Getting started! Owner Build in SoCal

With us getting closer to Tile time, any recommendations for waterproofing materials/brands? The spa will have an infinity edge and the wifey went with hand made Heath tiles , so we want to make sure we don’t get any Efflorescence through the spa wall and also the raised bond beam....

I've had good luck with Merlex- Super Blockade but there are many others that can be used. Regardless of the product make sure that it's rated for both the positive and negative side since you're placing this on a dam wall. A lot of products are only rated for one side and not the other.

Reactions: kimkats
This stuff is $$$ but you'll have zero maintenance issues:

For the SPA Waterproofing - Aquron CPSP

Warerline Tile - Merlex- Super Blockade (two coats)

Grout - SPECTRALOCK® PRO Premium Grout

The guy's name is Pathway???

Sorry, the name of the company is Pathway Melrose. It’s a one man shop, the owner is Steve, and he’s amazing! He only sells for Stepstone and Arto, both awesome companies out of LA. He has gone over and beyond and sells for prices no one can compete with. His number is 323-745-0072. I will also say that when we had the issue with our coping, he literally drove to Stepstone and met with their team to have it resolved ASAP. Can’t recommend him enough.

Reactions: kimkats
Debating on a contractor for plaster. We have one that was incredibly low priced, and will be skipping over them. One was middle of the road, and offered a one year warranty for workmanship. And the other was higher (by $2,000, and even more if we decide to add glass), but offered a 10 year warranty for workmanship. Any feedback on whether the additional warranty is worth the extra price?

Additionally, any feedback on micro fusion vs radiant fusion? And whether to add glass or shells to micro. As for color, we’ve debated with white, French, and Tahoe. I think the white might blend too much with our bottom retaining walls (also white), the French might be too similar to our coping/pavers, so it may be Tahoe. Which seems a little dark, but the contrast would be nice. I think.

Posting a quick new picture of today’s progress. Pool coping is almost 100% complete. Our 4 steps in the center are a little small and we are waiting for replacement, besides that- it’s done! Water features installed and piped. They crew is working on stucco for our lower retaining wall and then will start putting down the base to start installing pavers. Tiling should start in the next week or so. I think it’s being pushed to one of the final projects to complete. Our yard is definitely taking shape. And we are keeping our fingers crossed that it will be ready to use by summer.

Attachments

• CFF82681-7824-4FE8-BA23-F98BF5715909.jpeg
    CFF82681-7824-4FE8-BA23-F98BF5715909.jpeg
    583.9 KB · Views: 80

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This stuff is $$$ but you'll have zero maintenance issues:

For the SPA Waterproofing - Aquron CPSP

Warerline Tile - Merlex- Super Blockade (two coats)

Grout - SPECTRALOCK® PRO Premium Grout
Picked up the Aquron material and was planning to apply to spa walls, raised bond beams and tile areas. Do you think I will still need to use the blockade material? Any recommendations for thinset or will a basic versabond work?

Picked up the Aquron material and was planning to apply to spa walls, raised bond beams and tile areas. Do you think I will still need to use the blockade material? Any recommendations for thinset or will a basic versabond work?

I used the Blockcade and Platinum 254....
Aquron CPSP can be used on the entire pool shell, give them a call, very helpful. Aquron CPSP act like a elastomer, so it's really good for wet-dry-wet areas like the SPA.

Reactions: WalkerTribe7

Don't use Versabond, it's not rated for submerged applications and will actually start to dissolve if enough water gets behind the tiles. I second the suggestion for Laticrete Platinum 254 thinset. If you want to use Custom Building products (makers of Versabond) I'd suggest their Pro-lite large format tile thinset. It's one of their only thinsets rated for submerged applications.

Reactions: WalkerTribe7
Thank you to everyone who has given us feedback. We went with the Laticrete Platinum 254 thinset. And tiling has begun! Our tile is from Heath Ceramic, and they are hand glazed causing lots of variation to the color. We picked a blue, which is very much out of my comfort zone of black, white and grey- but it’s a subtle bluish gray. What’s not subtle is the amazing variation.

I’m so excited. Will post a few pictures of the pool edge and the start of the raised bond beam. I will also post all the tile that we laid out! Each and every single tile was laid out in the backyard so the crew could mix and match the variations as they went along. That way, instead of pulling from batches/boxes and getting groups of dark and groups of light it will all be mixed. This pool has definitely been an adventure for us.. and our contractor! I truly think they believe I’m crazy ?

Attachments

• C2F0DAFF-119B-4C85-AC37-E39C75E77162.jpeg
    C2F0DAFF-119B-4C85-AC37-E39C75E77162.jpeg
    609.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 8B5344B2-2AE4-4518-B870-06B38EDEB2F9.jpeg
    8B5344B2-2AE4-4518-B870-06B38EDEB2F9.jpeg
    620.5 KB · Views: 79
  • FF8CE606-310F-48AF-A8D3-D86D35E10ED1.jpeg
    FF8CE606-310F-48AF-A8D3-D86D35E10ED1.jpeg
    503.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 6DB4127B-B4DA-47F4-AA85-61C37E4AB241.jpeg
    6DB4127B-B4DA-47F4-AA85-61C37E4AB241.jpeg
    499.5 KB · Views: 73
Should have also updated that pool equipment was installed and electrician still has a little bit left to finish. I think we are one of his first IntelliCenters, so his crew stayed very late one night and will be back soon to finish. Only slight issue was our filter cover was damaged. The company we bought it from has blamed the plumber, the plumber blamed the company. Pentair was contacted and they are planning to cover the cover and send us a new one, however, they are stating that my warranty for everything is voided since I bought at the Las Vegas company and had shipped. I’m furious over this because I specifically called Pentair and asked them and the Las Vegas company. Fingers crossed this woman from Pentair just misspoke.

Here is a picture of the equipment currently

Attachments

• C4CB3A8E-F160-47E5-A464-80E424453C9A.jpeg
    C4CB3A8E-F160-47E5-A464-80E424453C9A.jpeg
    726.6 KB · Views: 49
  • A71BA914-9B94-4E75-B26E-18FFD947F2E4.jpeg
    A71BA914-9B94-4E75-B26E-18FFD947F2E4.jpeg
    463.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 302F74B8-9F93-443E-8433-E7FE12969C55.jpeg
    302F74B8-9F93-443E-8433-E7FE12969C55.jpeg
    689 KB · Views: 52
I am loving that tile!!! You are MY kind of crazy!! That is the ONLY way to help the tilers to mix and match those colors. They are doing a great job making it look awesome! You picked a good crew!

GUrrrrrrrrrr on the filter and mean lady! What? You can't pack it to be shipped?? Oh then how did you get it to the the company??? hummmmmmmmmm

Awesome!! More pictures please! I'd love to see one of the equipment area that shows the full width of the walking space -- is it in your "dog run" area that is so common in our CA homes or does that area have a wider margin to work with...trying to get a sense of it as I know my space is going to be tight, tight, tight.

...would also like to see a wider angle view of the whole pool, but I can wait until it's further along if you aren't anxious to post. :)

Great progress!!

Yes
Awesome!! More pictures please! I'd love to see one of the equipment area that shows the full width of the walking space -- is it in your "dog run" area that is so common in our CA homes or does that area have a wider margin to work with...trying to get a sense of it as I know my space is going to be tight, tight, tight.

...would also like to see a wider angle view of the whole pool, but I can wait until it's further along if you aren't anxious to post. :)

Great progress!!

Yes! The equipment is in a dog run. We would have had more space, but the wall between us and the neighbors has an exposed footer that we didn’t want to break up. So we will be adding a planter area to hide the footer. The space isn’t bad. I expected it to be tighter.

Attachments

• 43DA62A9-6FB5-478D-8EAA-2BF58067D186.jpeg
    43DA62A9-6FB5-478D-8EAA-2BF58067D186.jpeg
    436.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 13EB82E5-E361-4FED-8A71-2AFB30A7D28E.jpeg
    13EB82E5-E361-4FED-8A71-2AFB30A7D28E.jpeg
    435.2 KB · Views: 46

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.