Got my k-2006c today. Crud results...

And... how much CYA is that going to add to your pool? Do you at least have a volume for each stick?

hmmm, I don't like that at all. You really do NOT want to overshoot CYA, but you also do need it actually IN the water for your SWG to work effectively.

Clearly it didnt add enough cya as I was not able to make the dot disappear.

The guy was pretty adamant that I do not put more than I need as i would be screwed after that. I'm assuming the SWG is working well since I have such a high FC? Especially with it being 30c and over everyday for the last week.

Do you have a kitchen scale that you can weigh one of those sticks with? Can you also check the ingredients for that product? It should be only cyanuric acid, with no other ingredients. Else even with weighing them, you're shooting in the dark with those.

Also, you'll want to add all of them at one time. Assuming you have room for all of them in the skimmer... But first you need to determine if 10 is the correct amount. You're looking to get CYA to 60-70ppm. No more though.

The SWG is going to make chlorine no matter what your CYA level is. I think I said that incorrectly, the SWG will work with or without CYA. But for the chlorine that it makes to be at it's most effective, you need higher CYA than a manually chlorinated pool. I'm sure someone else can explain that better than I have...

Reactions: shaneymack
Do you have a kitchen scale that you can weigh one of those sticks with? Can you also check the ingredients for that product? It should be only cyanuric acid, with no other ingredients. Else even with weighing them, you're shooting in the dark with those.

Also, you'll want to add all of them at one time. Assuming you have room for all of them in the skimmer... But first you need to determine if 10 is the correct amount. You're looking to get CYA to 60-70ppm. No more though.

Cant weight them because I've used them all. Also, no ingredients on the package. I had dissolved the 10 bars like I was instructed and was too low on my test tonight so I added two more. I guess I need to find the CYA most of you guys use. What stabilizer do most use on here?

Clearly it didnt add enough cya as I was not able to make the dot disappear.

The guy was pretty adamant that I do not put more than I need as i would be screwed after that. I'm assuming the SWG is working well since I have such a high FC? Especially with it being 30c and over everyday for the last week.

Did you put all 10 in already?

And yes, the pool guy is correct about too much being a problem. Your FC isn't really that high. Don't stress about that right now.

Cant weight them because I've used them all. Also, no ingredients on the package. I had dissolved the 10 bars like I was instructed and was too low on my test tonight so I added two more. I guess I need to find the CYA most of you guys use. What stabilizer do most use on here?

So, that's 12 sticks total? Have they all dissolved?

Personally I'm fond of the HTH Stabilizer. I got it at Amazon for about $14. It's super soluble, and when added in a sock tied in front of the return or ladder and squished a couple times over about half an hour it'll all dissolve, and therefore be IN the water for sure. It's a dry powder so fairly easy to weigh out or use a measuring cup to add. You can also buy liquid stabilizer.

So, that's 12 sticks total? Have they all dissolved?

Personally I'm fond of the HTH Stabilizer. I got it at Amazon for about $14. It's super soluble, and when added in a sock tied in front of the return or ladder and squished a couple times over about half an hour it'll all dissolve, and therefore be IN the water for sure. It's a dry powder so fairly easy to weigh out or use a measuring cup to add. You can also buy liquid stabilizer.
That is awesome. I will look for the hth stabilizer, thank you.

I bought the only acid they had at the pool store today. I see that it is 20° baume but what % is it ? Is it automatically 31.45% ?
Yep, that is the 31.45% stuff. When you add it I would recommend eyeballing how much of the container you're using instead of measuring into a cup as it means one less time pouring. Wear old clothes, don't get it on your deck, etc. Pour slowly in by a return jet while the pump is running. Try to be upwind from where you're pouring it. The fumes can be pretty strong. Don't add within 30 minutes of adding liquid chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, that is the 31.45% stuff. When you add it I would recommend eyeballing how much of the container you're using instead of measuring into a cup as it means one less time pouring. Wear old clothes, don't get it on your deck, etc. Pour slowly in by a return jet while the pump is running. Try to be upwind from where you're pouring it. The fumes can be pretty strong. Don't add within 30 minutes of adding liquid chlorine.
All great tips, thank you. How long after I add the acid can we swim?

what he said... Some people decant into another measuring container and then dump it in the pool from there. I don't like the extra step. I've a pretty good idea of volume from the jug and I put little line on the jug with a Sharpie before I pour. Then I add slowly from the Jug and watch how much I decant. I used to have a calibration stick so I knew how much was a half pint, pint, quart, etc. and I would put a second target line. Now I can just eye ball it pretty good.

Its an old trick I learned in college so I don't drink too much tequila in one sitting... :p ;)

Last edited:
Good job on the Muriatic Acid. Not sure what you paid for it, but I get it in the paint section of my nearest big box retailer for about $5/gallon. You don't HAVE to get it from the pool store unless it is cheaper or they are the only ones that carry it. An added benefit, that is one less reason to walk into a pool store. Come to think of it, I have been in my local pool store 1 time in the past 2 years. That makes me feel good.

Good job on the Muriatic Acid. Not sure what you paid for it, but I get it in the paint section of my nearest big box retailer for about $5/gallon. You don't HAVE to get it from the pool store unless it is cheaper or they are the only ones that carry it. An added benefit, that is one less reason to walk into a pool store. Come to think of it, I have been in my local pool store 1 time in the past 2 years. That makes me feel good.
I didnt pay anything. He gave me what I needed for free. Until this water is perfect i refuse to pay for anything. He said he would deliver pool with perfect water. I think it was 10$ per bottle.

Shaney, I have to say a couple things. Nothing is absolute. Adding too little of something to pool water--with the exception of chlorine--is not a problem. Adding too much, though, can be bad. CYA, for example. It just doesn't go away, so you have to drain out some water and refill, thus diluting all the other stuff in the water. I noted that your pool store guy told you that. You don't always get good advice like that from a pool store, but you did, so the blanket condemnation of pool stores may not be appropriate. Someone else here suggested under-adding of stuff. I pretty much always do that (again, except for chlorine.) This is not a one chance only deal. You add a little acid and tormorrow you test again. Still low? Add a little more.

Pool store tests. I did the complete TF-100 test set one morning on a pool sample. I took a second sample to my nearby Leslies. Leslies almost matched every item. They had an additional decimal place in one, and they got CH of 210 compared to my 225. Of course, I can only get 200 or 225, since one "drop" is 25. So Leslies did good water testing--or we both did bad water testing. I buy 12.5% chlorine at that Leslies at a price a bit lower than Walmart. While I'm there I also buy muriatic acid 31.45%. Both of those products come in 1-gallon (U.S.) containers four to a box--easy to stack and store. I also bought a thermometer from Leslies. My wife from time to time makes in impulse purchase of a gadget or float. This particular Leslies also offers a cartridge filter cleaning service, although I've not tried it. And I've bought a couple of miscellaneous parts from them. They never try to sell me anything I don't ask for. I plan now whenever I need chlorine, to do a full TF-100 test and get a second opinion from my local Leslies.

Finally, Shaney, that's one deep swimming pool you have.

I didnt pay anything. He gave me what I needed for free. Until this water is perfect i refuse to pay for anything. He said he would deliver pool with perfect water. I think it was 10$ per bottle.

If that's the case, I'd suggest not buying stabilizer online but instead getting it from the pool guy. You can request not to use those weird sticks that don't allow you to accurately know what you're adding to the water. Dry powder or liquid stabilizer is the norm, so he CAN get it if he doesn't have any on hand. Stay away from those sticks. Any product that doesn't list it's ingredients is quite suspect.

If they've all dissolved, wait to add any more till you can get a proper CYA reading. I'd wait 48hr from the time they dissolved to do that test so you can be very sure your reading is accurate.

Shaney, I have to say a couple things. Nothing is absolute. Adding too little of something to pool water--with the exception of chlorine--is not a problem. Adding too much, though, can be bad. CYA, for example. It just doesn't go away, so you have to drain out some water and refill, thus diluting all the other stuff in the water. I noted that your pool store guy told you that. You don't always get good advice like that from a pool store, but you did, so the blanket condemnation of pool stores may not be appropriate. Someone else here suggested under-adding of stuff. I pretty much always do that (again, except for chlorine.) This is not a one chance only deal. You add a little acid and tormorrow you test again. Still low? Add a little more.

Pool store tests. I did the complete TF-100 test set one morning on a pool sample. I took a second sample to my nearby Leslies. Leslies almost matched every item. They had an additional decimal place in one, and they got CH of 210 compared to my 225. Of course, I can only get 200 or 225, since one "drop" is 25. So Leslies did good water testing--or we both did bad water testing. I buy 12.5% chlorine at that Leslies at a price a bit lower than Walmart. While I'm there I also buy muriatic acid 31.45%. Both of those products come in 1-gallon (U.S.) containers four to a box--easy to stack and store. I also bought a thermometer from Leslies. My wife from time to time makes in impulse purchase of a gadget or float. This particular Leslies also offers a cartridge filter cleaning service, although I've not tried it. And I've bought a couple of miscellaneous parts from them. They never try to sell me anything I don't ask for. I plan now whenever I need chlorine, to do a full TF-100 test and get a second opinion from my local Leslies.

Finally, Shaney, that's one deep swimming pool you have.
I agree with everything you said and thank you for the comments. My pool store typically does a good job, they are very well know small family business. I still plan ok doing all my own testing because it will be easier and I want to keep it as simplistic as possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.