First timer - advice required

brent0np

Apr 19, 2020
Brisbane
Hi All,

Firstly, what an amazing community this is. As a new pool owner, I don't feel as anxious about managing our pool going forward having seen what's happening here at TFP!

Seeing as I have made my first 'mistake' I wanted to check in with people regarding getting my pool on track. We moved into this house a few months ago and am now at a stage of taking control of the pool situation. It is peak winter here in Brisbane Australia but temps only get as low as ~7 degrees celsius with highs in the low 20s. I have noticed the pool has a reasonable amount of black algae. I received my test kit and started logging results in pool maths and made the mistake of taking my CYA from 45 to ~75 before getting across the details on dealing with black algae (SLAM and brush), so I guess my chlorine consumption for SLAM will be significantly higher which I have accepted (a valuable lesson in taking my time reading the content available here before following the poolmath advice).

What I want to confirm is:
  • I have noticed when I backwash to waste I still see the water moving through my chlorinator (SWG) back into the pool(a small amount, but enough for me to be concerned around filter waste going back into the pool). I suspect I need to replace my spider gasket in the multiport?
    • If I do have to replace the spider gasket in the multiport, I am concerned I may damage/break the intake pipe that runs from the pump to the multiport as it probably hasn't been unscrewed in 10+ years?
  • I have ~10 litres of old liquid chlorine that is probably 6 or 7 years old. Is there any risk in using this to kick off the increase in FC for the SLAM backing it up with new liquid (ensuring both have no CA). It looks like I can access new 100 or 125mg/L liquid chlorine easily.
Thanks,
Brenton.

Welcome to the forum!
When you read the above, you will see you do not follow the SLAM Process. You maintain an elevated FC level with extensive brushing.
The MPV sounds like it needs repaired. Just do your best.
The liquid chlorine that is that old is essentially salt water. Do not expect much chlorine from it.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: brent0np
Thanks for responding. I had a go at the MPV and it looks much better. No more leaking in backwash. I didn't have an issue getting the input line disconnected.

I did have a read of that algae article before, but thank you very much for pointing out the right FC. I am going to kick of brushing next week when work is quiet. Can't wait!
20200617_154722.jpg20200617_171619.jpg

Reactions: mknauss and Msch99
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.