Getting ready to SLAM

Quick question. This is what is still on bottom of pool on day 3 of slam. Does this look like dead algae to you guys or girls? I going to vacuum up and test FC levels in a bit

Attachments

• CE0800F1-B933-4DEC-8F08-A54A2D03C09C.jpeg
    CE0800F1-B933-4DEC-8F08-A54A2D03C09C.jpeg
    368.7 KB · Views: 12
Does this look like dead algae to you guys or girls
Yes, But this time of year it gets tricky because of the pollen. And also farm-dust storms from plowing if you have any nearby. It could even be all 3. :ROFLMAO:

keep at it. Brush a bunch. Vac out whatever you can. You’re doing GREAT !!

Reactions: Grayman43
Still working on slam. pool is clear, CC at 0 but I’m still losing way too much FC to even think about pass overnight chlorine loss test. Took off the light and found a little bit of algae behind there Then added shock back to 16 from 13.5.

I was able to do the overnight chlorine loss test last night. I went from 17 to 16. One caveat the sun has been out for a little while before I tested because I overslept lol. Water is crystal clear combined chlorine zero. Continue to slam for one more day and test tonight just to make sure?

Yes, But this time of year it gets tricky because of the pollen. And also farm-dust storms from plowing if you have any nearby. It could even be all 3. :ROFLMAO:

keep at it. Brush a bunch. Vac out whatever you can. You’re doing GREAT !!
Update . Loss 1 ppm overnight but decided to continue slamming just to make sure. Tested again 12 pm my time and I had lost 4 ppm in 4 hours. Added back enough to get me 16 and tested as bing I was just over at 16.5 . Brushed the pool real good before adding bleach . 3 hours later I will test again. Still hard to believe I am losing that much with nothing visible .

Reactions: Newdude
How sure are you about your CYA reading ? The 1 loss for the OCLT, No CCs, Clear water...... is not adding up. GREAT job holding it another day. It was easy to do and it certainly didn’t hurt anything. It may have pushed you over the edge. I think if it was me I’d let it drift down tomorrow and see how it holds. If it doesn’t hold and the CCs remain 0, I’d start suspecting the CYA test. (Or tester).

If you still had algae it would eat FC at night. Because you aren’t losing at night, it’s looking like the CYA isn’t doing it’s job during the day. See if it holds tomorrow and increase CYA by 10PPM if it doesn’t.

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
can always add more later After testing
Perfect. It needs a few days to fully mix. If any gets sucked up by the filter it can be a week to fully dissolve. Go slowly as it can’t be undone easily. Pay extra attention in the meantime to top off the FC anytime it drops more than it should. Again, minimum FC is not an acceptable level of ‘in range’. Technically it’s in range, but it’s playing with fire. :)

What I dont understand is I got in the pool to brush good and felt slick spots on the decline toward deep end. Seems like I would not be passing overnight FC test if I still had alage. Also more what I guess what I called dead alage appeared back on the bottom. Any chance I have mustard alage ?

Any chance I have mustard alage ?
There is always a chance, but it’s usually not a big chance. See Mustard Algae - Trouble Free Pool

It would be peace of mind to hold Mustard SLaM for 24 hours after all you’ve been through.

Any chance it’s pollen still in NC ? They look/feel the same. We are getting creamed in NY at the moment.

Any chance I’m not doing FC drops correct?
Bottle goes perfectly upside down and slow/ gentle squeeze so that the drops fall on their own by gravity. Maybe slow it down and really take your time to see if you get a different reading.

Dang I’m stumped . I realize I haven’t had time to let the CYA do it’s thing but I tested and went from 17ppm to 10.5 ppm in about 18 hours. Even more concerning is CC jumped to 1.0 . I vacuumed up yesterday evening and nothing was on the bottom. I come out this morning and there’s stuff all over the bottom see attached pic. Thanks for all the help but I got to be doing something wrong. FYI The stuff on the bottom has been a recurring problem since last year. I just figured I’d never completed the slam process.

Attachments

• 85149CCB-0782-49BC-9C46-8DBD8B13585B.jpeg
    85149CCB-0782-49BC-9C46-8DBD8B13585B.jpeg
    454.1 KB · Views: 10
  • E899090A-766D-4CB8-9DA2-86684EB4B4C4.jpeg
    E899090A-766D-4CB8-9DA2-86684EB4B4C4.jpeg
    452.8 KB · Views: 11
Any other ideas? @Texas Splash could you read thread and advise? You were the first one to recognize that I had an algae problem. Thanks
+1. Usually the textbook fixes any problems. Sorry it’s being so stubborn. Extra eyes can only help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.