Gas or Electric Heater?

Bucky63

Gold Supporter
May 19, 2018
Mahomet, IL
Hi Gang,
I am hoping to extend my pool season with a heater. I would love to hear pro, cons and opinions on gas or electric heaters as well as manu and model recommendations. Thanks for any assistance!

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
A lot of us here, have found the Raypak line of heaters to be the least problematic
and if repairs are needed, tends to cost less, due to less components.

I have the PR266AEN (266k btu) model, you would probably be best off with the 400k btu model.

So something like the PR406AEN.

Cupro-nickel heat exchanger is an option on these but most of us agree it is unnecessary. Check with local
codes to see if you need the low-nox model or not.

Also need to make sure your gas line/meter can handle a 400k btu heater.

Reactions: Bucky63

HeyEng

Silver Supporter
Nov 7, 2018
Oklahoma City, OK
Can you recommend a model?
I think a lot of the members here use (and like) the Raypak brand. We have a Hayward, but I can't speak to the longevity as we have only owned the house/pool for about 6 months (and the heater is 11 years old) but it has worked for us well this season. I do on occasion have to reset it though because it will indicate a communication error, but I haven't had anyone look at it yet.

I would consider how much your natural gas costs. We have a 400,000 BTU heater and it works pretty fast (averages 2.5-3.0 degrees increase per hour) but the gas meter is as loud as a KFC with 4 fryers going! :) Thankfully, NG is pretty cheap here, so it's not that big of an expense for us.

Reactions: Bucky63 and borjis

Bucky63

Gold Supporter
May 19, 2018
Mahomet, IL
A lot of us here, have found the Raypak line of heaters to be the least problematic
and if repairs are needed, tends to cost less, due to less components.

I have the PR266AEN (266k btu) model, you would probably be best off with the 400k btu model.

So something like the PR406AEN.

Cupro-nickel heat exchanger is an option on these but most of us agree it is unnecessary. Check with local
codes to see if you need the low-nox model or not.

Also need to make sure your gas line/meter can handle a 400k btu heater.
Great help - Thanks!!!!

Reactions: borjis

Chickinvic

Jul 12, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Can you recommend a model?
Ours is a Hayward Universal H Series 250K. It works pretty good. Our pool is 20' x 40' holding about 21K Imperial gallons (or about 25K US gallons). When it craps out I will probably go for a 350K or 400K model, as I do feel ours may be slightly undersized for the pool (but still does an adequate job).

I can't really compare other models since I didn't purchase this one (we've only owned this place since September 2017), so this is the only one I've known.

Reactions: Bucky63

Bucky63

Gold Supporter
May 19, 2018
Mahomet, IL
T
I think a lot of the members here use (and like) the Raypak brand. We have a Hayward, but I can't speak to the longevity as we have only owned the house/pool for about 6 months (and the heater is 11 years old) but it has worked for us well this season. I do on occasion have to reset it though because it will indicate a communication error, but I haven't had anyone look at it yet.

I would consider how much your natural gas costs. We have a 400,000 BTU heater and it works pretty fast (averages 2.5-3.0 degrees increase per hour) but the gas meter is as loud as a KFC with 4 fryers going! :) Thankfully, NG is pretty cheap here, so it's not that big of an expense for us.
Thanks so Much!

Reactions: HeyEng