Flames and bangs from pool pump

gmsl

Dec 18, 2023
Texas
Hello TFP - first-time pool owner here and I love all the advice in the forums as I am learning!

After one of the recent storms in TX, one of the pumps triggered the circuit breaker. If I switch the pump on, it makes a couple of loud bangs and spits 2-3 flames from the bottom (see picture), then the circuit breaker triggers again. It seems to be pumping for 2-3 seconds before triggering it, as I can see the water moving. I assume the motor is broken and I found the replacement as Century (A.O. Smith) 2.0 HP Up Rate Motor, Single Speed - Model B2859 (I attached pictures of the current motor and pump labels).

Before I attempt to replace the entire motor, do you think I could repair it instead?
If I end up replacing it, would it be better to pick a 2-speed or VSP for this pump serving just the catch basin/edge waterfall?

Thanks in advance!

1716572703932.png

Attachments

• pump label.jpg
    pump label.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 3
  • engine label.jpg
    engine label.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 4
With flames coming out of it the motor is unlikely to be repairable.

Replace the motor.

A 2-speed or VS will be of no benefit for a catch basin/edge waterfall.

Reactions: gmsl
While checking the motor wiring, I found that the VSP motor for the main pump shares the same circuit breaker with the edge/waterfall motor (AUX 1) that I must replace (pictures attached). The current CB is non-GFCI (https://a.co/d/bjV060z).

I understand from this document (Electrical GFCI - Further Reading) that I should replace the existing CB with a Pentair PA220GF for the main VS pump, correct?

Should I also install a new CB for the single speed edge/waterfall pump, and rewire the AUX 1 relay to the new CB (I assume any 15A GFCI CB would be ok, as the motor is a B2859 with 11.2 A Max at 230V)?

Thanks!

Attachments

• VSP pump motor.jpg
    VSP pump motor.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Relays.jpg
    Relays.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 2
While checking the motor wiring, I found that the VSP motor for the main pump shares the same circuit breaker with the edge/waterfall motor (AUX 1) that I must replace (pictures attached). The current CB is non-GFCI (Amazon.com).

Two pumps on one 20A CB are exceeding the amp rating of the CB.

I understand from this document (Electrical GFCI - Further Reading) that I should replace the existing CB with a Pentair PA220GF for the main VS pump, correct?

Both pumps should have GFCI CBs.

Should I also install a new CB for the single speed edge/waterfall pump, and rewire the AUX 1 relay to the new CB (I assume any 15A GFCI CB would be ok, as the motor is a B2859 with 11.2 A Max at 230V)?

Yes, each pump should be on its own GFCI CB.

If the wire to the pump is 14 gauge then a 15A CB can be used.

If the wire to the pump is 12 gauge then a 20A CB should be used.

A 15A CB is marginal for a 11.2A pump. No circuit should have more than an 80% load on it. That is 12A on a 15A CB.

Reactions: gmsl