For those without a SWG

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
I have read that salt tends to make your water seem softer and better for the skin (or maybe I have read this wrong). For someone who uses bleach as chlorine, how would you go about adding salt to your pool or is this something you do not want to do?

Thanks.

You add it the same way as an SWG pool. 2000ppm is the usual recommendation for improved water feel. I did it last season, but I'm not 100% convinced I could really tell a difference. Salt is cheap, try it for yourself and let us know what you think! :)

Beez said:
You add it the same way as an SWG pool. 2000ppm is the usual recommendation for improved water feel. I did it last season, but I'm not 100% convinced I could really tell a difference. Salt is cheap, try it for yourself and let us know what you think! :)

Is that through the skimmer I would assume so it does not settle on the bottom? Also how do you test for salt?

I added six 40 lb bags at start-up recently to get to somewhere around 2500ppm. Might be a little too much for the skimmer. Just dump the bags directly into the pool - the salt dissolves within a day or so, even if you use water softener pellets instead of granular salt (just have to make sure it is salt without additives if you are using a SWG). Pool stores or Wally World sell salt-level test strips, and of course the pool calculator can tell you how much you'll need to start.

mynewpool said:
It seems like a lot of salt to add. Maybe I will just pass.

I'm thinking about it too, it is a lot of salt but only $40-50 and almost no work other than lugging a few hundred pounds of salt to your pool. Got any kids? I think my nephews might be big enough... :whip:

I think I might secretly put salt and borates in my hot tub and see if anyone notices.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.