poolfusq

Jan 7, 2022
San Antonio, TX
This is my first freeze season with a pool. I have 2 pentair VS pumps and intellitouch control panel. I have setup the programming such that "on with freeze" is enabled for the following modes/features: spa, pool, floor cleaner (PV3, set as "generic device"), deck jets, bubbler, spillway, and one of my 3 light circuits (just so I can visually see its enabled and kicked in). My thoughts are to enable everything such that everything receives some water flow, including the actuators (don't want them frozen and want them moving around). All the above circuits are on pump 1, except the PV3 floor cleaner and deck jets.

The problem is that on pump 1, it is only cycling between spa and pool, it is not activating the bubbler or spillway modes. Why? Also when it activates spa mode it turns the heater on which I thought was dumb (so I set the water temperature to 40, the lowest). Despite that, it is still activating the heater. The spa temp is being reported as 49 degrees, setpoint is at 40, heater is "on". Why?

The next problem is that on pump 2, I expected it to cycle between floor cleaner and deck jets. However, it is keeping both active 100% of the time (ie, not moving the actuator around).

I don't understand why one of the pumps is cycling through different modes, but skipping two of the modes, and the other pump is failing to cycle through the modes and is instead running both modes simultaneously all the time. Help!

P,

It will only cycle between the Pool and the Spa.

Your heater comes on because you have Manual heat on or off (I can't remember which) but it turns on the heater any time you turn on the Spa.

I suspect it will not activate the spillway mode because it uses the same valves that switch between pool and spa.

I doubt that anything is wrong with your system..

One thing you could try is the set your IFCS to Floor Cleaner and not Generic. Not sure what other issues that might cause later..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for your reply.

If it only cycles between Pool and Spa, is there any other way, other than manually and draining everything, to try to save the line running to the bubbler?

I used to have the IFCS set to cleaner, but that prevented the deck jets from turning on when spa mode was on (even though they are on separate pumps and separate lines completely). That was resolved by having the IFCS be a "generic" device. I guess I can try it out for the winter time.

is there any other way, other than manually and draining everything, to try to save the line running to the bubbler?
P,

Not sure of your plumbing, but one thought is to manually move the valves so that your bubbler is always on and shut the valve off using the switch on the valve.

I really don't think it is going to get cold enough for long enough to have a problem.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ahh that is a good idea, thank you. Have you ever heard of actuators that freeze up and permanently malfunction after not "moving around" during a freeze? Can I stop worrying about that?

I am really just preparing for another Feb. 2021 style freeze. I agree I'll be OK with the recent freeze temps.

P,

Not saying it could not happen, but I have never heard of an actuator going bad due to freezing temps..

Think of all the people in the frozen North where their pools are closed for the winter.. I really doubt they remove their actuators and bring them inside.

Thanks,

Jim R.

not sure who needs to see this but I am following up to my own post from a year ago. freeze mode says heater on, but in reality/physically it does not fire on.

a year ago i couldn't get my setup to cycle to the bubbler, now i can't get it to cycle to "pool" mode -- ie it only cycles between spa mode and bubbler, never going to plain ole primary pool. the software indicates it is, but the actual actuator does not agree. i set the switches manually now that i know what i am doing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.