Flow rate??? Century AO Smith 1-1/2

F,

I can't help with your flow rate question, but curious as to why you need to know...:confused:

If you are trying to determine how long to run your pump to get X turnovers per day, it is not all that important. The whole idea of "turnovers" is a myth that many people believe, but it is just not true.

You only need to run your pump for the following reasons...

1. To keep surface debris moving and being pushed into the skimmers. The more debris the more often you need to run the pump.

2. If you have a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) you'll need to run it long enough to generate the amount of chlorine needed.

3. To circulate the water to ensure the chlorine is effectively distributed throughout the pool. Two or three hours per day is all that is needed for this to happen in most pools.

Chemicals keep your pool clear and sanitized, not how many times the water passes through your filter.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Reactions: Sonosite
Motors don't determine the flow rate. It is the pump (i.e. Wet End) that determines flow rate. If you don't know the pump make/model, then post a picture of the pump itself.

But in most cases, it really doesn't matter what the flow rate actually is.

I believe that is a MaxEPro P6RA6YF-206L. Most likely flow rate will be between 60-80 GPM depending on the head loss in your plumbing. But again, why are you asking?

I believe that is a MaxEPro P6RA6YF-206L. Most likely flow rate will be between 60-80 GPM depending on the head loss in your plumbing. But again, why are you asking?

The pool school recommends one turnover per day
So I wanted to make sure this is occurring
Currently I have the pump running a day separated by 12 hours

So first run starts at 5 am and next 5 Pm

Can you point out where in Pool School it states that?

We do not focus on 'turnover'. Read Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Take care.

That’s where I read about turn over
Heh

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

“So our recommendation is to start off with 4 hours of run time if your pump is single speed and 8 hours of run time if your pump is capable of running on lower speeds (i.e. two speed or variable speed pump). If this amount of run time is not sufficient to keep the pool clean enough for your preference, then gradually increase the pump run time until it is clean enough for your own tastes. Also, if your controller is capable of split run time, there can be some skimming benefits to splitting up the run time.”

So what determines if the pool is clean?
Is it a eyeball check to see if water is clear or does that mean chemically ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chemically, you need to have the proper level of chlorine distributed to all parts of the pool. However, based upon my own testing, that happens fairly quickly < 1 hr. Plus the run time report in my signature indicates that most pools can get away with less than 2 hours of run time and nearly all pools, less than 4 hrs.

So a decent rule of thumb is that after the first hour of run time, you pretty much have all the FC distributed if you dose manually. If you have a SWG, then you need to run long enough for that to add FC to the pool. After that, it is just about cosmetics and allow the skimmers to remove debris. So yes, it is mostly eyeballing to see if it is clean enough for your tastes.

Turnovers don't matter.

That’s where I read about turn over
Heh

Historically, the rule of thumb has been to run the pump at least 1 turnover per day. However, that has turned out to be a very poor indicator of actual required pump run time.

You did not read the entire statement ----------

Chemically, you need to have the proper level of chlorine distributed to all parts of the pool. However, based upon my own testing, that happens fairly quickly < 1 hr. Plus the run time report in my signature indicates that most pools can get away with less than 2 hours of run time and nearly all pools, less than 4 hrs.

So a decent rule of thumb is that after the first hour of run time, you pretty much have all the FC distributed if you dose manually. If you have a SWG, then you need to run long enough for that to add FC to the pool. After that, it is just about cosmetics and allow the skimmers to remove debris. So yes, it is mostly eyeballing to see if it is clean enough for your tastes.

Turnovers don't matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Historically, the rule of thumb has been to run the pump at least 1 turnover per day. However, that has turned out to be a very poor indicator of actual required pump run time.

You did not read the entire statement ----------
Correct

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.