Fried PCBA on EasyTouch and Intelliflo VSF Control Panel not working

donrickles46

Jun 6, 2022
Atlanta, GA
All,

New pool owner, purchased home that has a Pentair setup. Last summer we had to replace the Intelliflo VSF Control Panel as it was "fried." There was no display on the panel. Here we are again this summer having to do it again. We saw an error in the app "Pump 1: Communication Lost & Chlorinator: Communication Lost" Had a technician come out and tell us the circuit board was fried, potentially ants, and the controller on the pump needed to be replaced.

Questions: How long should these drives last? What could be causing the drive to fail? How can I prevent this from continuing to happen? Do we need to replace the entire pump or just the panel?

I wouldn't think we would need to replace this two years in a row as the reviews I have found online are consistently good for this product.

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 11
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 12
@Dirk has experience with the swg boards shorting
@Jimrahbe is the leading expert on Pentair
My experience the intelliflo pump boards don’t go go out that often. I would make sure you are getting power to the pump. It may be on the same breaker as the swg. If you have lightning frequently in your area maybe consider some kind of surge protector.

Don,

IntelliFlo pumps do fail from time to time, but not very often.

The card you show with the burned parts is called the Surge card (Power supply) for your salt cell. I suspect it took a lightning strike.

The IntelliFlo could have been damaged at the same time, but I'm always a skeptic when some tech says, "the control panel is fried"..

The first thing I'd want to do is make sure you have 240 volts going into the pump. It is a good possibility that the Salt cell and pump get power from the same breaker.. It could just be popped.

Show us some pics of the inside of your EasyTouch showing the wiring, relays and circuit breakers.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Poolbreh
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.