Glass Tile vs Plaster for Entire Concrete Pool

apg1428

Jun 16, 2022
San Francisco Bay Area
I'm sure this question has been asked before (couldn't find the relevant thread) -- we are doing a new in-ground pool and debating between plaster vs glass tile for the entire pool. Our PB said that the glass tiled (1") pool will be about 40%-50% more expensive but requires less maintenance/ repairs and is easier to clean. For the plaster pool, we will have to re-finish it every 8-10 years or so. Is that your experience?

We also asked about porcelain tile -- the PB e doesn't recommend it because they don't have the beveled edge like the glass, so corners are very hard and the tiles are too small to miter. He had not seen any quarter rounds for the edges that were 1" they tend to be 6" minimum so all of our edges would have a seam.

We are trying to evaluate initial high costs vs long-term costs. I'd greatly appreciate your input.

I'm sure this question has been asked before (couldn't find the relevant thread) -- we are doing a new in-ground pool and debating between plaster vs glass tile for the entire pool. Our PB said that the glass tiled (1") pool will be about 40%-50% more expensive but requires less maintenance/ repairs and is easier to clean. For the plaster pool, we will have to re-finish it every 8-10 years or so. Is that your experience?

We also asked about porcelain tile -- the PB e doesn't recommend it because they don't have the beveled edge like the glass, so corners are very hard and the tiles are too small to miter. He had not seen any quarter rounds for the edges that were 1" they tend to be 6" minimum so all of our edges would have a seam.

We are trying to evaluate initial high costs vs long-term costs. I'd greatly appreciate your input.
I’m not sure where the PB got the info from on cleaning and maintenance but think of it this way… in your kitchen would you rather clean a single slab of material like granite/quartz or would you prefer cleaning grout lines on tiles?

Both require proper water chemistry but a plaster pool done correctly will last much longer than 8-10 years. Mine is on year 22 and it’s time to resurface it.

Reactions: apg1428
I think the PB's numbers are a bit off - he's underestimating what it will cost to tile and over-speculating on the replacement rate of plaster.

Tiled pools are AMAZING because porcelain tile (or glass) is basically a chemically inert surface. It's only the cement grout that would cause issues BUT if you use epoxy grout instead (which you should!), then that issue goes away as well. You can do amazing things with tile in terms of color and patterns. It is really the perfect pool surface .... BUT ....

TILING A POOL IS WICKEDLY EXPENSIVE!!!!

Do you have an unlimited budget? How much are you willing to spend and how big is this pool that you intend to build? Just try to get a rough estimate of the surface area of the pool and then go tile shopping at a place that sells pool tile and multiply your proposed surface area with the $$/sq ft of tile cost. Have some fainting salts on hand to revive yourself with ...

But, let's say you're one of those Uber-rich Silicon Valley keyboard kids that built a social media empire off an idea you came up with while playing beer-pong with your buddies in college. If that's you, then go for it!! Just make sure the tile contractor has experience working with pools and with epoxy grout.

If you're like most of us, and you don't have a magic money tree in the backyard, then plaster is a perfectly acceptable option that, if applied correctly and treated properly, can easily go 15-20 years before you're ready to rip it out.

Confirm that you and your Pool Builder are on the same page with the quality of a glass tile pool.

Glass tile installations often cut corners leaving out waterproofing and using inferior products.

Find out the cost for a glass tile pool that meets these standards.

Here are material recommendations from a glass tile manufacturer...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0429/0022/6199/files/OGT-Pool-Water-Feature-Installation.pdf?v=1625588595

1626430671428-png.355575
full
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: apg1428
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.