Got my test kit and results! Now what?

If you are raising the FC with bleach, then it will not raise the CYA. Shock level is the level you must maintain during the SLAM process to ensure you are killing the algae faster than it can grow. Have you read the SLAM process?

I have read the SLAM process but it didn't explain how to measure shock FC. The chart says get my FC to 8 and get my shock FC to 20. Is there a difference between shock FC and FC? I guess I don't understand because those are two totally different numbers and idk how to measure the shock FC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ignore the target and focus on shock fc during the slam. If you have the Taylor or txt test kit you m azure fc and he same way, it just takes more drops for the sample to turn clear. Only after you meet all three criteria- 1 oclt < .5, 2 cc <.5, 3 3 water clear, can you let fc drop back to the target numbers

So I tested my CYA again today because it rained a lot here in OK so I just wanted to see if it went down. The cya is now at 60! What the heck can I do to lower it? Or do I need to lower it? I also added a gallon of bleach and waited an hour and my FC is now at 11.5! So that's good. How long should I wait to add more?

So I tested my CYA again today because it rained a lot here in OK so I just wanted to see if it went down. The cya is now at 60! What the heck can I do to lower it? Or do I need to lower it? I also added a gallon of bleach and waited an hour and my FC is now at 11.5! So that's good. How long should I wait to add more?

If you are still SLAMming, your FC should be maintained at 24 for a CYA of 60, not at 11.5.

If you got a previous CYA result of 50 (there is no 45, always round up the 'in-between' numbers), then now get 60, it is most likely your testing method.

CYA is the toughest test to get down. Remember, you can always pour the sample back into to mixing bottle and perform the test a couple of more times with the same sample. Are you checking outdoors on a bright sunny day, back to the sun with the comparator tube at waist level?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are testing in an hour and the FC has dropped below shock level you should immediately bring it back up to shock level.

Remember, SLAM stands for Shock Level, And Maintain.

Maintain that shock level as best you can.

You want to pour enough bleach in there to *maintain* a FC level of 24, now that we think your cya is 60. Your step by steps will be:

1) test FC.....if less than 24..

2) Use PoolMath to tell you how much bleach to add to bring it back up to 24. Add that bleach and keep pump on.

3) One hour, or as soon as possible after an hour, Re-test FC..... if less than 24....

4) Use PoolMath to tell you how much bleach to add to bring it back up to 24. Add that bleach and keep pump on

5) repeat above steps as often as possible until pool is crystal clear, your CCs are less than 0.5 and then....

6) Attempt an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) and if your FC loss is 1 or less......you are DONE!!

I measure last night and my FC was at 17 I added the recommended amount of bleach for my pool per the pool calc and it shut up to 35. I did this again measure when I got home from work FC was 16 added recommended amount of bleach and it shot up to 30. What am I doing wrong. I can't get it right at 24.

We all understand that life gets in the way. If you could at least add one more check/dose in the evening it would really help.

Either your pool volume is less than you think, or you are not selecting the correct strength bleach.

Can you tell us what you entered into pool math?

My pool is an 18 ft Coleman it's 6000 gallons. I entered 6000 at the top of the calculator. I put 16 as my currently FC and 24 as my target. Pool calc said to add 100oz of 6% bleach. I added it near the intake sloshed it around and waited an hour to test and it is at 30 now.

First, let me say that you're doing really great. Please do keep asking questions as all of yours have been great! Yes, some were answered somewhere in pool school, but you're in the heat of battle right now, so it's totally okay to ask what you need to. Be sure to read all of pool school that applies to you when you have time, even if you read it before, it will all make more sense now.

As for your bleach additions: make sure you have the gallons set to 6,000 every time you use PoolMath. Make sure you test using the correct procedure when swirling and counting drops. Here is a video in case you are a visual learner. https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100testkit?feature=results_main

Here is a screen shot showing all the fields you would need to complete before pressing calculate to determine a bleach addition:
poolmath.JPG
Be sure you see what % your bleach is on the bottle - could be anywhere from 6-12.5%. Be sure to put that in there.

You're not adding any other sources of chlorine like shock, packets, tablets, salt water generator, floater, sticks, powder, or anything like that, correct?

Attachments

• poolmath.JPG
    poolmath.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 151

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.