Georgia Pool Build.... FIRED PB need advice please!!!

Re: Georgia Pool Build.... No Longer O/B :)

We really didn't know if wanted a hoop or not when we started the building process. In discussing this with our PB, he said that he would rough it in for free for future use so of course we agreed to that. And we are so happy he did. Our kids and all their friends love shooting hoops. To be honest...I love it as much as they do.

Not sure how difficult it would be to install after the build.

We really didn't know if wanted a hoop or not when we started the building process. In discussing this with our PB, he said that he would rough it in for free for future use so of course we agreed to that. And we are so happy he did. Our kids and all their friends love shooting hoops. To be honest...I love it as much as they do.

Not sure how difficult it would be to install after the build.

Did you just give them the dimensions of the poles and distance apart?
My PB will be drilling umbrella holes for us. My concern is that the holes would be too far apart or too close together for it to fit without them having it here to put in place.

We should begin our dig next week, but we decided on the SR Smith Basketball Goal. Just looked clean and I liked it's look.

Residential Challenge Basketball Game - S.R. Smith Products

It's not a breakaway rim and I did consider getting something that would have it, but in the end the PB added it without increasing our price so I figured it was a good value at free (although I'm sure it's in their profit somewhere)

Since we have a SWG, our PB recommended going with SR Smith's salt friendly hoop if we later decided to buy one. So the PB roughed it in per SR Smith's installation instructions and also installed the anchors during the build.

Yes, some rims are coated PVC (black metal), others are coated PVC on a stainless steel rim.

Seems like the SR Smith hoop is a favorite. I'm going to speak to my builder about roughing it for us even if I don't buy it right away.

Sheree,

It looks like, in order to rough it out, you need the 6" brass anchors to be installed near or into the bond beam of the pool (just from the pictures). If so, and if the poles are metal (which they look to be), then the anchors have to be connected to the pools bonding wire to be electrically safe. I'm no expert on bonding in pools but anything metal that a person in the water can come into contact with needs to be bonded to prevent electric shocks. So just make sure that, if your PB does rough this out for you, your anchors are properly bonded.

Otherwise I really like the basketball hoops, they're a neat addition for fun parties.

Sheree,

It looks like, in order to rough it out, you need the 6" brass anchors to be installed near or into the bond beam of the pool (just from the pictures). If so, and if the poles are metal (which they look to be), then the anchors have to be connected to the pools bonding wire to be electrically safe. I'm no expert on bonding in pools but anything metal that a person in the water can come into contact with needs to be bonded to prevent electric shocks. So just make sure that, if your PB does rough this out for you, your anchors are properly bonded.

Otherwise I really like the basketball hoops, they're a neat addition for fun parties.

Thank you so much, Matt!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I think I paid between 700-900 last year ( don't recall) for the salt version that had anchors 18 inches from pool. Coping is usually 12 inches so I don't think you want to place the anchors 12 inches from the pool. But they sell Hoops that are made to be set back only 12 inches so be careful about which one you are buying.

You are correct about tying the anchors into the bonding of the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Also,

It seemed to me that whoever you buy from merely has SR Smith ship it to you (I don't think they stock them). That was my experience anyway.

I think I paid between 700-900 last year ( don't recall) for the salt version that had anchors 18 inches from pool. Coping is usually 12 inches so I don't think you want to place the anchors 12 inches from the pool. But they sell Hoops that are made to be set back only 12 inches so be careful about which one you are buying.

You are correct about tying the anchors into the bonding of the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Also,

It seemed to me that whoever you buy from merely has SR Smith ship it to you (I don't think they stock them). That was my experience anyway.

Is it a problem to anchor through the coping? It looks like that's what Snap96 did. The one that I was looking at is the 12"...maybe that's why its cheaper than the one that you used.

2016-06-10_1249.jpg

I don't know if it is a problem, but I asked my PB last year who installs a lot ( they didn't do mine) and he told me he always puts them 18 inches. His explanation ( and I don't know if it makes sense) was that he thought 12 inches was more for "vinyl pools that don't have coping and that [he uses]18 inches so they are more secure on the decking."Again, I don't know which way is better - I just followed his advice. It was easier for me to do it that way because his guys were doing the coping and my guy was doing Brick pavers and the Hoop so my guy didn't have to drill through his coping.

I assume the 12 inch has a different look so you should first think about which look you prefer.

Just to clarify, the instructions for the 12i nch setback said the anchor should be 12 inches set back on center. That means that the front of the anchor is a little less than 12 inches away from pool and would be into the coping.

We bought ours for $725 from Amazon. According to SR Smith, the residential version has 12" setbacks and the commercial version has 18" setbacks. We have the residential and it is not anchored in the coping. It goes through the coping and is anchored in the concrete under the coping as the picture shows. I believe there are 2 residential models...Salt and Non-Salt. The salt friendly model usually runs $100+ more. From the looks of the one you posted, it does not look like the salt model.

IMG_0855.jpg

Last edited:

Sheree,

If this wasn't planned for during the build, is it too late to install it after the fact?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.