West Palm Beach/Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I really like my outdoor kitchen. I love to sit in front of it with a glass of wine while I cook. But keeping the grill clean is a huge pain. Its outdoors and is partially covered but still gets some rain. In addition being in south Florida we have lots of little lizards that are everywhere. They really seem to like going on the grill and using it as a bathroom. So I frequently have to clean off lizard poop as well.

Two weeks ago I decided to detail the car and the hot new thing seems to be hybrid ceramic waxes. Turtle Wax has a new one that seemed to get good reviews on the detailing forums and its pretty cheap. So I bought a bottle and applied it to the car, and I like it. Not sure how long it will last but it was easy to use.

So I decided to hit the grill with it. Sprayed a bunch of degreaser and then gave it a good scrub with some barkeeper friend. A good hosing off. Then for good measure did a wipe down with some isopropyl alcohol. Finally applied the TW ceramic coating. Smelled nice and gave a nice smooth finish.

Two weeks later and the grill is still pretty clean and the lizards seem to be avoiding it. I dont know if they dont like the smell or if the finish is too slick for their sticky little feet. Just applied the second coat today for some extra protection. We will see how it holds up in the long term.

I figured I would share, and would love to hear how others maintain their outdoor kitchens especially all the stainless stuff, drawers doors etc.

Reactions: cwescapexlt4x4
Here is the stuff I used. I am by no means a professional detailer but for $16 worth a try.

So we got a little rainstorm and section that I waxed beaded really well and dried off pretty fast while the section I did not do is still wet.

I just read (and copied for y'all) this in my new Rec Tec manual-

• For a superior cleaning and shine, clean your grill’s outside surfaces (when completely cooled) and then use automotive wax, per the directions.

I really dont like covers. Not a fan of the look and hate taking them off, and then waiting for the grill to cool down to put them back on.

So as an update the lizards came back and two fresh poops on the grill. However, with the wax the hose off very easily. I am really happy with the way the wax looks on the grill. Let’s see how long it lasts, but the good news it is really easy to apply. So if I have to do it monthly its not the end of the world.

I’ll have to try that. Thanks for the tip. I’m actually gonna clay my truck right now, compound, polish, isopropyl alcohol water mix, then ceramic coating (carpro brand). Saw a review from PANNNNNNNNN the Organizer for the turtle wax brand ceramic coating. He put engine degreaser on the hood after coating with the turtle wax. Looks awesome.

I’ll have to try that. Thanks for the tip. I’m actually gonna clay my truck right now, compound, polish, isopropyl alcohol water mix, then ceramic coating (carpro brand). Saw a review from PANNNNNNNNN the Organizer for the turtle wax brand ceramic coating. He put engine degreaser on the hood after coating with the turtle wax. Looks awesome.

nice. I use omnicoat once a year. I just did my TaHOE from the winter. I don’t clay anymore. I nanomit. It’s a lot quicker and easy. Tons of spray wax that I mix myself as the lube like u would for clay but I use the nanomit. So so easy. Follow up with my polish for the stuff that wanted to be difficult and then my prep for the omnicoat.
Look into the nano. Maybe u will like it.

Reactions: Spookie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will order a bottle of the Swell and see how it works on the dishwasher which looks terrible. I also ordered the turtle wax 3-1 which acts like a cleaner and wax so between all of them I expect to find a proper answer.

Here is a picture of the grill.

Attachments

• EABBA310-AAA5-4A39-B800-31FCA8DCA013.jpeg
    EABBA310-AAA5-4A39-B800-31FCA8DCA013.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 85
I use this for my stainless in my kitchen for the past 12 years and now use it outside too.

wolf/ sub zero told me about it.
View attachment 130130
Does it work well as a degreaser? I have a MAK 2-Star smoker that I have a hard time keeping clean. I've tried Weimann's SST cleaner, Bar Keepers Friend soft cleanser and MORE and none of those do a good job. I've also just tried Dawn dish soap and hot water but still I still have grease stains on the outside.

The Swell works amazing on my interior stainless appliance. For a degreaser on the grill, I have used Awesome, that I buy at the dollar store. Cleans it great, then I use turtle wax ceramic to put a protective shine.

Going to try Swell on the drawers to see how it hold up.

There is a lot of weekend time now that there is no golf available for these types of projects.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.