First time with a green pool :-(

yubbie2

Bronze Supporter
Apr 1, 2017
Houston, TX
Came home from a 2 week vacation to a green, cloudy, super hot pool (thanks, Texas). My neighbor put in some bleach for me and 2 packs of CalHypo when he called to say it was cloudy, but otherwise that’s it. Oh and my pool robot has been broken for 5+ weeks - just put the new guy in today.

FC: 1.5
CC: 0.5
PH: 7.8
TA: 80
CH: 300
CYA: 40
Temp: 92
CSI: 0.24

But now it’s green and SUPER cloudy. About 6 weeks ago I slammed with CayHypo packets to kill mustard algae, my pool cleaner then broke, and we left on a spur of the moment vacation. So my pool has basically been neglected for almost 2 months.

I started a SLAM today with 12.5% bleach, but what else should I be doing? I’ve done SLAMs before but this is my first time dealing with cloudiness and green water. Filter on 24/7, robot going, and.....?

Last edited:
Sounds like you got it. Maintain the FC at 15, brush, and keep an eye on the filter pressure until you are completely done with the SLAM.

I'm not one of the pros, but the only thing I would add is clean the filter - it may (hopefully!) get gunked up fast from all the dead algae you are going to be sending its way.
Just keep up the SLAM levels, and once it looks clear and sparkling again, do an OCLT to make sure you don't have any sneaky chlorine eating ickies still hiding.

Sounds like you know the drill. Just don’t forget that M in SLAM means maintain. Test 3-4 times daily and keep your FC at SLAM level. Any less leads to a prolonged SLAM.

I'm not one of the pros, but the only thing I would add is clean the filter - it may (hopefully!) get gunked up fast from all the dead algae you are going to be sending its way.
Just keep up the SLAM levels, and once it looks clear and sparkling again, do an OCLT to make sure you don't have any sneaky chlorine eating ickies still hiding.
Hmm. Good call. Not sure I did that after the Mustard Algae Incident so you’re right, it’s probably super gross.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.