Gender Reveal

Re: Gender Reveal

Has anyone used this in their pool? Did it affect water chemistry or cause any staining to your plaster? I'm thinking of using this for a gender reveal party but if it's not recommended, I'll choose another route.

Merged threads with same subject -- Marty

They’re fine. You might get an elevated FC demand for a day or two but the pool will be fine. Might be hard to get the pink color to show but blue is easy. The colors sometimes go “off” from FC exposure but I suppose any red color will do.

We did ours with a box of balloons. My three boys got to unwrap the box and open it to find out they were having a little princess....um, I mean sister. As one might expect from any college course on basic statistical analysis, half the guests guessed correctly.....

Congrats on the baby!

What a cool idea with lots of balloons...

Yep. We knew way early because the wife had genetic screening done so the DNA results came back at 8 weeks gestational age. Normally you can’t see the “parts” on ultrasound until 16 weeks and, even then, there’s a slight chance of messing up the call (boy parts are waaaaay more definitively imaged than girl parts). However, U/S technology has gotten so advanced that you really can’t miss it unless your tech is horrible at it. DNA is definitive.

Anyway, we did a party with family and friends and had giant wardrobe size moving box wrapped in three layers of paper - brown on the outside, blue, then pink. That way you tease everyone a bit and then the box opens and the balloons are either pink or blue. Believe me, getting a couple dozen helium balloons in a box and taping it shut is no small feat....

Some people opt to have their OB seal the gender determination in an envelope and then there are some bakers out there that will do a special cake where the layering inside is pink or blue. Then everyone finds out at once. Lots of variations on how to do it.

As Matt said pinks were kinda hard as we tried one year for a swim party. May wanna go more for a red dye and hope. The pinks just looked unimpressive. Or just say it’s a boy either way and blame the ultrasound tech. :)

We did ours a few years ago with the best thing known to man, cake. Took an envelope to the bakery with the results and had them use icing in the middle to indicate boy/girl.

I like cake. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Let the pool turn green. Aren't they all little gremlins in the beginning? :D

Good one!!! :laughblue:

150 colored ping-pong balls in a garbage bag tied to your pool drains near the bottom. Opening of bag up, tied off with slip-knot. Pull the string and they come bobbing up, popping out of the water. No chems. Bright color. Double as party favors?

https://www.amazon.com/Lakikey-150P...f_rd_t=40701&refRID=GFH7BNWFB4736GDABQCR&th=1

Oh I like this one! Put them in a black bag so no one can see them early!

150 colored ping-pong balls in a garbage bag tied to your pool drains near the bottom. Opening of bag up, tied off with slip-knot. Pull the string and they come bobbing up, popping out of the water. No chems. Bright color. Double as party favors?

https://www.amazon.com/Lakikey-150P...f_rd_t=40701&refRID=GFH7BNWFB4736GDABQCR&th=1

Rethinking... as one could drown while figuring out how to tie a bag full of ping pong balls to a pool drain! Two or three heavy duty garbage bags. Fill one or two (double-bagged) with enough rocks (river rock would be perfect) or bricks to sink the ping pong balls, then put the bag-o-rocks (I've heard they're not very smart) in the second bag, along with the balls and tie off that bag. Then just lower all that into the water. No need to breath-hold down to the bottom...

The less air in the bags the better, as that'll make them buoyant and you'll need that many more rocks. Perhaps poke holes in the bags to let the air bubble out. Big holes in the bag-o-rocks. Of use something porous. Like a burlap bag or wrap the weights in a sheet. Only looking to keep the weights from tearing into the outer bag. Small holes in the outer bag so no one can see the ping pong balls. Or tie the closing of the outer bag around a tube or straw, to let the air out.

Rethinking... as one could drown while figuring out how to tie a bag full of ping pong balls to a pool drain! Two or three heavy duty garbage bags. Fill one or two (double-bagged) with enough rocks (river rock would be perfect) or bricks to sink the ping pong balls, then put the bag-o-rocks (I've heard they're not very smart) in the second bag, along with the balls and tie off that bag. Then just lower all that into the water. No need to breath-hold down to the bottom...

The less air in the bags the better, as that'll make them buoyant and you'll need that many more rocks. Perhaps poke holes in the bags to let the air bubble out. Big holes in the bag-o-rocks. Of use something porous. Like a burlap bag or wrap the weights in a sheet. Only looking to keep the weights from tearing into the outer bag. Small holes in the outer bag so no one can see the ping pong balls. Or tie the closing of the outer bag around a tube or straw, to let the air out.

Or tie the bag to a couple free weights as necessary

OK, now we're getting somewhere. Even if we can't get the OP to bite, I hope somebody tries this out someday. Not me, though. I'm already at quota for kids!!

- - - Updated - - -

OK, well, maybe one more, if she's as cute as the last one...

Good lord y'all are getting complicated! I'd just put some red (for pink) or blue pool dye in the pump strainer basket when <off>. Then keep it off until the "reveal" when you turn the pool on and ... *voila!*... color appears!

Maddie :flower:

I'm thinking of adding just enough of the Pool Party dye to my waterfall pump so when I turn it on, it will reveal the gender. That way I don't have to worry about the entire pool being dyed. The party is next weekend so I'll have to do a test run this week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.