Frog habitat

That is a LOT of gunk!!! I think you did the right thing in draining it! You sure got your hands on a fast pump!! Please share the brand and model for future knowledge.

Love seeing your help is really helping! NICE JOB! Do you have any where to put that gunk? It would make some plants real happy I bet!

Kim:kim:

You are getting to know your pool more intimately then most homeowners.

That is a LOT of gunk!!! I think you did the right thing in draining it! You sure got your hands on a fast pump!! Please share the brand and model for future knowledge.

Love seeing your help is really helping! NICE JOB! Do you have any where to put that gunk? It would make some plants real happy I bet!

It’s a rental from Home Depot: Submersible Pump 2" Rental - The Home Depot

We are now down to a foot in the deep end. I didn’t want to drain more than that to be safe. Tomorrow starts the actual muck removal. I don’t know where all the mud came from. There is actual dirt in there.

Luckily we have a huge backyard so we are going to dump it in the far end of the yard.

826277158a4aa38dd6868bddfb7801d0.jpg
b8220f1236fdaf19d31692e176d580c9.jpg

We are to the power washing part of our journey! It took a lot to get all of the solid stuff out.

That remaining water is doing nothing for the process, not in terms of keeping the shell from floating. Get it all out of there. Eww. I wouldn't want a cup of that muck after doing all that work. If you can't get it all with the pump, a shop vacuum (capable of vacuuming water) will do the trick. Then follow my water meter tip to get an accurate number for water volume. That would be a very tough shape to calculate volume from dimensions...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am so tired. We are almost done but I ran out of steam. The pool is about 75% sprayed down, we still need to drain and clean out the hot tub but that's not as hard as the pool.
We only had 2 fall/slides into the deep end. That was gross but nothing a shower didn't cure. I wish the past owner didn't paint the pool because it's just coming off as we wash it. I still have the pump so we will pump that water out tomorrow before starting the refill. I bought 5 gallons of 10% chlorine in preparation. My plan is to pour it down the walls and steps as the pool is filling. I marked my water line so I know when to stop and as soon as we start the fill I am going to take a quick pic of my water meter.
I also bought a new Polaris and some new pool tools (pole, new brush, new skimmer).
This is so exciting!

I've read a thread here where someone used full strength chlorine like that in a similar pool cleaning process. He ended up with nasty dark stains. I'm sorry, I can't remember much more about the details. Does any know if FP75's plan to blast the walls with chlorine like that is a good or bad idea?

Got me thinking over here what kind of coating you can put over that plaster surface that is chemical resistant and appealing other than paint or drylock expoxy?

I just googled plaster pool paint coatings and found something called SauSea eco friendly natural rubberized chlorinated pool paint which should rubberize older and refinished plaster pools, and withstand all pool chemicals. There are probably similar coatings out there. Something to consider since you did all that work, you might as well refinish the surface before you refill with fresh water and old peeling paint.

I am not sure FP75 should tempt fate and leave the pool empty for many more days while getting paint and painting it.

Depending on her water costs a fill may cost her a few hundred. Better for her to get it cleaned up and refilled and then plan for a repaint when she can get it done in a few days. The cost of another water fill is not that much in the big picture.

Wow after my search on here of refinishing plaster is extensive from. EcoFinish to AquaBright...to just simply replastering with scratch coats and finish coats... This is a whole another level for me since I'm on a vinyl liner above ground pool.

Coatings however have always been a peculiar interest of mine from powder coating as a hobby, to thin films on firearms and engine crankcase to automotive paints drywall, furniture and masonry.

I say don't bother pouring bleach down the sides as the power washing is taking everything off..................Power wash the last bit. Pump out the last of the yuck then throw the hose in!

You and the kids are going to have a great summer!

WOW, JUST WOW!!! From the original pics, it was hard to imagine how much gunk was in there AND how deep that deep end was! That was/is an undertaking of immense proportions and you and your "crew" should be more than proud of your accomplishment!

Great call on the suggestion to monitor your meter on refill to more accurately calculate the total volume of pool. The complex shape is so hard to get right. As well, in a reversal to my original thoughts, now that you have drained to the level you have, fears of floating are greatly diminished but you still do not want to tempt fate...your timing was good because we did not have a rainy spring. I still would not worry to get every last drop out, but rather put the pump in the lowest end while you are finishing up the power washing as you will be sucking the dirtiest water out while replacing with the clean from the power washer. Get it clear enough in that lowest "bowl" to verify the bottom drain grate is not busted up and any remaining solids are gone and start your refill. In such a large pool, that lowest part not being calculated on the meter during refill will be a rounding error...probably less than 500 gallons I imagine.

I agree not to pour bleach down sides, since you power washed sufficiently, the bleach adds nothing to cleaning the walls and could be problematic. In the full sun, most of it's effectiveness will quickly bake away. Rather save it for full effectiveness when you get it full and circulating. Instead, while using trichlor tabs for the long haul in an established pool is not a part of the recommended BBB methods, I would suggest getting a medium bucket and a couple of floaters and fill them up and throw them in for a while--maybe once you get to the halfway full point. This will serve the purpose of getting a constant source of chlorine into the water and begin adding some cya to the water to stabilize the chlorine you will be adding for a while. You will still need to invest in cya and get that to a 30ppm level and eventually to 40 or 50 as quickly as possible. It is hot and sunny as you well know and you will minimize your chlorine expense by stabilizing it and not having it bake away within a few hours of sunrise each day. With all of your hard work, you don't want the water going green before you have a chance to get it balanced.

I don't have one but am considering adding, your pool might be good candidate for a salt chlorinator. A lot of water to keep chlorinated in hot and bright Texas sun. Just a random thought...others will probably will have better opinions.

I do agree on the resale aspect. I don't think looking perfect matters as much as working perfect. New tile and plaster in that big a pool can probably be had in our market for between $8-12k. But a pool in a house for sale adds very little if any to value. What it serves is to divide your market. There are those that will never consider a house with a pool. Then there are those that will only want a house with a pool. The rest will depend on how the overall property meets their needs and price point and the pool will be seen as either an added bonus or something they are willing to take on because all other boxes get checked for them. So if you are short term, I would not worry with a remodel...just makes sure it works properly and isn't leaking at time to sell, enjoy it while you live there,and you will maximize value.

But yeah, I am amazed and utterly impressed. I am a pretty self reliant and do what I can rather than paying someone else, but I am not sure I wouldn't have thrown my hands up over the past couple of days and called in some kind of cavalry!!! And the gunk you dumped in the back corner of the yard, in time spread it throughout your flower beds or garden and your flowers or veges will be the envy of the neighborhood!!! LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.