Going with Coleman 22'x52"

Jul 9, 2010
Bixby oklahoma
Moved to a new house with no pool anymore :(. thinking about Picking up the 22' this weekend. Won't begin assembly for a few weeks. Anyone got any must do tips. I read the frame can rust pretty quick. Would it be wise to spray the inside of the pipes with some sort of rust proofing? I have a 2500 Intex pump from our old pool years ago that I think I'll use along with the one that comes with the pool to maybe run a sidewall skimmer.

Site prep is the MOST important thing to do for any aboveground pool! Lots of hard work that will pay off in the end. There are several threads on who some have done it. I will let you do a search to find one that best fits your needs.

Kim:kim:

I also just bought the 22x52, but went with Intex Ultra Frame. Local Walmart only has the Coleman in store, but I ordered the Intex for basically the same price and the ship-to-store shipping is free. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-22-x-52-Ultra-Frame-Above-Ground-Swimming-Pool-with-Filter-Pump/47215826

This will replace an Intex 18x48 metal frame that I have had up for 8 years and is a little too rusty to try another year. I do think saltwater increases the rusting - I have had saltwater for the last 6 years, but it is manageable. I do leave the pool up year round and cover it over the winter, which is fairly mild here in central MS. After the first year on salt, everything was rusting. The frame supports, ladder, hose clamps, pump casing, etc. I now spray all my hose clamps and metal fittings with marine lithium grease every spring and this has solved that issue. I then taped all the frame joints and ladder joints with electrical tape right over the existing rust several years ago. I replace the tape or add more as needed and I believe this it the #1 reason it has lasted 6 years on salt and 8 years total.

As for your pool, no matter the brand I suggest salt water, but I strongly suggest getting a sand filter either way. Pump and sand filter combos are so cheap now, its silly not to get one.

Thanks for the info ike! I have been pricing sand filters. Is the Intex brand doing well for people? I plan to do the sidewall skimmer too. I have my old 2500 cartridge pump from my old easy set so I'll have 2 of those for now. Might run the skimmer off one. I had salt before and it did great. My last house had a huge inground and I got really good at using bleach so I may go that route for now. My other issue is I don't have a good place to discharge waste and backwash water other than the grass and I've had salt water kill it. I was draining the whole pool at the time so I'm sure the concentration was too much for it.

Bleach is definitely recommended to daily chlorine use. If you administer properly, you really never have to get to shock level. Unless you allow your chemical balance to go out of wack. The Intex sand filters work pretty well, but I personally use Hayward products and haven't had any issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.