Found a box turtle in my pool this morning… and a lot of turtle poop.

Orion7319

Jul 1, 2020
Rock Hill, South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
So yeah I got him out and he seemed happy about that. Vacuumed out the poop. I know that turtles and tortoises carry salmonella and have a lot of it in there poop. Question is will the chlorine be enough to kill it or should I super chlorinate it? I know some animals like raccoons carry very bad virus that you have be carful with. Anything like that I need to worry about? My CYA is 60 FC at 7.5-8. Thanks..
807D8A15-8E95-4E1C-9CFB-8A5ED046E9CF.jpeg

You can always bump the chlorine up to slam level for peace of mind, and then let it come back to normal range. You don't need a full slam. You can still swim up to slam level.
Yeah that’s what I think I’m going to do, I’m sure it’s fine, but there is a serious “ewwww” factor with this one. I think the family will feel better if I bump up the chlorine. Slam level is 24, I think I’ll take it up to around 12-15, shut off the salt cell and let it drift back down over the next couple of days. Need to run my tests before bumping it up first.

Reactions: zea3
FC was a bit higher today then I expected. It’s been cloudy and hazy here the last few days. FC 8.5, CC 0, CYA 60. I’m just going to add 1lb of cal-hypo for the “ewwww” factor and call it good, that should bump it to 12.5.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.