Fix leak in PVC. Repair guy said 200-300!

beachinmoney

Bronze Supporter
Jun 13, 2013
Buckeye, AZ
Surely there has to be a way. I'll post pic's any help would be much appreciated.

The leak is where the blue is.
97c0dca30fdad6794a175b14a944602a.jpg
87b977eb82707f6f947747d94d6c6111.jpg
81725244ee128b104586a9a3621d36d4.jpg

What are the valves for?

You will need to rebuild it from the coming out of the filter past the two tees to the pipe going down. The larger valve might be best to change to Never Lube, the small one depends on what it is for.

You should paint your plumbing. Helps keep it from deteriorating in our sun.

Take care.

bim,

Not sure what your plumber has in mind as a fix, but since this is the pressure side, just slopping some epoxy on the outside will not work. The only true fix is to redo all the plumbing around the blue area and maybe even having to replace one of the valves..

I would want to know what he plans to do for his $300. I know if I was in that business, I would not do it for less..

Thanks,

Jim R.

$200 - $300 is cheap for that. Easy repair if you are handy but I cannot imagine getting it done professionally for less.

Two 1.5 T's, one reducer 1.5-.5, one coupler, 1 ball valve Maybe 1' of pipe. Pretty simple fix. Max $35 in parts.

cn,

While I agree it would be a great little DIY job, how much would you charge if you were in the pool repair business? Keep in mind all the business expenses that are part of any job.

Like it or not, business have to make money to survive and not everyone has the time or skills required to do even simple pool repairs.

Thanks,

Jim R.

What are the valves for?

You will need to rebuild it from the coming out of the filter past the two tees to the pipe going down. The larger valve might be best to change to Never Lube, the small one depends on what it is for.

Take care.
Thanks, I bought house with it that way and I'm still learning.

I have heard that people have tried Gorilla tape, etc. with out much success.

You really do not need to run your pump much right now. Your pool might get some dirt in it but if you add your liquid chlorine, as needed, and brush it around you will be fine. Air temperature does not mean much. Your water temperature I am sure is below 70F and the sun angle is low so not much FC loss each day.

What are the two valves for?

Take care.

I have heard that people have tried Gorilla tape, etc. with out much success.

You really do not need to run your pump much right now. Your pool might get some dirt in it but if you add your liquid chlorine, as needed, and brush it around you will be fine. Air temperature does not mean much. Your water temperature I am sure is below 70F and the sun angle is low so not much FC loss each day.

What are the two valves for?

Take care.
Not sure. I'll have to look when I have more time and I'm still in the pool so I need to run it. Its still 97 here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What are the valves for?

Take care.
Why can't I just cut where it is and throw a coupler into each side temp?

Why can't I just cut where it is and throw a coupler into each side temp?

No - the pipe connecting those two pieces is welded using PVC glue. There are methods to ream it out but you have no space to even separate those two pieces and risk doing more damage if you try. You could try just gooping PVC glue all around that leak and hoping for the best. I have been successful with that in the past.

Because there is not enough room and those pieces are glued together with PVC cement, effective making them solid pieces. It is not hard to do this yourself. You buy the pieces that you need:

As Chemnut listed

(2) 1.5" Tees
(1) 1.5"-1/2" reducer
(2) 1.5" couplers
(1) 1.5" ball valve Maybe 1' of pipe

Then you can cut the pieces to fit, mock them up and hold it against your current to make sure it fits. Then you cut your current system off and glue this one in place. It is easy once you start doing it. Or you can just pay the repair guy to do it.

There isn't a way to stop the leak short or replacing that section. If it isn't too bad, you can just live with it as is and make sure you keep the pool filled to the proper level.

Loctite makes a "marine "epoxy. I tried it out of desperation on a pressure side leak that would have been involved extensive replumbing otherwise. Dry the area and apply the epoxy all around where the leak is and let it cure. It may take more than one application. I even used it effectively on a cracked filter bulkhead that was squirting water about 4 feet (filter at 26 psi). Home depot carries it in the paint department, about $6.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.