Frog habitat

Okay that makes more sense!
According my fancy Pool Math app I need 3 jugs of chlorine and 8lbs of stabilizer.
Is there an easier way to add it then the sock method? Can I add it to the skimmers?
Going to vacuum and add DE to the filter tonight!

I wouldn't add it to the skimmer, because if you backwash in the next few days, it will get washed out.

You can dissolve it in a bucket of water and pour that in front of a return, it's a little more hands on, but I don't think that's an issue ;-)

I wouldn't add it to the skimmer, because if you backwash in the next few days, it will get washed out.

You can dissolve it in a bucket of water and pour that in front of a return, it's a little more hands on, but I don't think that's an issue ;-)

Yeah, don't add to skimmer. Bucket mix works. But I had to add some recently and did the sock method...within day and half it was completely dissolved from sock. Of course I wasn't adding 8 lbs.

I still think this is one time where using tri-chlor tabs in a floater for a few weeks or month is a good idea. Until you get the CYA up, any chlorine you add will be baked out within hours of full sun. Since you need both chlorine and CYA right now, the tabs give you both and the slow release chlorine will keep any new algae gremlins at bay until you get the water right and last remnants of yuk from the water.

I am a full-on TFP devotee whose pool only gets bleach/liquid chlorine and muriatic acid 95+% of the time. But there are exceptions. I use tabs when on vacation so I don't have to rely on someone to doctor pool. I also use tabs when my CYA needs a minor kick but not enough to warrant buying 5lbs of the stuff. I use cal-hypo when I need to drive up calcium hardness a bit (rare).

So would it be better to use bags of shock right now until levels go up and then move to TFP?

Since your starting with an essentially blank slate, you can use the other forms to temporarily boost your levels.

I would suggest checking the price for each and see which has the best price, because liquid chlorine and dry stabilizer i think will be a better price and give you the proper amountsScreenshot_20180605-120540.jpg
You can use poolmath to estimate what any given amount of chemical will be added to the pool

The Pool Math on here gives me different amounts than the app. I can do 6 bags of trichlor for $15 at Walmart and that will pump my amounts way up but it shouldn't take my CYA over the limit. I'll keep thinking about it. I have about a 2 hour window between when I get off work and when I have to be at the Rangers game to work for our band booster club. I wanted to come home, dose the pool, go to the stadium and then test it first thing in the morning before work to see where we were. I just don't want to mess it up.

The Pool Math on here gives me different amounts than the app. I can do 6 bags of trichlor for $15 at Walmart and that will pump my amounts way up but it shouldn't take my CYA over the limit. I'll keep thinking about it. I have about a 2 hour window between when I get off work and when I have to be at the Rangers game to work for our band booster club. I wanted to come home, dose the pool, go to the stadium and then test it first thing in the morning before work to see where we were. I just don't want to mess it up.

The app requires all info to be filled in, the website has "assumptions" figured in, if something is missing

So would it be better to use bags of shock right now until levels go up and then move to TFP?

That all depends on a lot of factors. Do a full round of tests including your calcium hardness (CH). I wouldn't be too concerned about your PH or Total Alkalinity as long as you don't run them off the charts one way or another (meaning no reason to try to LOCK IN 7.6 PH or 80-100 TA until you get everything else settled), which you shouldn't as long as you are only adding some variety of chlorine and CYA.

The reason I ask about CH is because if it is low, then yes, adding a powder shock such as Calcium Hypochlorite (Cal-Hypo) will help raise that while also chlorinating--i.e. saving purchasing another product, killing two birds with one stone. But if your CH is high or in range, you don't want to use Cal-Hypo.

To your question, I think using bleach/liquid chlorine now is fine, but the reason I might go a powder route temporarily is if you need to get your CH up, which you probably do a bit, even as our water in the metroplex is considered on the hard side. My CH out of the tap for fill water usually registers about 150ppm, give or take. I would imagine yours is similar. I usually try to get my CH to 300 at the beginning of the summer so I can mostly forget about it the rest of the season. Since you just did a full fill, I bet your CH will be between 100 and 150, so each pound of 73% cal-hypo you add for chlorinating will up that number by approximately 2ppm on your pool size.

Don't buy it by the bag, it is way more expensive. As much as I hate having to do Leslie's, for Cal-Hypo shock, their Power Powder 73% stuff is the best. The other stores are usually less potent or have some additives (what is up with the Clorox brand adding copper?). So using a 25 lb bucket of cal hypo for initial chlorinating will get you where you need to be and then you switch to liquid after that. Yes, you could go buy calcium chloride to make the increase all at once, but that is just something else to buy. One of the reasons to use liquid for chlorinating is the lack of additional added ingredients and cost. From a cost standpoint, going and buying calcium chloride to up your CH plus using liquid, will end up the same or more than just using cal-hypo at the beginning.

The same goes for my suggestion on using trichlor tabs right now until you get your CYA in range to protect your chlorine from the sun. Trichlor adds chlorine in slow release as well as CYA. Each 3" "puck" of trichlor, will kick in about 1ppm of CYA for your pool size. Since you want that to 50ish, you could use a few of those in the beginning to help with the CYA raise while also adding some slow chlorine so as not to have to make several chlorine dumps (powder or liquid) during the course of the day. The trichlor will help stave off algae and then you can do one total chlorine add right at sundown to maximize the efficiency of the chlorine (overnight with no sun loss). Since the best cost on tabs is around the 25lb mark ($60 at Home Depot), you will have 20 or so to use during this ramping up time and then the rest to use over the next couple of years for vacation stints or times you need to slightly raise your CYA again. I like the ones from Home Depot because they are individually wrapped and seem to still be quite potent even as I have used them up to two years later.

But I am no pro. I do what makes sense and it has worked for me. Others may have different or better suggestions.

One other thing, there is an on-going thread about best value for liquid chlorine/bleach and I regularly chime in with what I am finding in our area. You can find it here: https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/88742-Best-Places-to-Buy-Liquid-Chlorine

Right now, the best value is WinCo at $2.00 for 121 oz of 8.25% strength or Home Depot at $3.33 for 128 oz of 10% strength (3 pack/$9.99). Sometimes WinCo has it on sale for $1.75 or even $1.39, which is exceptionally awesome. I will say that I usually hit Home Depot for at least 4 three packs early in the season because they come in these nice heavy cardboard boxes that I keep in the back of my SUV so when I buy elsewhere, I do not have loose gallons to possibly tip over. I just drop them in the boxes and don't have to worry if I take a turn too sharp (FUN!) or have to lock up my brakes (idiot drivers!). Aldi and Walmart have fair deals also, so the best value may end up being who is closest or most convenient to you rather than the absolute rock bottom price. But be sure to check date codes and get fresh stuff--that is discussed also in the linked thread.

Everything you are doing so far is spot on...good job!

So I went to Walmart last night and they didn’t have CYA so I bought a box of trichlor bags (shock) hoping it would raise my FC and my CYA.
Well it sure raised my FC but my CYA is still non existent.
28763fbbf301f77657ee9c92d2fdf1ad.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would say 10 was added to be on the safe side. Easy to put in..........not easy to get out. Yes I would go ahead and put some in to have shield your FC. We sure do NOT want to give algae a any kind of chance!!!

The pool app suggested a little over a gallon of liquid conditioner which was cheaper than the powder. I added that, brushed the walls and bottom, skimmed the top, and washed out the filter basket.
It’s looking awesome! This weekend we clean the small hot tub section which will be easy.
Then it will be ready for business! First pool party has been scheduled for July 4th!

I just have to ask. How deep is that deep end, anyway? (Forgive me if thats somewhere in the thread and I missed it.)

f524b0a3bb6dca404a79168bdf5f58f5.png

Almost in normal ranges! I’m so happy with my CYA right now. I don’t think I need to add anything and can start doing liquid chlorine for upkeep.
Still brushing some silty stuff to the filter it out but I think once I get a new Polaris or fix the old one I won’t have to brush daily.

The deep end is 9 feet (?). The pool has a diving well with an elevated step to dive off of. The kids love it.

{pic}
Almost in normal ranges! I’m so happy with my CYA right now. I don’t think I need to add anything and can start doing liquid chlorine for upkeep.
Still brushing some silty stuff to the filter it out but I think once I get a new Polaris or fix the old one I won’t have to brush daily.

The deep end is 9 feet (?). The pool has a diving well with an elevated step to dive off of. The kids love it.

That's awesome! Yeah I couldn't believe the cleaning pic with the person standing in the deep end!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.