Getting ready for new pool - understanding TFP

elier99

Bronze Supporter
Sep 18, 2019
Puerto Rico
Hi everyone,

I'm getting my first pool installed during next week. I have been reading online about pool maintenance for a while getting ready for when the pool is installed. I was planing on using Thriclor tablets with the regular clarifier, algaecide and weekly shock that are usually recommended, until I found about the CYA accumulation. Based on the information on this forum I'm leaning now on using just liquid chlorine using the Pool Math app and TF100 kit which I just ordered. I would like someone to confirm if I'm making the right assumptions before starting:
  1. No clarifier or algaecide would be required during pool fill and startup process.
  2. Liquid stabilizer could be used to initially raise CYA to proper levels (30 - 50ppm).
  3. No weekly shock would be required if FC levels are maintained within the proper levels (1.0 - 3.0ppm).
  4. About 3ppm of FC would be required to be raised daily, based on this, about a gallon on 10% bleach would be used weekly in my 4,500gal pool.
  5. Thriclor tablets on the chlorinator could be used during vacations or time away from the house.
  6. Eventually a Stenner pump could installed to help maintain the proper FC levels and might eliminate the usage of chlorinator when being away of the house.
Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

Based on the information on this forum I'm leaning now on using just liquid chlorine using the Pool Math app and TF100 kit which I just ordered. I would like someone to confirm if I'm making the right assumptions before starting:

Good choice.
  1. No clarifier or algaecide would be required during pool fill and startup process.
We don't use clarifier or algaecides as part of regular water maintenance.

1. Liquid stabilizer could be used to initially raise CYA to proper levels (30 - 50ppm).
I prefer solid stabilizer added by the sock method. It is less expensive then liquid stabilizer.

If you use liquid stabilizer shake the bottle well before pouring as the contents sometimes separate.

1. No weekly shock would be required if FC levels are maintained within the proper levels (1.0 - 3.0ppm).
We don't use shock.

1. About 3ppm of FC would be required to be raised daily, based on this, about a gallon on 10% bleach would be used weekly in my 4,500gal pool.
Depends what your CYA level is. We use the FC/CYA Levels to determine the FC target based on the rounded up CYA level. CYA 30 has a FC target of 4-6 while CYA 50 has a FC target of 6-8.

Use PoolMath to calculate the necessary liquid chlorine.
  1. Thriclor tablets on the chlorinator could be used during vacations or time away from the house.
As long as you can manage the increased CYA level and adjust your FC up as necessary.
  1. Eventually a Stenner pump could installed to help maintain the proper FC levels and might eliminate the usage of chlorinator when being away of the house.
Many of use Salt Water Chlorine Generators (SWG). They are lot less hassle then Stenner pumps.

All pools are salt water pools, this means they have some kind of salt content. After a year of using a stenner you will probably end up having around 1000ppm of salt. The statement of your pool builder is just for warranty purposes in case of corrosion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.