First Water Test - Now Taylor 2006C

The instant salinity divided by the actual salinity will tell you how well the cell is performing.

For example, if the actual salinity is 3,400 and the instant salinity is 2,600, the cell is performing at about 76%.

Below 75% and I would say that you need a new cell.

The instant salinity divided by the actual salinity will tell you how well the cell is performing.

For example, if the actual salinity is 3,400 and the instant salinity is 2,600, the cell is performing at about 76%.

Below 75% and I would say that you need a new cell.

The instant Salinity reading was 1600
The actual Salinity from the test was 1000

That doesn't seem correct. How are you testing?

The instant salinity is not going to be higher than actual unless you have the wrong cell.

Can you post all of the diagnostic readings?

That doesn't seem correct. How are you testing?

The instant salinity is not going to be higher than actual unless you have the wrong cell.

Can you post all of the diagnostic readings?
Just for context, my pool has not been maintained as a SWG pool for several years. I purchased the home this year and took over the maintenance myself.
Is there some range of salinity that the cell can report?
I used this procedure to reset the average salinity and then watched for it to stabilize.

http://images.inyopools.com/cloud/documents/aquarite-tsg-aqr159d.pdf
Page 11

The actual salinity test was done using the Taylor reagents. 5 drops = 1000 ppm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, get the actual salinity to about 3,200 ppm and then recheck the readings.
You may have noticed from the earlier posts in the thread that my CYA is really high.
I am planning to do either an exchange or drain / fill of at least 50% of the water.

Should I add salt now or wait until after my water exchange?

If i get the actual salinity up to 3,200 and the cell is bad, i may not want to replace the cell for a few months.
Is there any downside to having the salinity up to 3,200 but not using the SWG?

So mother nature forced my hand today. Rained pretty much all day and my water level was already high. Now the water is touching the bottom of the pool decking.
I have a 100' garden hose so I started a siphon. I tried to do a google search for how much flow rate to expect from a garden hose but found real fluid dynamics equations that I don't want to mess with and not a lot else. I could eyeball match this flow rate with a hose from the tap in the deep end of my pool (our tap water is quite cold) for a water exchange but the real question is: how long would I need this process to go on for?

How would I go about estimating the flow rate?

Take the hose that you using to drain the water and fill a 5 gallon bucket while you time it. That you can convert to gallons per minute.

Take the hose that you using to drain the water and fill a 5 gallon bucket while you time it. That you can convert to gallons per minute.

*duh* :) Thanks... I don't have a big drop in elevation from the pool to my street so I was concerned about stopping the flow if I picked up the low end. (I had to restart it twice)
Based on my calculations I'm getting about .67 gpm o_O

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.