Frog habitat

So we hit a snag. Got everything clean and now the main drain is not working. Either we have our valves wrong or something has blocked it up.
Hopefully we can figure it out and resume refilling.

EDIT: Valves are turned correct but it’s not drawing water into the pump.

Valves are turned correct but it’s not drawing water into the pump.

So close!

It's probably packed full of that crud. Someone more experienced then me should weigh in about that. Maybe there's a quick fix.

Have you figured out: does the pipe from the drain run to the pad? Or to the skimmer? Maybe there's some way to apply back pressure to the pipe and flush it out.

I am with Dirk. Go from the pad to the pool with a water hose to force the yuck out of the main drain. I would take the drain cover so it can get out freely. This is just a small set back. IF need be you can do without your main drain but with a pool that big it would be a nice thing to have to balance the water temp out.

Kim:kim:

Update: We are thinking it might be a pressure issue. After putting the filter back together and then trying again we had more pressure and it started working.
We are now refilling. Probably will need to vacuum the deep end a couple times to get all of the residual out but we are in a far better spot than we were a few days ago!
I had to go to the pool store for a back wash hose because the one I bought at Walmart went missing. I internally laughed to myself as I watched everyone buying $300 pool start up kits with shock, perfect weekly, and tabs. No thank you! We’re not about that puck life anymore!

Well that was easy!!

It is SO hard to not start screaming in the pool $tore---------NO don't do it!!! Come to TFP and learn a better AND cheaper way!!! I have some TFP business cards I do pass out at Walmart and Lowes if I see someone in the pool area. Have not been brave enough to pass them out in front of the local pool store though :roll:

I’m starting to get worried about the process. Since I’m unable to get the leaves out pre draining I’m worried the pump will just get clogged constantly.
What is the best way to drain when you have debris? Should I start the pump in the shallow end and move it as I clean out leaves?

Drill a 5 gallon bucket until it looks like Swiss cheese & put the submersible pump in the bucket.

826277158a4aa38dd6868bddfb7801d0.jpg
b8220f1236fdaf19d31692e176d580c9.jpg

We are to the power washing part of our journey! It took a lot to get all of the solid stuff out.

Wow, now that is what I call going after it with a passion... There will be tons of satisfaction when you finish. Keep after it!

0e0e5e869b291615a0b9ff357db69c2e.jpg

Still filling but what a difference!
a6f05903401e2d8737e5f84eaf21c327.jpg

The deep end still has some stuff on the bottom but we can vacuum to waste as soon as the fill is done. Still a 100 times better than my first picture in this thread.
(I wanted to Shop Vac the deep end but we couldn’t find one person willing to let us put that sewage in their machine so we will make due.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah I would not let you put that YUCK in mine either LOL Good job so far! Now I would go ahead and put some chlorine in the water as it is fulling to kill the left over stuff. The hose adding water will mix it all up good.

That does look oh so much better!!! I can't wait see your first float with an adult drink in hand! OH and the kids first cannon ball!!

Excellent! What a night and day difference!

You said tie-dye pool in one of your earlier posts and that is certainly what you will have. But it will look just fine and feel even better! And as Kim said, floating with that adult beverage--those days are in countdown mode now!!!

Side note from a odd mind: Honestly, if there was a way to actually have a tie-dye or random color pool, I would be so down for it!!! I guess if it was a vinyl liner pool you could accomplish it if some manufacturer saw a market for unique-pattern liners (think crazy shower curtains). Or maybe hire some starving artist or college art student to paint a mural or modern design on it, but doing it with plaster would be so difficult because of how you have to spray the stuff and then trowel it quickly, making it not only cost prohibitive to have five or six spray rigs but mixing of materials could create a less than durable finish.

For the main drain issue, I was going to suggest doing a "spaceballs" (blowing rather than suction) and take a heavy duty shop vac, duct tape a cut plastic Snapple bottle to the blow hose and apply air pressure from the main drain jandy side piping to the main drain opening in the pool. Have someone cover the main drain to create back pressure, then run like heck as you will get a fountain of gunk out.

We in the electrical trade routinely do this to clear accumulated water, debris and obstructions from 2 inch to 5 inch underground emt conduit electrical piping stub ups to pull electrical wire through. Its actually quite funny when someone doesn't run in time after the back pressure has been applied as they receive a nice geyser bath...lol..But I guess you already filled the pool with water. Hope that MD clears out for you.

Yeah I would not let you put that YUCK in mine either LOL Good job so far! Now I would go ahead and put some chlorine in the water as it is fulling to kill the left over stuff. The hose adding water will mix it all up good.

That does look oh so much better!!! I can't wait see your first float with an adult drink in hand! OH and the kids first cannon ball!!

I went ahead and put 4 gallons of 10% chlorine in while it was filling. It’s almost done. I’ll be posting my 1st test results when I get home from work tomorrow (or 1st thing in the morning)!

Test results 6/5 8:30am

FC=3ppm
CC=8ppm
pH=7.6
CYA=0

The test kit was overwhelming at first because there is so much stuff in it but then I realized the rows are organized by test you are doing. I think I did the FC correct, it was hard to get the water to turn pink. I had to add 3 scoops of the DPD powder to get a reaction and then it was 3 drops to clear it. I used a 25ml sample so it should be 3 drops x 1=3ppm.

I didn't have time to do the TA or CH readings. I assumed the ones I did were the most important but after putting everything in my pool math app I should have tested at least the TA.

Test results 6/5 8:30am

FC=3ppm
CC=8ppm
pH=7.6
CYA=0

The test kit was overwhelming at first because there is so much stuff in it but then I realized the rows are organized by test you are doing. I think I did the FC correct, it was hard to get the water to turn pink. I had to add 3 scoops of the DPD powder to get a reaction and then it was 3 drops to clear it. I used a 25ml sample so it should be 3 drops x 1=3ppm.

I didn't have time to do the TA or CH readings. I assumed the ones I did were the most important but after putting everything in my pool math app I should have tested at least the TA.

I think the FC is 0.6? (25ml means each drop equals 0.2ppm)?
Regardless, lots of chlorine is needed =) Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid - Walmart.com
K2006 Instructions said:
Free & Combined Chlorine Test
1. Rinse and fill large comparator tube to desired mark with water to be tested.
NOTE: For 1 drop = 0.2 ppm, use 25 mL sample. For 1 drop = 0.5 ppm, use 10 mL sample.

Next Step:
Adding Stabilizer (CYA), start with a target of 30-40 (PoolMath), then slowly add if your FC isn't holding in the TX sun & heat (but no more then 60-70)!

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
In your pool's case, CH is important =) But not vital unless it's LOW. :)

And yes TA is important if the PH is dropping too much or rising to fast (without intervention)

My favorite chart in Pool School =) Pool School - Recommended Levels

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.