CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-25
I wanted to change the GFCI location making the outlet "standard" and change the circuit's breaker to GFCI. Any reason this might be an issue or cause problems?

CT,

Any outside outlet has to be GFCI protected.. It does not matter if the protection is in the outlet or at the circuit breaker..

Not sure I see the advantage in what you want to do... :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

CT,

Any outside outlet has to be GFCI protected.. It does not matter if the protection is in the outlet or at the circuit breaker..

Not sure I see the advantage in what you want to do... :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am looking to make the outlets "smart" so that I can turn the lights on and off and set a schedule for the pump. As far as I know there are no GFCI smart outlets, so figured I would just move the function down stream.

I am looking to make the outlets "smart" so that I can turn the lights on and off and set a schedule for the pump. As far as I know there are no GFCI smart outlets, so figured I would just move the function down stream.
If outside or within 2-3 ft of a water source, the outlet must be a GFCI. This is due to the fact that water in a standard outlet won't exactly trip the breaker, as it's not technically overloading it. So, the outlet itself should be able to trip.

Now, if you don't mind gettin a little redneck with it ..
What I would do is buy some extra wiring and conduit - the plastic piping to house the wires for outside use, if needed. Mount whatever gadget you want to control it to the wall inside, then splice the wire leading to the GFCI and force it to go through your smart gadget, so it acts like a switch.

Keep in mind, this is by no means a professional way of doing it, but it would work. :p Just do so at your own risk.

I use GFCI breakers for my pool equipment and a circuit of backyard outlets. They work great for me, so I think as long as you know what you're doing in the panel (GFCI breakers get wired differently in the panel than the breaker you'll replace) you'll be happy with the result.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.