Getting ready to SLAM

I tested and went from 17ppm to 10.5 ppm in about 18 hours.
Hello! :wave: Okay so that note above is one item that caught my eye. It is very important test at a frequency required to maintain the FC level as much as possible. It might require testing every 2 hours at first, then as the FC holds it will spread out, but don't wait all day before adjusting the FC unless you are at work (can't help that). But there are some basic guidelines for any SLAM Process:
- Test as much as needed to maintain the FC level
- Be sure the FC is at the proper FC level based on the CYA per the FC/CYA Levels
- Inspect, inspect, inspect. Algae is a sneaky bugger and can hide anywhere. Things like behind a light, liner folds, in the skimmer, or under a main drain cover. If you have a ladder or steps in the water they should be out of possible. Those are always algae homes.
- Circulation; be sure the chlorinated water is moving well in all areas
- Update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info we review it at each post.
- Finally, brush all surface areas to break-up any organic biofilm. Vacuum as needed and backwash/clean filter when pressure increases by 25%.

Algae simply can't survive in elevated chlorine water unless the FC/CYA ratio is not correct and/or there is an active growth somewhere, so remain vigilant for both those issues. You'll get it.

Reactions: Newdude
Thanks a bunch. I really did keep up at beginning and did all that. Pool is crystal clear and I passed overnight chlorine loss. What puzzles me is after I vacuum and the levels drop close to 10ppm then the stuff in the picture is all over the pool. I keep thinking a pass the slam process but this returns . Can you tell by the picture if that looks like mustard alage. It shows up in the same places every time and eventually comes up the wall. I’m going to take the steps out and take the light out and see if I can find some alage. I do not understand why I’m passing the overnight chlorine test though it it’s alage

I think in your situation a MA treatment is warranted. The MA chlorine level is only maintained for 24 hours and no one can swim during that period. The link below does a good job explaining the process. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Grayman43
I think in your situation a MA treatment is warranted. The MA chlorine level is only maintained for 24 hours and no one can swim during that period. The link below does a good job explaining the process. Hope that helps.

So I pulled out the light and low and behold there were two chunks of alage clinging behind the plastic part. Could something that small be causing my problems. Why didn’t I take the light out like you guys said in the beginning. lessons learned

Why didn’t I take the light out like you guys said in the beginning
Cuz it’s a pain. Lol. We usually skip it and only recommend it when the SLAM drags on. Like here. Any who, with any luck, That’s it. You still did awesome either way. Keep us posted !!

Reactions: Grayman43
Could something that small be causing my problems.
Absolutely! There's not only the live stuff you caught, but it's producing much more you can't see with the eye that is responsible for the FC loss. Good catch! :goodjob: You should leave the light out for a day or two (power OFF) to really allow the chlorine time to flush-out that niche really well.

Absolutely! There's not only the live stuff you caught, but it's producing much more you can't see with the eye that is responsible for the FC loss. Good catch! :goodjob: You should leave the light out for a day or two (power OFF) to really allow the chlorine time to flush-out that niche really well.
Thanks all. Stupid question. Is just leaving the power switch off good enough? Light wasn’t working anyway😧

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello! :wave: Okay so that note above is one item that caught my eye. It is very important test at a frequency required to maintain the FC level as much as possible. It might require testing every 2 hours at first, then as the FC holds it will spread out, but don't wait all day before adjusting the FC unless you are at work (can't help that). But there are some basic guidelines for any SLAM Process:
- Test as much as needed to maintain the FC level
- Be sure the FC is at the proper FC level based on the CYA per the FC/CYA Levels
- Inspect, inspect, inspect. Algae is a sneaky bugger and can hide anywhere. Things like behind a light, liner folds, in the skimmer, or under a main drain cover. If you have a ladder or steps in the water they should be out of possible. Those are always algae homes.
- Circulation; be sure the chlorinated water is moving well in all areas
- Update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info we review it at each post.
- Finally, brush all surface areas to break-up any organic biofilm. Vacuum as needed and backwash/clean filter when pressure increases by 25%.

Algae simply can't survive in elevated chlorine water unless the FC/CYA ratio is not correct and/or there is an active growth somewhere, so remain vigilant for both those issues. You'll get it.
I thought my sig was updated. Am I missing something on it?

If this was a baseball game I would say Alage 4 me 1, however Im the home team and have the bases loaded (mustard shock level) lol. I got in the pool today and was surprised that parts of the pool headed to deep end was still slippery . I brushed it again and added shock up to 24 ppm. Let’s go !!!!

Reactions: Newdude
full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.