Getting ready for O/B Bicarbonate Startup

They will be helpful when the water temperature falls below 60 degrees and the SWG quits working. They can also be used when you need to add a small amount of CYA but will not be very helpful to raise your CYA to the 60-80 ppm range you'll eventually need. You will need to use granular CYA for that.

It won't hurt anything to keep them but you will not likely go through the entire bucket for many years. A smaller one may be better for you in your situation.

Another option is to use liquid chlorine as Matt suggested but that will require more testing and daily additions of chlorine which may complicate things for you during the startup. The pucks really take a good chunk out of the workload.

Thanks, Brian. That's kind of what I thought, but the thrifty side of me took over and I wanted to get more bang for my buck! I saved the receipt and will return them. What size do you recommend as a good balance between value and not overdoing it?

I posted this question on my build thread, but it is kind of buried in chit chat, so I'll ask it here as well. Pebble could go in tomorrow, but we have 80% chance of rain/thunderstorms the following day when they are supposed to acid wash. Does this pose enough of a problem that it would be better for me to have them postpone? I've emailed the plaster boss and asked if it would be an issue, but I want to be armed with good advice from here so I know what I should ask for. Thanks!

Also, I picked up the 12 lb tub today after returning the larger one. My husband also tested last night and found that it takes 6 minutes instead of 8 to fill our 96 gallon garbage can with the three hose bibs going, so that brings my fill rate up to 16 gallons per minute instead of 12 (a 25% increase in speed, if I did the math right! :p) I'll use that information to figure out how to do my testing.

When you fill, tie some sealed old milk jugs or soda bottles to each hose so that the hose end will float. If you don't want the hose end to float, then make sure you tie rags around them so that the metal hose end is not banging around on your new finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

When you fill, tie some sealed old milk jugs or soda bottles to each hose so that the hose end will float. If you don't want the hose end to float, then make sure you tie rags around them so that the metal hose end is not banging around on your new finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thanks for the reminder, Matt. I think we'll do the milk jug method. Gotta get the kids to start drinking up since I haven't been saving the containers. ;-)

Don't obstruct the flow of the water though.

You do not want any rain the day of plaster. 24 hours after should not be an issue and could be a good thing if it helps the pool fill faster.

Now the forecast is showing 40% showers in the morning tomorrow. We'll see what they decide to do. I don't want to rush rain while they plaster, so hopefully they wait until the afternoon. Good to know rain on the day of acid wash isn't a big deal.

Do you have the EasyTouch set up? If not, who is going to do that?

No, it is not programmed yet. I figure I will get the pump up and running manually, then figure out the EasyTouch/ScreenLogic after that. I've heard Pentair's tech support is very willing to help, plus I don't want to pay the $500 lowest price I was quoted to get it programmed for me.

But that does lead to the question... When I do start running my pump during startup once the pool is filled, do I run it on full speed? I've got the VS Intelliflo.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow, you're awesome! Thanks! :) :) :) Yes, I do have the ScreenLogic. The antenna is wired outside, but I haven't done any setup inside yet.

Careful, Brian will hack into your pool controls and turn on the bubblers just as you're standing on one of them :p

Jaime, You dont need to run the intelliflo full speed. It will flat out move some water at max RPMP though.

with all this pollen we are starting to get in our part of the world now, you want to run it fast enough to filter fairly quick. I have my intelliflo going about 1700 rpm. I find that good enough to filter and keep a lot of the pollen from sticking to the side of the pool at the waterline or getting waterlogged and sinking to the bottom. Your mileage may vary, a little higher or lower to keep the pollen skimmed.

No, it is not programmed yet. I figure I will get the pump up and running manually, When I do start running my pump during startup once the pool is filled, do I run it on full speed? I've got the VS Intelliflo.

Jaime, You dont need to run the intelliflo full speed. It will flat out move some water at max RPMP though.

with all this pollen we are starting to get in our part of the world now, you want to run it fast enough to filter fairly quick. I have my intelliflo going about 1700 rpm. I find that good enough to filter and keep a lot of the pollen from sticking to the side of the pool at the waterline or getting waterlogged and sinking to the bottom. Your mileage may vary, a little higher or lower to keep the pollen skimmed.

This is good to know! Thanks Dave.

Just got word that the acid wash guys are on their way. One question about adding the MA... Mine is the 31 baum. I know I need to be careful in adding it, but do I need to dilute it at all?

Jamie, PLEASE get some kind of breathing mask...........that stuff is VERY smelly and even a tiny whiff makes me cough. I worry about you and the baby...........Even better would be paying one of the guys or someone to pour it in for you??

Kim (may be over reacting but better safe that sorry)

Make sure to hold the bottle downwind from yourself while pouring. I float the bottle in the water and tip the bottle so that the mouth is about an inch above the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.