Freeze Preparations (TX, LA, GA, AL, FL, etc)

What about the Polaris sweeper? I plan to leave my pump running 24/7. I can't remove the "on" trip for the Polaris as the head to the trip piece broke off. Should I just let it run it's 2 hours in the afternoon? Am I risking the water in the polaris hose freezing even if the pump is running? I seem to recall when the Polaris is not running, there's still water running through it but not at full speed?

Not a bad idea. While it takes a while for running water to freeze, the faster you can push it...the longer it would take it to freeze.
I covered with a tarp and put two drop lights under the tarp. I have it automated to turn on the drop lights when my outdoor motion sensor temp gets below 25 (Smartthings and Kasa outdoor plug). I also put another temp sensor under the tarp just to verify heat in the area. It's maintaining 10 degrees above ambient with the drop lights off. The lights should turn on soon.

Reactions: Texas Splash
What about the Polaris sweeper? I seem to recall when the Polaris is not running, there's still water running through it but not at full speed?
Just let it and all hose in the pool. The filter pump almost certainly pushes water through it. You can quickly test this by pulling the cleaner up just above the surface with booster off. If you see even a decent trickle, everything is safe.

Hi there. I’ve noticed my water temp is now 34 F. The forecast low is expected to be 11 F. I have freeze mode activated. Should I be worried?
Driver, as long as the water is moving you should be fine. Take a look at the list in Post #51 for more thoughts as they apply. Be sure to update your signature which will help everyone when they reply to your questions, See my sig as an example. Let us know if you have any other questions.

If you’re in Nashville (you’re going to get hit a bit harder than we are) then I’d try and make sure any above ground pipe is drained/blown out in addition to your other plans. Probably don’t need to drain water below the jets. I just drain below the skimmer and put plugs in the returns after blowing out the lines and skimmers.
I gave up the ghost today. Drained below the skimmers only and blew all the lines out. Since we are out of town 50% I'll leave it in this state until late Feb/March. At least less to worry about. Thanks for the help, I learn a lot from this site and all the veterans. Time to support TFP!

What about the Polaris sweeper? I plan to leave my pump running 24/7. I can't remove the "on" trip for the Polaris as the head to the trip piece broke off. Should I just let it run it's 2 hours in the afternoon? Am I risking the water in the polaris hose freezing even if the pump is running? I seem to recall when the Polaris is not running, there's still water running through it but not at full speed?
You are correct, water is still flowing through the booster pump and hose to the cleaner. You can run the cleaner if you wish. I plan to run mine in very early morning just to push higher volume through it.

I've done the same thing that worked during the big Valentine's Day 2021 freeze. As long as the power doesn't go out for more than a couple of hours this should work as it did then when temps were even slightly lower than currently forecast for the next 2 days here in the Houston area:
  • set pump to run continuously
  • adjust valves to ensure flow through all pipes (I have a pool and spa with no automation, so normal pool mode would have no flow in the spa drain line and vice versa)
  • tarp over equipment pad
  • empty plastic bottle in skimmer just in case
  • keep the Polaris in the pool - extra insulation around the skinny tubes into and out of the booster pump
I double checked where the drain plugs to each equipment are located and I've got a flash light, hat, gloves, and the right wrench ready to go. If the power goes out I'll be swearing like a sailor but will be ready to go outside and shut off the main breaker and drain the equipment at least.
For now, I've cracked open a beer and here's to hoping the power stays on. Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: HermanTX
If the power goes out I'll be swearing like a sailor but will be ready to go outside and shut off the main breaker and drain the equipment at least.
You and me both. This is my first year with a pool. What a ride. Is it always this fun?

Didn't help that our home heater also went out this morning. Got that fixed now so now it's just a frosty nail biter with the pool.

Question for anyone -- is there a certain water temperature at which one should do an emergency shut down as well? I get that I would do this if the power goes out, but it seems if the water gets cold enough it would also be necessary. At what point is that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
is there a certain water temperature at which one should do an emergency shut down as well?
That's a tough one to pin down as various factors impact such a scenario. In general you should be fine as long as the water is moving. But feel free to read the link below from one of our hydraulic experts who breaks down several factors related to water freezing. Stay warm!

Reactions: HermanTX
I read post 51, but do not understand the reason for placing a plastic bottle in the skimmer basket.

When water freezes into ice its volume expands by 10%. That expansion is what cracks pipes.

The plastic bottle limits the volume of water that can be in the skimmer and provides a crush zone so if the water freezes the 10% expansion simply crushes the half empty plastic bottle instead of cracking the skimmer.

but do not understand the reason for placing a plastic bottle in the skimmer basket.
Along with Allen's explanation, keep in mind a plastic jug is not your only option for skimmer protection. Pieces of a cut up pool noodle are another example of protection in the skimmer if water circulation should stop.

Got it. I only have 16oz water bottles. Do I remove the basket and place a couple of these empty bottles in the skimmer? I do have some pool noodles I can cut up as well. Man I wish I saw this earlier.

Well I went out and did this with the noodles. I cut the pieces a bit too short but I think I got them to stay down. In a matter of minutes I had ice forming on the skimmer lid from the little bit of water I dropped all over it. I also froze my hand but it’s done.

We're in East Tennessee and this is our first year with a pool. Our local pool guy says he runs his all winter and that is our plan as well. However, with the recent temperatures being much lower than we usually get, I was following this thread closely yesterday to learn everything I could.

Wednesday we had already wrapped pipes in reflective bubble wrap, built a 'tent' over all the pool equipment with the same stuff, hung a 75 watt incandescent bulb in there, and covered the entire thing with a plastic tarp. We made the decision to just run the pump full time like we have been doing. As long as power didn't go out, we were good. Storm was suppose to start overnight. We decided that if power did go out, we would pull the drain plugs quickly and just drain everything and re-fill in a few days once the weather temps rose again.

Well, we lost power last night :) . I woke up about midnight and realized it was off. Luckily outside temp was only 38F. As I gathered my jacket, wrench, etc to go out and drain everything, power came back on and stayed on luckily. I went outside, water was circulating, and all was good other than having to empty leaves and branches from the skimmer (did that 3 times over the next few hours even though we have no trees over the pool and all leaves have already fallen this year (strong wind obviously) ).

As I write this, it is 13F outside, pump still running great. Only issue was tarp moved a little and skimmer lid got uncovered and wet and froze shut. I was able to use a pocket knife and easily break the thin ice bond between the lid and housing in a matter of seconds to clean more leaves out once again.

I will continue to monitor everything and update this thread in the next few days for anyone else reading this and living in similar temps for this storm and storms to come.

Hello,

We typically keep the pool open throughout the year as we rarely experience multiple days of freezing weather. currently teams are in the teens (F), dipping to high single digits, with winds > 20 mph. We can expect about 80 hours below 32F.
My IntelliCenter Freeze protect is active. Main pump is running - pool only, via skimmers. I don't rotate to Spa (following @JoyfulNoise guidance!). Water is partially flowing through heater and via by-pass. Pump is at 1600 RPM / 40 GPM. Feature pump is running at 1100 PRM / 38 GPM. Water from Deck Jets are mostly going into pool. With the wind, some water is landing and freezing onto the pool deck. Lastly, my equipment sits about 1' below the water line.

1) Am I OK to continue with this approach?
2) Should I shutoff and drain pumps and heater? (I will loose about 1' of pool water)
3) Any benefit to increasing the main pump speed?
4) Should I completely bypass the heater and drain the heater?

Any guidance to avoid damage would be appreciated. I probably should have given this more thought before the freeze!

Thanks,

Tony

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.