Florida woman finally building a pool!

@Nikilyn Thanks! I am not worried about them throwing. They know better. More worried of a lawn mower but I think that would be an issue on the other end, but maybe I can buy bigger rocks, not sure. I had a friends front door shatter when lawn crew cad a rock hit with mower, so that is what I worry about.

Like I said, we have rocks everywhere around the boarders of our house and yard. We also have grass. They get in the yard but my husband and boys know to look for them. Never had a window shatter because of the mower. Now, the grandson’s, in the pic, daddy, threw a rock at the son of mine in the pic and hit the sliding glass door and shattered it that way when they were young 🙄, but not a lawnmower. 😉

• Wow
Reactions: ckinchen
I have a question about my contract. I noticed they purposely left out when plaster is done. The super just hit me up for our 4th payment. We have hit the 6 month mark and not finished. I responded that I am not comfortable doing the 4th payment (25%) when multiple things are not complete.
1. Electrical not done( lights were too short and needed to install the longer ones)- He responded that electrical has nothing to do with deck payment.
2. Pavers needed more sand and I needed touch up paint for the patio- he just responded that they will do a 2nd coat of paint and the sand would be after punch list.
3. Plaster- although I don't see anywhere in contract they put plaster, 5th payment says after fence and screen which I have the patio poured and painted but no roof so said that needs to be done with that 4th payment.
My thing is all these payments I make pay for things that have not been done, 25% is paying for plaster. Also we just hit 6 months since permit approved. When should plaster be done? By 5th payment? I want them to be done and don't want to pay for all sort of stuff to be pending. Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• 20210527_095529.jpg
    20210527_095529.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 25
Unfortunately, I don't know if you have a good legal reasoning to withhold that payment. "extras" would be your best bet and could be argued that it includes electrical. From their standpoint, assuming they have paid all of their subs, they have spent most of the money on the pool at this point, with the last big item being plaster.

If it makes you feel better, I have spent about 86% of my budget at this point. I may be a little ahead of you as I am through the safety inspection, but from a budget standpoint, you would be right in line with this next payment. Both of us still have plaster, an I too haven't gotten a final invoice from my electrician, so I haven't made the electrical payment yet either. So... in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's too unreasonable to release that payment at this point. I would try to get a written timeline from them for the remaining items if you can.

As a consumer, we would all like a setup where you're making payments to cover only the work completed at progress payment, then when the job is complete, you make a final payment that is the contractor's profit for the job. They would be more hungry to get it to that point so they get their money.

On the contractor's side, they need to pull in that profit all the way through the process, so at each payment, they are covering their expenses plus some profit percentage.

In any event, hopefully my numbers give you some comfort. I think they front loaded you pretty good through the shell, but from an overall percent complete, the dollars for your next payment probably is reasonable to where your project is...

@OrlandoBull Ok, thank you. That does make me feel better. I think I will make sure electrical is complete before handing in that payment. The super just told me that he reached out to plaster people at first of week to clean out pool and prep for plaster. No clue when that will be done though. And he said the cost of plaster is averaged throughout all the payments.
One question though, why are they going to do the final coat of deck paint after "the project is completed and all the punchlist items are done". Can you think of a reason why they would do that afterwards? I would think it makes more sense to do that now. I am thinking I can argue I want the electrical done and that final paint(I think they used acrylic deck paint for my whole patio area) done now before I make that 4th payment. Do you think that is a reasonable request? Confused as to why they would do that in end, after screen is installed.

@OrlandoBull Ok, thank you. That does make me feel better. I think I will make sure electrical is complete before handing in that payment. The super just told me that he reached out to plaster people at first of week to clean out pool and prep for plaster. No clue when that will be done though. And he said the cost of plaster is averaged throughout all the payments.
One question though, why are they going to do the final coat of deck paint after "the project is completed and all the punchlist items are done". Can you think of a reason why they would do that afterwards? I would think it makes more sense to do that now. I am thinking I can argue I want the electrical done and that final paint(I think they used acrylic deck paint for my whole patio area) done now before I make that 4th payment. Do you think that is a reasonable request? Confused as to why they would do that in end, after screen is installed.
I think that's reasonable, I think the second coat of pain could be good to be the very last thing they do though... that way it doesn't get scratched up or damaged in any way with the finishing touches of the work. I think electrical should be done before plaster, you want to have the ability to turn on your pump when plaster is complete.

@OrlandoBull Ok, thanks! So I will just make sure they complete the electrical then. Shoot I just ordered furniture as I had no clue there is a second coat of paint. I might have a whole set sitting in my living room then :).

I hear, understand, and agree with what you are saying about the payment set up. Does not seem to offer you much protection. I hope they get it all done sooner rather than later!

For the painting I can see them wait until everything else is done last to keep scratches and damage being done by workers.

I sent the builder a message that I would pay once electrical and plaster is done. Super said plaster cost is broken into all the payments so if that is the case then I want it complete before next check. No response yet but sure hope they start plaster before the Florida afternoon rain starts every day.

Reactions: kimkats
@Nikilyn did you say you have marble coping? I now have weeds growing and not quite sure how to treat. I know where the regular pavers are I can treat with multiple options but I am worried about the weeds coming through where the marble coping is, basically the line where the coping ends and the pavers start. I don't want to put vinegar as I know that vinegar is a no no for marble, and not sure if roundup is safe on marble. How are you handling them?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Nikilyn did you say you have marble coping? I now have weeds growing and not quite sure how to treat. I know where the regular pavers are I can treat with multiple options but I am worried about the weeds coming through where the marble coping is, basically the line where the coping ends and the pavers start. I don't want to put vinegar as I know that vinegar is a no no for marble, and not sure if roundup is safe on marble. How are you handling them?
Any new update or pics?

No real updates. Nothing has happened in 24 days so yelled at pool builder. They responded late yesterday that they sent my job to the plaster company as a "priority " to be cleaned out this week and to escavation company for final grade. So will be interesting if anything happens. My fence does go up on the 30th so they need to remove all the garbage before then for safety inspection. Other than that the pool looks dirty, it was painful not having a pool for Father's day and likely nothing for 4th of July. Here are pics of my weeds and dirty, empty pool 😁.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210622-104820_Ring.jpg
    Screenshot_20210622-104820_Ring.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210622_104602.jpg
    20210622_104602.jpg
    790.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Angry
Reactions: kimkats and Nikilyn
You can rid those weeds with vinegar via the glove method as follows:
Put on a strong disposable glove like nitrile and ontop of that put on a cheap gardening cotton glove, with your solution ready to go dip the gloved hand into the solution, grab the weed letting it slide through the closed palm. It'll be wilted over and die in a day or two.

I have marble around the spa but it is raised and also has grout so no weeds or grass.

@wireform What is the solution? Just vinegar? Or are you saying the glove method is the way to do it because you are not pouring the vinegar on the marble, just sliding your hand over and it is safe that way? Have you tested this out on marble by chance? This is the best idea yet!

@wireform What is the solution? Just vinegar? Or are you saying the glove method is the way to do it because you are not pouring the vinegar on the marble, just sliding your hand over and it is safe that way? Have you tested this out on marble by chance? This is the best idea yet!
Just use 1:3 vinegar/water (I think) via method described. Glove need not be dripping but well soaking so no dripping will happen with good coverage on the weed. Did this several years back with onion grass and to this day they're still gone.

A little progress this week. Final grade was done and clean up. Also plaster prep was done too so pool is ready for plaster. Any tips on what to look for at the prep stage? I read the plaster part but may have missed the prep part. I took a video and pictures just not sure if all looks right or not:). Fence goes up on Wednesday and hopefully safety inspection is Thursday and plaster shortly after. I think we will have a pool in a few weeks. Hopefully! Here are some pics. They did drain the pool but we have had a ton of rain last week and filled up again.

Attachments

• 20210625_170505.jpg
    20210625_170505.jpg
    851.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210625_170656.jpg
    20210625_170656.jpg
    546.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210625_170731.jpg
    20210625_170731.jpg
    798.9 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Snoobug
A little progress this week. Final grade was done and clean up. Also plaster prep was done too so pool is ready for plaster. Any tips on what to look for at the prep stage? I read the plaster part but may have missed the prep part. I took a video and pictures just not sure if all looks right or not:). Fence goes up on Wednesday and hopefully safety inspection is Thursday and plaster shortly after. I think we will have a pool in a few weeks. Hopefully! Here are some pics. They did drain the pool but we have had a ton of rain last week and filled up again.
We are right behind you! This rain has been causing delays! We past safety last week so hopefully we can get plaster prep and plaster soon!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.