Got my test kit and results! Now what?

Mikayla, I just read this thread for the first time tonight, from the start to the present I have noticed that you are gaining knowledge and understanding already. I am just getting started and have read a lot of posts and "pool school" over and over. It is a lot to learn, it gets easier. Your doing good, don't give up. Stay at it ... your almost there.

You got this! The higher FC could be that the bleach is higher than "normal". It might be really fresh.

When you put your gallons in the pool math do NOT put the , in. For some reason pool math does not like it.

YES the turning to blue is GREAT! you are on your way to a clear pool! SWEET!

:hug: don't quit now!

Kim:kim:

Progress picture. There's some grass in the pool. Oklahoma wind is my kryptonite

ad084a768ec995a9bb4b651c2f8fcce2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Black to Turquoise in a week! Woo! Congrats! Overshooting the shock FC by a little isn't likely to harm anything assuming a reliable CYA reading - but - if you want to be on the extra cautious side on the evening readings you can add like 75% of whatever pool math says, wait 15-30 mins with pump running, retest, and then see how close you are, add a little more if needed. Slower than the one step, but if it puts your mind at ease, it could be worth it. It is what I do when I add acid if I'm between readings on the block. Prevents overshoots.

Agree with above and summarizing/clarifying (hopefully) posts from pooldv and frustratedpoolmom:
Safe to swim when:
Ph is 7.2 to 7.8 (you can likely assume if you had it in here before the SLAM and have not added anything other than CYA/bleach that you're still good assuming you don't know the pool to have rapidly rising or falling ph - if that is the case, wait until FC under 10 and retest to verify safe PH)
FC is above minimum (for your CYA)
FC is below shock level (for your CYA)
Water is clear enough to see the bottom everywhere in your pool (yes even the deep end)
Water is not excessively cloudy
FC is holding fairly well, obviously not being obliterated by killing algae
You waited 15-30 minutes after adding chemicals (depends on chemical amount and circulation)

Safety first. But as long as those are all good to go, no harm in swimming during your SLAM, in fact, it can make brushing quite refreshing to do it with goggles :)

Not seeing too much of a change in the waters clarity and color. I've been slamming for about 4 days now. What are y'all thoughts? Should I be testing all the other things every two hours as well? I've just been doing FC.

ad39e0b00ddbd4a55f472ea817a747e7.jpg

Another update picture. I can now stick my arm in elbow deep and see it clearly. Past that is still cloudy. Color has improved! I just want to thank you all again for being patient with me and giving me advise on this. I know last summer we spent $50+ a month in shock alone. I'm not even spending that and I'm slamming the pool, which I assume is the most expensive part of maintaining the pool. I can't believe I was so pool stupid before. The lady at the pool store down the street from me asked me if I murdered somebody when I went through her line last week with 10 gallons of bleach in the cart. That was definitely the highlight of my week. On sale buy one get one half off at $2.50 a gallon. Heck ya!

7b4783538d207d5fbdabeff60b0b67d4.jpg

You are really starting to blue up good! NICE!

Oh yeah on the $$$! I so hear you! If you want to throw TFP some money you can become a supporting member (see blue oval at the top of the page). It gets you a discount on the test stuff, a discount from Swimming Pool Supplies - Pool Parts - INYOPools.com, a pretty badge by your name AND helps us keep the lights on!

:hug: you are doing a great job!

Kim:kim:

Doing great! Stay the course, keep filtration going, keep topped off to shock FC per cya, check filter PSI and backwash only when you reach 25% higher pressure than clean PSI. Backwashing prematurely will only slow you down during the de-cloudy phase as the slightly dirty sand grabs the smaller particles spectacularly. Likewise, going much over 25%, say anywhere above 30% will also slow you down.

Any questions? Again, you're doing great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.