avri2119

Apr 16, 2022
Texas
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My floc is not sinking after 30 hours.

Things that may have caused a problem:
1. The pH level was elevated when floc was added.
2. About 18 oz of floc were added when only 12oz were needed.

Did I ruin it? Do I need to wait longer? Some sites say up to 48 hours will be needed, but at this time, I can barely see the first concrete step of pool. :( I’m seeking advice on what to do now please.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Being new, I might as well say it now ..... we almost never recommend using floc. But now that it's in, are you sure what you see suspended in the water (cloudiness) is floc and not algae? Algae presents itself in a cloudiness form. Some things that would also help us to advise:
- Pool info? See my signature as an example so you can update yours.
- Post a full set of water test results. Also confirm which test kit you are using
- Post a couple pics of the water
- Also post a pic or two of your equipment pad.

We'll go from there.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Ran the pump on “recirculate” before shutting off, and it’s been off for about 24 hours. I said 30 before but I miscalculated.

Water test just now shows:
PH 7.8
Total and free chlorine at 0, they were both high yesterday when floc was added as I had shocked from a green pool for the previous 2 days. Now 0 since adding floc.
Alkalinity and CYA in “ideal” range.

Do I just need to wait longer? Do you think it will eventually settle to bottom?

Attachments

• 799C1DB5-DDEF-4D64-92F5-8BA6217234FE.jpeg
    799C1DB5-DDEF-4D64-92F5-8BA6217234FE.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 34
  • C49F7418-D7D0-4C75-859D-EBFE9093F029.jpeg
    C49F7418-D7D0-4C75-859D-EBFE9093F029.jpeg
    596 KB · Views: 34
  • BBDC2ED9-A3AE-4C11-A85A-96FE4E835131.jpeg
    BBDC2ED9-A3AE-4C11-A85A-96FE4E835131.jpeg
    368 KB · Views: 34
Can you show us pics of the floc bottle you used?

I would give it a few days to settle down.

Okay, thank you everyone for trying to help out! I’ll see what it looks like tomorrow. Seems like several people have had experiences of needing to wait longer than it says on the bottle.

Seems like several people have had experiences of needing to wait longer than it says on the bottle.
I saw that as well in some reviews. But once you fee; that waiting period is over, consider the following:
- Here at TFP we're all about proper testing with either a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. Everything start there. Test strips and free local testing are pitfalls for sure.
- If you are able to vacuum the floc to waste, then you can begin a SLAM Process to kill and remove algae.
- If however you find that the floc cannot be removed and/or it hade it to the sand in your filter, you have decisions to make such as:
---- Exchange some water
---- Change the sand (floc ruins the sand's composition)
- In the link I provided above, there are sub-articles that are very valuable such as recommended chemical, proper levels, etc. Use those and ask questions. Pool store gimmicks are expensive and in most are either not necessary or simply do not work.

Stick around to learn more about TFP.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I saw that as well in some reviews. But once you fee; that waiting period is over, consider the following:
- Here at TFP we're all about proper testing with either a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. Everything start there. Test strips and free local testing are pitfalls for sure.
- If you are able to vacuum the floc to waste, then you can begin a SLAM Process to kill and remove algae.
- If however you find that the floc cannot be removed and/or it hade it to the sand in your filter, you have decisions to make such as:
---- Exchange some water
---- Change the sand (floc ruins the sand's composition)
- In the link I provided above, there are sub-articles that are very valuable such as recommended chemical, proper levels, etc. Use those and ask questions. Pool store gimmicks are expensive and in most are either not necessary or simply do not work.

Stick around to learn more about TFP.
Thanks!

Hey Avri and belated Weclome !!!

I wanted to echo Pats comments about sticking around. You came here for a reason. And most of us came for that reason as well. The few that didn't have seen the story repeated so many times, that they are empathetic like they did live it. I have seen some DIFFICULT people be turned around in no time. The pool we can fix. We can't always help the folks who don't try. Anywho, check out this thread. We can do this for you with generic chems on the cheap, and once you get the hang of it, its considered effortless and second nature.

Still waiting... still looks the same. Still blue and very, very cloudy. Giving the floc one more night to settle, and then.... Should I vaccuum what I can? I cannot see the bottom.

Looks like you have a sand filter. The floc is going to gum up your sand if you try and filter it out.

Be patient and give it more time to settle. Otherwise you are going to be looking at replacing your sand.

Think I do need to replace the sand now. I waited 4-5 days and NO settling. I put some to waste and then started filtering again... Now my pump seems to be sending though water at about half the power of normal.

New question - Are sand filters or cartridge filters better in your opinion? Would it ever be worth it to replace the sand filter with a cartridge filter if it's time for new sand anyway? The sand filter is at least 10 years old (not the sand, just the filter).

Would it ever be worth it to replace the sand filter with a cartridge filter if it's time for new sand anyway?
That is a loaded question depending on the preference of who you ask. All 3 filters have their +/- and you need to see how that applies to you. All 3 filters are capable of having sparking pools, don't listen to the particle size filtration nonsense. They are talking about microns which are each 1 / 24,500 th of an inch.

Last edited:
If you are on a well, water is precious, or costs high, a sand filter may not be optimal, but they certainly are convenient for a quick backwash to purge basic debris. But remember regardless of which filter you chose, they do not prevent algae. That's 100% a chemistry issue where the FC-to-CYA ratio was not balanced correctly per the FC/CYA Levels. Many new pool owners don't realize that fact. At this point, it looks like you'll need to let the sand catch as much floc as possible then eventually change the sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.