Florida Block-Pool Build

That water needs to go IMO because it's saturating / compromising the 'undisturbed earth' that is so critical to the walls.

Reactions: timjs
That water needs to go IMO because it's saturating / compromising the 'undisturbed earth' that is so critical to the walls.
I'd LOVE for it to go, but the water table is actually higher than the footing, so it is permanent.
I've done what I'd like to think is "extensive" research at this point into footing and foundation design, and essentially the work around for this type of situation is simple, GO BIGGER. Wider, specifically, but then you must go thicker to maintain the strength of the concrete.
This footing will be overkill for a 4 foot tall block wall. In fact, the dimensions I settled on were found in an engineer's recommendation for a house foundation in similar conditions (saturated soil).

One thing I've found that is very interesting.. after digging out tree stumps (theres a lot buried, right where I'm trenching of course), loose sandy soil falls into the void and water flow in. As expected, that area turns into basically quick sand. After a few days, I'll come back out there and that same spot is hard as can be, same hardness as "undisturbed" soil right next to it. I guess this particular soil type just settles and packs itself back in decently well.

I honestly dont see the water as an issue as far as the footing itself is concerned, or load bearing capacity seeing as how wide the footing will be. The MAIN issue I'm having with the constant inflow of ground water is erosion of my nice level trench floors, turning them into ruts. This is where I think my weir will help.

Reactions: Newdude
Nice work but it seems this pool will need a well point if not several of them. I'd get that done now to pull the water away from the work site.
I had 4 in at one point, all located below the deep end, but it didn't draw the water table down whatsoever after a few days so I pulled them out. I had two pumps running.
I suspect the water table will drop once it gets hot outside, at least below the level of the footing trench. In the mean time I'm just going to keep digging away at it and if absolutely necessary I'll put in many more well points and run even more pumps. Really hope I don't have to though and I can just get through construction.
Oh and for future dewatering for replacing the liner or other repairs, there will be a permanent dewatering setup buried under the deep end in gravel.