First year winterize, two issues

Hello everyone,

Based on our relatively mild climate (Pacific Northwest), I am trying to winterize per pool store instructions.

I got everything opened up and drained. Ran into two problems.

First, when removing the hoses from the pool filter intake and outlets, do I unscrew the hoses using a plumber’s wrench? The problem is this leaves the hose twisted five times on itself, leaving kings and I’m sure shortening its life. But I couldn’t figure out another way to do it so that’s what I did.

Second, the pool store states the filter should not be brought in for the winter. It is a sand filter and pretty heavy, I don’t know how I would do it anyway. But on a related problem, because I can’t move the sand filter, I can’t access the screws used to hold the pump to the equipment pad, and they somewhat stripped one of the screws when they installed it anyway, which means I can’t bring the pump in. I was told that is not required in our climate though preferred as it may extend the life of the pump. But given I can’t seem to move the filter... I think if I did move the filter off the pad (it seems stuck on) I might have enough leverage on the one screw to really get it off and therefore get the pump inside. It’s a bit of a catch 22. Suggestions?

I could always call the store to do this the first year but really it’s not hard if I can figure out the above.

You seem to have the first issue accomplished, although I suspect there is more than one way to remove a stubborn hose. A plumbers wrench or strap? .... I suppose so.

As for the filter, many people bring theirs under cover (i.e. garage or shed). Of course they remove the sand first, and if possible, save it for next year since sand doesn't go bad. If you do elect to leave it in-place, make sure you drain all the water and leave the drain valve out/open. Also consider removing the pressure gauge as well.

Remove the sand... how do I do that? If the filter were lighter, would it pull easiliy off the equipment pad, which seems to be just a metal pad?

Regarding the hoses, yes I removed with a pipe wrench very easily. But the hoses themselves get twisted as I do that. The alternative was to remove the hose clamps so the hoses could come off the threaded ends, but they seemed very tight and I wasn’t sure I was doing the right thing. What have others done?

@poolshrinker , just to be clear and follow-up on one of your original concerns ..... not sure why the pool store said the filter should NOT be brought in for the winter. It's an owner option to leave in-place or empty and re-locate. Obvioulsy a filter vessel is designed to be out in the elements, but we take precautions either way to minimize the chance for potential damage - primarily expansion from freezing. You already had some things disconnected and it sounded like you were considering relocating the filter. But if you elect to leave in-place, just remember to leave the drain plug out and store it somewwhere that you can find next spring. :hammer: I would recomend removing the gauge as well since they take a beating in harsh cold weather. They aren't too expensive though either way. The cold won't hurt the sand, but some owners who do relocate their filter use this opportunity to remove it and clean/inspect the entire unit/laterals well. This also serves as kind of a sand deep-cleaning opportunity since the sand will be removed. Again, totally your call. Not mandatory either way. PS - Please update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info.

More on our page.

I’ve closed thousands of pools and never once brought a sand filter inside. It’s foolhardy and totally unnecessary.

Remove the cap, sight glass and gauge and place them inside the pump basket for easy reinstall come spring. Remove the plugs on the pump and place them in the pump basket as well.

OK, that makes it easy. Filter stays.
What are your thoughts about the pump? Is it ok to leave outside? Seems to be hard for me to get the stripped screws off to bring inside.

Finally, what about the hoses? Did I do right to unscrew them, or would I have been better to use the hose clamps and wiggle the hoses off?

I’ll update my signature when I find all the info about my equipment.

Pump can live outside in the winter. I have never brought mine inside in 25 years.

Reactions: Pool_Medic

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What are your thoughts about the pump? Is it ok to leave outside?
Yep, in general pool equipment is designed to be outdoors. Now that you've updated your signature, we can actually see what you have there which helps in answering your questions more accurately. :goodjob: You have some standard equipment which can stay-put, while some others have relatively small items who may move them. Anyways, you're fine. Do make sure to remove any of those smaller parts and accessories (pressure gauge, plugs, etc) and store those for the winter - much like noted in the article I posted above. See you next season. :swim:

Last edited:
Our pool pump didn’t fare so well being left outside for a few winters. It was slightly down in some river rock so the bottom 1/4 didn’t get good airflow around it. It siezed up about year year two then got loud the next. Replaced the bearings but pool guy said don’t bother again as it was in bad shape. It got really loud this year. (year 7). I bought a VSP this year and there is zero chance I’m leaving it sit idle for 5 months in piles of snow. So it takes me 10 minutes to remove and/or reinstall it since I fixed the layout of my pad. That’s just my experience but for me it was a lesson learned, though it may not apply or even be necessary.

Had one pool owner first year opening pool after purchase to a pump which was a dud. This pool equipment pad is below pool level and was sitting several seasons unused so no surprise there. The new pump I installed was mounted on a stack of 18" pavers and is now out of harm's way on the above pad floor. It'll get rain and snow but won't sit in it for months.

Had one pool owner first year opening pool after purchase to a pump which was a dud. This pool equipment pad is below pool level and was sitting several seasons unused so no surprise there. The new pump I installed was mounted on a stack of 18" pavers and is now out of harm's way on the above pad floor. It'll get rain and snow but won't sit in it for months.
That's exactly how I re-plumbed. High and dry.

Reactions: wireform
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.