheap dollar store 3% bargain basement bleach or old stuff??

Yip :flower:

Update::
I have been vacuuming and removed the ladder and the water is improving. Thank you guys for your advice. This is so frustrating because I'm so impatient!

1578aa842f40b1eada4567d3600fe985.jpg

:hug: just think.....once you get it clear you will have the tools (test kit and TFP) so you will never have to do this again!

Kim:kim:

Unless you are me [emoji23][emoji23] SLAM'd twice already this year but not all of it was my fault lol

Mkla216 - Nice progress!!! Keep that FC topped off, brushing, vac, and filter going 24/7. Congrats on getting the vac to work!!! Don't backwash early, but backwash when needed! You'll get there!
clambert1273 - SLAMs aren't anything to be ashamed of! Life happens! The real takeaway is you're a master at getting it back your TFP after life happens. Congrats to you too!

Ran out of CYA reagent and went up to the local pool store just to see if he had any. Apparently putting bleach into your pool is a harmful and I should use his liquid chlorine. And Taylor test kits are from the dinosaur age and aren't as accurate as his disc reader is. LOL [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Ask him to read the labels and tell you the difference between bleach and liquid chlorine. That should be fascinating.

As for your cloudiness problem, are you running your filter 24x7 during the SLAM?

Yay! Congratulations! Stick with it and you'll get crystal clear! I'm grateful that you were patient enough and trusted us and are seeing the benefits of the proven SLAM technique. Using TFP, you might be able to avoid ever having to do this again, or at least until you open next season! Either way, you're in for a great summer!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.