Fox Steel Wall Pool and Cantilever Decking

We are about to have a stamped, stained, cantilevered decking put on a pool that already has water in it.

Are there any tips, tricks, or other techniques to help keep the pool from becoming a massive disgusting mess during this process?

Or should I just resign myself to having one heck of a cleanup job on my hands when this is all over?

Thanks,
Gary

What is the shape of your pool?

Post some pics of your pool and the surrounding area so we can see what you are working with.

I just had my deck redone. The pool became a complete mess but it only took about 3 days to get it back to sparkling clear. The company we used wouldn’t cover the pool as they said that became more of a mess and would cause Algae and the tarp would keep falling off.

Reactions: GaryParr
What is the shape of your pool?

Post some pics of your pool and the surrounding area so we can see what you are working with.
1617307735153.png

That's what I've got, looking out my upstairs "covid made this a home office" window. I'm pulling the cover off next week and the concrete guys are coming out not long after. I'm trying to decide if I should leave the water level low and run off the main drain during this process or if I should get it up to skimmer height to help keep the surface clean.

I think you should talk to the contractor about the water level they need to finish the edge of the cantilevered deck. I don't know how they can finish the edge without getting into the pool. Or build forms?

Last edited:
I think you should talk to the contractor about the water level they need to finish the edge of the cantilevered deck. I don't know how they can finish the edge without getting into the pool. Or build forms?

@jimmythegreek what would you do?

I think Jimmy replied to another thread that was related to this and said he'd have me drain the pool. Really don't want to do that and risk issues with the vinyl liner.

My concrete guy said that "good vibration" should make the finishing work minimal and it could be rubbed the following day. I'm not a concrete guy so can't speak to that, but do have the song "Good Vibrations" stuck in my head now.

Well you are just going to need to trust your concrete guy.

I would float a poly tarp on the water to catch any debris that falls in the pool and be able to skim it out with a net.

Man, I'm having my threads merged all over the place today! I feel like there is a lesson I should learn from this...

Well you are just going to need to trust your concrete guy.

I would float a poly tarp on the water to catch any debris that falls in the pool and be able to skim it out with a net.

I do trust my concrete guy, he knows his stuff. But, now that this thread is merged with my other, if you read up you will see what started a lot of discussion was basically my BP leaving me high and dry and my concrete guy put in a position of "having to get creative" which is not exactly a good place to be.

The idea of floating a poly tarp is a good one... I'll have to consider it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For anyone following the "how the heck do I attach forms to this pool" part of the conversation... my PB finally got back to me. He swears he does it like this all the time and his concrete guys tie off to the pool bracing (every 2 feet) and then tie off to the wire mesh in between those braces. If they need more rigidity in spots, they drive some rebar stakes into the ground.

I told my concrete guy this and he laughed saying wire mesh will flex and any rebar driven into the ground will rust causing popping and cracking in the slab. My guy wants solid, non-moving tie off points at least every 8 to 10 inches to ensure the forms do not move during the pour. He wants to do it right, which is why I trust him.

At this point we in the "we will figure something out" frame of mind... just not quite sure yet what that something will be.

@GaryParr I can't even begin to imagine how this PB has you feeling?! Hard earned money and that company just completely undermining it, like it's not a big deal. I'd be devastated and really, really angry and that is not a good combination for me to be in... and to boot, I feel this for you and it's not even my pool.

Can we have a look at the pool as a whole, as it is right now?

Yeah, there have been all sorts of issues with this builder. Too many to list. Most of them I've been able to remedy before they became larger issues. But some, like this coping issue, I didn't know to look for. Others, like them back filling with rocky dirt instead of the gravel I asked for, happened before I could stop them.

But, the good news is that none of that matters to the kids and their friends as evidenced by this pic from last summer...

Reactions: Casey
It is a bad idea to drain a vinyl pool, gotta watch the weather amd be sure its safe, but it's done all the time. That's how we change liners and do Reno's.
Rebar on a grid wire tied is very strong. At this point your gonna have to put faith in the concrete guy and its gonna cost amd be what it is. Personally I would do a concrete collar amd precast coping then back a deck of your choice up to it. I'm not a huge fan of cantilever slab decks solely for the fact when they crack in a bad spot the repair sucks. At least with control joints and precast you can replace a section from joint to joint. I think long term and it's impossible to recreate a stamp in a repair situation in future. Simple broom swept finish is what I prefer or a paver deck. Sorry to rant

Jimmy, a good rant is always welcome so no worries!

The collar/pre-cast idea was also floated (pun intended?) by my guy and is definitely a viable option we are considering. We have a little more time before a decision has to be made though so we are all going to mull this over for the next few days and see if any other bright ideas come to us. I'll update with the final solution to let everyone know what crazy thing we did and how it turned out.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works out for you and your family. There is nothing worse than having a pool builder take your money and leaving you with a bad taste in your mouth. Its everyone's worst fear here and you just dont know until it smacks you right in the face.

I like the collar/precast idea the best, there is no need to get inside the pool to do that.

If you go with forms...I think some 3/4" conduit or steel tubing screwed to supports at various points around the pool would work. Something like this:
Untitled.jpg
You might have to get creative with the placement so you have something to tie to. Just a thought.

I am sure you will come up with something.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.