Full chip out required for pool renovation and resurfacing

NextProject

Jan 29, 2021
Orlando, FL
TFP has been a great source for advise

We are in the process of renovating and resurfacing our pool. The pool marble plaster is about 30 years old. The pool resurfacing company drained the pool, removed the old tile, pressure washed and acid etched the original pool surface and then applied what they referred to as a "primer coat" all in the same day. They wanted to start to placing the new tile the next day however this was delayed. The next day blisters started to develop in the pool surface in several spots and rain washed the blisters away (see photos). These blisters seemed to form in spots where there were algae problems previously. At this point the pool resurfacing company has stated that, in their opinion, the pool does not need to be chipped out as the "concrete is hard" and this is unnecessary. I had asked them to add the cost of a full chip out to their original quote which they have now increased by 50% due to the "hard concrete". They seem to be unconcerned about these spots however stated that if I really want a full chip out they will do it.

Questions:
Is a full chip out necessary?
Is it acceptable to just chip out those areas which have delaminated. (The pool has been empty for two weeks at this point)
As all of the delamination seems to be no further than 18 inches up the sides of the walls is it acceptable to just chip out the bottom?
As you can see in the second image, they did not remove the old bullnose tile from the edges of the steps but simply primed over the tile. Is this acceptable?

Thank you very much for your opinions and suggestions.

Sincerely,
Darren

Attachments

• delamination 1.jpg
    delamination 1.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 65
  • delamination 2.jpg
    delamination 2.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 62
  • delamination 3.jpg
    delamination 3.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 60
  • delamination 4.jpg
    delamination 4.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 59
  • delamination 5.jpg
    delamination 5.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 58
New plaster is only as good as the underlying material it is bonded to.

Delamination is like cancer. Once you have areas delaminating you cannot be sure it will never develop in other areas.

You need a full chipout. Sandblasting is a far superior method to accomplish this. If chisels are used then flat chisels should be used and not pointed tip chisels as pointed chisels removes too much Shotcret/Gunite in the process.

NP,

I have had two pools replastered and neither had a full chip out. The first one turned out perfect and that was about 10 or 11 years ago.

The second one, not so much and I have been kicking myself ever since. The problems don't show up right away, so I thought everything was ok.

My point I guess is that a full chip out is not needed "if" the underlying plaster is sound. But there is no way to absolute way to know for sure. You can see the really obvious defects, but you can't see the hidden ones.

I'm sure it will cost me more, but my next plaster job will have a full chip out..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. My thoughts exactly. I was reading an article which basically explained the following. The pool plastering job generally has a warranty against delamination however this warranty applies to delamination from the original plaster. From what I understand however, if the original plaster delaminates, and the new pool plaster is adhered to the old pool plaster (i.e. two layers of plaster stuck together ... old and new) this is not a warranty issue as the new plaster has technically not delaminated as it is adhered to the old plaster. It is the old plaster which has delaminated. In this case the pool owner is left with the bill for chipping out not one, but two layers of pool plaster, old and new, in order to get to the concrete shell. In my case I had requested a full chip out of the spa as the old spa plaster had obvious issues. This was done before the pool resurfacing company applied the "primer coat" to both the pool (which was not chipped out) and the spa (which was chipped out). The spa primer coat had no delamination issues whatsoever as compared to the pool which had many. It appeared to me that a full chip out of the spa was the difference. I would rather pay a little more now and have the piece of mind. Additionally, if the pool plaster delaminates from the chipped out concrete shell this is for sure a delamination warranty issue.

Reactions: generessler
Thanks for the reply Kim,

I agree with you. I spoke with the pool remodeler today and he is going to chip out the entire pool, including removing the step tiles. At first he was reluctant stating that he felt it adequate to just chip out the 20 or so problem areas. I pointed out to him that the spa, which I had requested to been chipped out completely as it was in poor condition, had no problem areas after the bond (primer coat) was applied as compared to the pool. I explained that in my opinion the pool plaster was soft in many areas and demonstrated that it could be scratched just using a finger nail. I respectfully told him that I would rather not take the chance and agreed to pay for a full chip out now rather than a lot more later.

The pool remodeler said that he could start chipping out the pool the end of this week. A specific timeframe for completion was not discussed. I will update this post when it is completed. As you know It has been really hot during the days lately so I suggested that his guys come early morning or early evening over several days to avoid the heat. This might stretch things out a bit but chipping out a pool is hard enough work without doing it in 90 degree temperatures (feels like over 100 with humidity).

I hope they do only work a bit at a time due to heat and good on you for thinking like that as well! :hug:

Will you have a big cooler of iced down drinks out for them? That is something I do for people doing work for me. Makes for some happy workers that is for sure!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.