Freeze Preparations (TX, LA, GA, AL, FL, etc)

Hey everyone, my pumps shut off randomly about 30 minutes ago. I got the automated email alerts from the Hayward Omnilogic for the flow sensor and one for MSP_DEV_COMM_LOSS. I went outside to check and sure enough everything was off. I checked the filter baskets for the pumps and cleared leaves out. I opened the Hayward cartridge filter, letting all the pressure out and checked the filter (clean). I did notice a little ice around the drain plug at the very bottom but its unclear to me if there was a leak or if it was from the day before when the pool guy came out to clean everything and it was just water from when he connected the drain plug again.

After checking everything, I tried rerunning the pumps but they would not turn on. I cycled the breakers for each pump individually and nothing changed. I then cycled the breaker for the whole system which includes the Omnilogic power and then everything started running again.

One thing I did notice is the pressure gauge on the cartridge filter is erratic. The needle for current pressure is bouncing back and forth but I don't recall if it always did that or not. The pool/spa pump makes a different humming sound than my bubbler pump even though they are both the exact same model (Hayward VSP) and running at 85%. The bubbler pump was just replaced a week or two ago because the previous one failed (was brand new too since August). Wondering if there is just something wrong with the pool/spa pump since they were installed together or if it's related to the freeze. The builder did mention they had a bad batch of pumps that they've been replacing.

Should I be concerned about the pool/spa pump? The sound can best be described as a humming that oscillates between pitch on a pattern, this may also be what's driving the pressure gauge needle erratic behavior.

Thanks guys, when I went to remove the heater plug, it looks like there may have been a leak as there was an iceberg built up under the heater, hopefully it’s nothing severe because water did drain from the heater when I pulled the plug🤞

Reactions: Texas Splash
Should I be concerned about the pool/spa pump?
It's good you managed to get the system running again, but definitely keep an eye on it for the 24 hrs or so until the system passes. If it shuts down again during the freeze, you might need to drain everything to be safe. The gauge needle may just be sticking from freezing temps if it's not a glycerin filled gauge.

Reactions: golovko
It's good you managed to get the system running again, but definitely keep an eye on it for the 24 hrs or so until the system passes. If it shuts down again during the freeze, you might need to drain everything to be safe. The gauge needle may just be sticking from freezing temps if it's not a glycerin filled gauge.
Thanks! I'll keep an eye on it. I have a flood light camera in view of the pool so I periodically check to see that the bubblers are still 2ft+ high just in case the pumps fail but I don't get alerts.

If I need to drain it, I just pull the plugs from the two VSP pumps, the filter and the heater? My equipment pad is above water level. Then stuff pool noodles into the skimmers? My water level is a bit high so I'm assuming I can't lower it without the pumps working if it comes to that.

If I need to drain it, I just pull the plugs from the two VSP pumps, the filter and the heater? My equipment pad is above water level. Then stuff pool noodles into the skimmers?
That's about it. :goodjob: Should be no need to lower the pool water level. If the system stalls again, it's all about damage control above the surface at the pad. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: golovko
That's about it. :goodjob: Should be no need to lower the pool water level. If the system stalls again, it's all about damage control above the surface at the pad. Fingers crossed!
Perfect, thanks for all the help! First winter with a pool so it's a bit unnerving having never gone through this before. The pool water has become so choppy because the bubblers are so high that there is ice all around the pool deck and around the coping as water splashes out. Skimmer baskets are clear though

Just an update. Pool temp is currently 32 (up two degrees with full sun today) and air temp is currently 23, so, much warmer than yesterday. Dropped a cattle trough warmer in front of the skimmer last night. It is held in place by some hooks attached to a board extended out from the pool deck. It is plugged into a grounded receptacle. Ice formed along the sides of the pool except a few feet out from the warmer. This was our last ditch effort to keep water flowing. So far, so good.

19 degrees in Franklin, TN. Quick question - when I blew out my lines the other day, air would not come out of the main drain at pool bottom to air lock. I blew it out for about 5 min. No air was coming back to the pump like a proximal obstruction. Water flowed to the pump before that from the drain just fine. Do any of these drains have a one way valve or could there be debris obstructing flow back through the drain not allowing air to flow? I ended up just closing the valve to the drain off figuring some air had gotten into the above ground portion of the pipes. thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I blew it out for about 5 min.
What were you using to push air? If it wasn't a Cyclone or similar product, it may not have been able to produce the volume of air required. Still, if you got some air down to the frost line you should be okay.

Using 5HP shop vac. Valve were set correctly. How much power does a cyclone produce?

3 HP generates 140 cfm on open flow and a sealed pressure of 180 inches of water.

Blowing out water pipes is about air volume not HP.

roger that. It worked for skimmers and jets. Will use compressor next time. thanks
Compressor and shop vac just don’t do very well with deep main drains. I couldn’t get either to work on my drain even though it would do the skimmers and returns. The cyclone crushes all three of those those. Make closing the pool super easy.

Reactions: Jg7xrad
Thanks guys, when I went to remove the heater plug, it looks like there may have been a leak as there was an iceberg built up under the heater, hopefully it’s nothing severe because water did drain from the heater when I pulled the plug🤞
I’m too much of a worry wart, I went ahead and removed the inlet and outlet to the heater and blew out the heater with a leaf blower, also pulled the SWG and made sure it wasn’t full of water, it’s not supposed to get above freezing here until Tuesday🤦

Pump has been running nonstop since Thursday here in North DFW. The spa has continued to try and freeze, though since there's no flow through it. Been breaking up the ice every few hours before it can reform and harden again. Pool itself seems to be fine, thankfully. I'm ready to be done with this nonsense.

Edit: Just went out and noticed some water had been dripping from the drain plug on the filter. Hopefully that was just when it was super cold. Cleaned off the ice and didn't see any new water showing up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Hi, while we go through this abnormal freeze (currently 18F) and pool/spa/IntelliCenter in Freeze Protect mode, is it OK to heat the spa? Kids would like to use spa later tonight. Is it even possible to use spa mode with Freeze Protection that triggers pool mode (spa mode is not part of freeze protection)?

Hi, while we go through this abnormal freeze (currently 18F) and pool/spa/IntelliCenter in Freeze Protect mode, is it OK to heat the spa? Kids would like to use spa later tonight. Is it even possible to use spa mode with Freeze Protection that triggers pool mode (spa mode is not part of freeze protection)?

The Pentair MasterTemp Heaters manual says:

• Operating this heater continuously at water temperatures below 68° F. (20° C) will cause harmful condensation and will damage the heater and void the warranty.
  • When starting the heater for the swimming season with a water temperature below 50° F (10° C), the heater may be used to heat the water; however, make sure that the heater operates continuously until the water temperature reaches the heater’s minimum setting of 68° F (20° C).

Thanks @ajw22. Does this mean that I can use the heater as it will operate continuously until the water temp reaches +95F (currently 38F) will above the 68F minimum? Cooling down again once done using the spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.