Getting ready for O/B Bicarbonate Startup

The CH drop and TA rise is surely related to the Startup-Tec as well as the Jacks Magic added (as if Matt could ever be wrong). Given your current pool chemistry numbers, a TA rise is not really possible without an outside upwards means of influence. Keep us posted on your numbers. Everything you have done so far will prove to be very beneficial.

Is it possible that the TA could have potentially been raised too high near the completion of the fill?

Regardless, the numbers you have mentioned are not far enough from the realm to normality to cause too much concern. Keep up with frequent testing and things should somewhat stabilize very soon.

Yeah, I forgot about the TA rise. Most of these sequestrants are high pH solutions that use sodium hydroxide to increase pH. So if you add the the sequestrant, I would expect the TA to increase as well since you're adding excess hydroxide (OH-). It'll all go away as you add acid so no worries.

Thanks everyone! I'm pretty sure my husband had it all on target once the pool was filled. He had added the Startup Tec in the middle of the fill, but was testing as normal after that to maintain the targets. I added two jugs of Jack's Magic Magenta (rated for 15,000 gallons each) at the end of the fill after the PH and TA were balanced, so that could have thrown things off.

This morning's readings are:
PH = 7.6 (up from 7.5 last night)
TA = 300 (same as last night, although it is slightly possible that one more drop made the pink a bit brighter, although I had some doubt so I left it at 300)

Based on these, I will do nothing. Is that correct?

Today is also the day that I add 3 pucks to the floater. I'm going out to do that now. I got one of the adjustable flow rate floaters and it is set at 25,000 gallons (for my 28,000 gallon pool). Does this sound right, or should I adjust it up or down? I'm not sure how fast I'm supposed to have these dissolve.

Also, is there any need to keep testing the CH?

Thanks again!

Tonight's tests:
PH = 8.0 (up from 7.6 this morning)
TA = 325 (up from 300 this morning)

Since the TA is still going up, I'm going to continue targeting 7.6 in PoolMath. This has me adding 86 oz of MA.

Does this sound right?

This morning's readings:

PH = 7.6 (successfully targeted from last night. Down from 8.0 before last night's MA addition)
TA = 275 (down from 325 last night. Possibly 300, but I don't think the pink got brighter to count the last drop.)

I will do nothing.

Your results from the pH test tell me that you are reading the test correctly, you have the approximate volume of your pool correct, you are a Pool Math wizzard, and you are adding the propper amount of acid. :super:

Let the pH rise to 7.8 and lets see where the TA ends up. I imagine things should begin to become a little more stable.

If I was you, I'd line up each of those 16 kids of yours on the edge of the pool and push them in. The pool may be full now but it has never been so empty!

Your results from the pH test tell me that you are reading the test correctly, you have the approximate volume of your pool correct, you are a Pool Math wizzard, and you are adding the propper amount of acid. :super:

Let the pH rise to 7.8 and lets see where the TA ends up. I imagine things should begin to become a little more stable.

If I was you, I'd line up each of those 16 kids of yours on the edge of the pool and push them in. The pool may be full now but it has never been so empty!

Thanks Brian. I'm glad it seems I'm getting the testing correct. I'll test again tonight and see where things are. It would be great if things did begin to get more stable.

You're hilarious! I'm sure my kids would think you're the greatest if I conveyed to them your idea of me letting them try out the pool so soon. Would that help bring my TA down? Then maybe I'd consider it. ;-)

Actually, the 6 year old pushed his 12 year old brother into the deep end yesterday as the 12 year old was sweeping. The six year old was immediately contrite, but faced swift punishment anyway, being sent to his room until Dad got home along with being banished from inside the pool fence indefinitely. He needs to learn proper respect for safety around the pool. Of course, if Mom were to line everybody up to get pushed in the pool, I'm sure they'd be a little more prepared for it!

I would say yes pushing kids in the pool will help lower TA even though it is not in the official, TFP approved TA lowering process. Lower your PH to 7.2 and start pushing! All the splashing will raise the PH back in no time!
:paddle:

OH NO! Not the "Wait until your FATHER gets home!" Man I HATED that! LOL

Good for you for dealing with it right away and in such a "I MEAN business" way. I bet they were all taking notes-----"what not to do by the pool"

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OH NO! Not the "Wait until your FATHER gets home!" Man I HATED that! LOL

Good for you for dealing with it right away and in such a "I MEAN business" way. I bet they were all taking notes-----"what not to do by the pool"

Kim

Yeah, he wasn't too happy to have to be in his room so long, let me tell you! But I need to make a strong impression right away about proper behavior around the pool, so it needed to be done.

Tonight's tests (courtesy of my husband because I was out...)
PH = 7.8
TA = 300

So he did nothing. Tomorrow morning I will see where the PH is and bring it down to 7.8 with MA if it is higher. There's a possibility of a storm tonight so we'll see if any rain overnight affects the testing in the morning.

What is the water temp?

Last night the water temp was 66. This morning it's at 61.

I tested around 8 am and got:
PH = 8.1 (with a target of 7.8 I added 51 oz of MA)
TA = 300

I was a little uncertain of the exact PH reading above, so after making my MA addition, I just retested a little less than 2 hours later to see how accurate I had been. Now:
PH = 7.8
TA = 300

So it seems I must have been pretty close. I will wait to test again tonight and continue targeting 7.8 unless I'm advised otherwise. Thanks!

Tonight:
PH = 8.0 (with a target of 7.7, therefore added 56 oz MA)
TA = 300 (same as before)

Is it expected that the TA should stay the same? The last drop (the 12th) definitely made a brighter pink, but I think it may have been less dramatic than this morning. So maybe the TA actually getting a little lower, although not quantifiably since each drop equals 25?

56 oz. Will lower the TA by 8. It's a slow process but it is coming down. You are likely somewhere right between 275-300. I bet you end up at 275 in the morning.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Good call! This morning's tests were right where you predicted (with water temp. 60)
PH = 7.7
TA = 275

Should we still target 7.7 tonight? Or go back to 7.8?

Thanks for your continued help, Brian!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.