Getting my first SWG-Pentair

Dave224

Sep 12, 2020
Fargo, ND
My pool is closed until next month but I have more or less agreed with my PB for him to install a SWG when he comes to open it. He has a Pentair IC40 with his own pool and recommends I get the same one. That's fine with me. This will be the second year with this pool. I have a 120V receptacle near my pad that he would plug the unit into. I assume the SWG power unit is also tied into the pump circuitry. I was running the pump 24/7 last year, and as that seems to work well with the heater, would probably like to continue to do so. The PB says I could just run the SWG at 20% 24/7 like he does with no timer. This confuses me. If 20% turns out to be too little and 40% too much, then what would my options be? Could I or should I use some kind of timer on my 120V receptacle to run the SWG something like 18 hrs. at 40%, if that turns out to be the sweet spot? Can the pump RPM/flow be adjusted to help? Should I not have more precise control over the CL in my pool?

Dave,

I would add a timer to control the AC power to the IC40's power center.. This would give you control over how long the cell runs.. It should be pretty easy to do.

RPM has no effect on chlorine production once the flow switch inside the cell is closed..

The IC 40 is designed to work with Pentair automation.. With an automation system you can control the percentage of chlorine output in 1% increments.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have a SWG pool with the IC-40. I live in Las Vegas so the water's very, very hard.
If you have hard water in your area, I HIGHLY recommend that you get your autofill plumbed to fill your pool with soft water. This will keep your calcium levels from getting high, which will in turn reduce calcium buildup on your SWG plates.
Just make sure that you have the proper calcium level in the pool when you have the autofill working. I filled my pool with tap water and have a calcium level of ~400 in my pool. The calcium level has remained stable for the last 3 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.