First winter - water level

nafreire

Jul 15, 2021
toronto,ontario, canada
This is my first year with a pool. I live in Milton Ontario Canada. Just outside of Toronto. At closing my pool company filled up my pool to almost normal summer level. They did this because my yard does not drain water well and my sump pit keeps on getting allot of water. They said this would help the liner not float. I just checked today and the water level in the pool is 4 or 5 inches from the cooping stone. Should I lower the level before the deep freeze comes? Or is the 4 or 5 inches enough space?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: The ideal water height varies based on your pool type and any potential products in/around the pool. Obviously you have a vinyl pool, but is it an in-ground or above ground? What type of cover, if any, do you use? Your signature is also blank. SO I would recommend posting a couple pics tomorrow of your pool so we can see what you have to work with. The links below might also help as well.

This is my first year with a pool. I live in Milton Ontario Canada. Just outside of Toronto. At closing my pool company filled up my pool to almost normal summer level. They did this because my yard does not drain water well and my sump pit keeps on getting allot of water. They said this would help the liner not float. I just checked today and the water level in the pool is 4 or 5 inches from the cooping stone. Should I lower the level before the deep freeze comes? Or is the 4 or 5 inches enough space?
Thank you for the reply. I have an in ground vinyl pool and I have mesh safety cover. I will get my signature updated. I can grab some pictures tomorrow.

I always try to make sure to keep my water level below the cantilever coping in case it freezes. Yesterday was a warm day and I checked mine and it was in the middle of the skimmer. I lowered the water level to right below the bottom of the skimmer as we are suppose to get 1 to 3 inches of rain in the coming days. It is always easier to check the water level and lower it on those warmer winter days. The water level will also support the mesh cover with the weight of any potential snow.

I always try to make sure to keep my water level below the cantilever coping in case it freezes. Yesterday was a warm day and I checked mine and it was in the middle of the skimmer. I lowered the water level to right below the bottom of the skimmer as we are suppose to get 1 to 3 inches of rain in the coming days. It is always easier to check the water level and lower it on those warmer winter days. The water level will also support the mesh cover with the weight of any potential snow.
Thanks, I lowered it down to 6" below the coping. I guess this is the level I should keep it at until the freeze comes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.