Freaking Rain!!!

DAB942

Gold Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Space Coast, FL
What do you guys recommend using liquid Cl for the rainy season, which can be throughout the year in Central Florida. It seems like a real battle to keep the pool even light green. I will be installing SWG in a couple months. But, for now...? I've gone through a lot of chlorine.

I live in Tallahassee, FL and only use liquid chlorine. The main thing is to get and KEEP the FC up high enough each day. If you are getting a lot of rain make sure to up your checking on the CYA as the water exchange (rain in =drain out) can mess with the CYA so make it harder for your FC to stay in the pool. During rainy times I tend to keep my FC at the upper end of my CYA/FC to be on the safe side.

Kim:kim:

Times like these is when filling the chlorinator with tablets isn't a bad idea, IMO. It will help maintain the FC while replacing CYA lost to rain (CYA doesn't evaporate, but if you are getting 5 inches in a day you are losing water to drainage, which does reduce the CYA). You will still need to test regularly and dose with liquid chlorine if necessary, but it can help you to stay on top of things. Be especially sure, if you do this, to watch the pH and TA as the pucks are acidic.

Once the monsoon has passed and your CYA level is where you want it you can transition back to strictly liquid chlorine mode.

Reactions: CarolD
I am south Florida and get a bunch of rain as well. SWG generally keeps up with it, but occasionally I add a little extra LC. I also use some pucks during the rainy season as insurance and help replenishing CYA. Pool has be TFP clear all summer. There is no reason to have a green pool. The advice here works.

In Central Fl, some years our rainy season is all year long. I had been using pucks earlier in the year and my pool was blue, but my CYA jacked up to 120. So, I stopped the pucks and did a water exchange, then the rain, hurricane and more rain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.