First Time Using TF-Pro Salt - Some Grey Matter in Pool

We're all volunteer here so it doesn't help us, per se. But keeping the lights on means none of us needs to find a new hobby. Imagine if my new hobby involved running???
Wait - you're not getting paid? Who is paying me?
Oh - my employer... Shhhh...

• Haha
Reactions: newdude
Added MA all day yesterday and pH is now closer to a true 8.2, but still too dark. Will continue with MA. Also ordered stabilizer to bring CYA up to 60. Levels today ...

FC - 6
TA - 70
CYA - 40
pH - 8.2+
CH - 300
Salt - 3200
Temp - 62
CSI - 0.15

pH is 7.2 this morning!! Going to wait a few more days to test CYA so will re-test the full range this Friday. Looks like everything is lining up for a MDW official opening.

Think I'm back in my comfort zone ... thanks guys for all the help and support!

FC - 9
TA - 70
CYA - 60
pH - 7.8
CH - 250
Salt - 3400
Temp - 66
CSI - (0.35)

I would do another acid to drop pool to 7.2. Your TA probably needs to be 50-60 to prevent pH rise, but you have some CSI leeway considering your water temp is still fairly cool. So if you want to take a break and let it warm up, you're in a good spot.

Officially opened the pool this week and turned on the heater. I was surprised the plaster felt rougher on my feet compared to last year. Is it possible this happened because the pH was high all winter? How would I even control this when the pool is closed :ROFLMAO: . All my other levels were relatively fine at opening. From what I've read I'm now stuck with the rougher plaster and smooth no more, without draining / blasting.

TA - 60
CYA - 60
pH - 7.5
CH - 250
Salt - 3400
Temp - 79
CSI - (0.60)

Numbers continue to be great, but pH keeps fighting me. How often do you guys put in MA? I'll put a small amount 3x a day, 4 hours apart and then next day I'm at 7.2. However, 1-2 days later I'm at 7.5 again. It doesn't seem to want to go back down to 7.2 unless I do another 3x a day, 4 hours apart. Maybe I should just do a small amount, 3x a day, every other day, until I see it stick to 7.2? I'm guessing kids swimming, water slide, topping off with city water, etc. will keep my pH fusy.

FWIW I'm only adding a few cups at a time and TA is still 50-60 over the last month. According to PoolMath this is more than needed, but I've yet to dip below 7.2.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Stop the acid additions. Stop driving pH to 7.2. Reggie's advice was to do it once to help lower TA. Your TA is 60. If you keep lowering pH to 7.2, TA will decrease. If TA gets below 50, you can crash your pH.

Let pH rise to 7.8-8.0. pH should stabilize in that range with TA of 60. Don't force it lower. A pH of 7.8-8 is just fine.

Stop the acid additions. Stop driving pH to 7.2. Reggie's advice was to do it once to help lower TA. Your TA is 60. If you keep lowering pH to 7.2, TA will decrease. If TA gets below 50, you can crash your pH.

Let pH rise to 7.8-8.0. pH should stabilize in that range with TA of 60. Don't force it lower. A pH of 7.8-8 is just fine.

Thanks! Did a small addition this morning so probably won't do much. Tested at 7.5 before so will leave it there.

Just curious, do you only add MA when over 8 and only to get it to 7.8-8? In general, how often do you find you're knocking down ph? Once a week or so? Just curious.

Btw, thought of your handle on Saturday. Went to Leslie's and gentleman in front of me was getting PoolStored hard.

Just curious, do you only add MA when over 8 and only to get it to 7.8-8? In general, how often do you find you're knocking down ph? Once a week or so? Just curious.
That is the recommendation I'm making. With a TA of 60, your pH should be fairly stable in that range.

I'm the wrong person to ask. I have a vinyl liner. Most people that manage this way, in a gunite pool, add muriatic about once a week.

Reactions: bbdude
Once TA has equilibrated at 50-60, pH will stay in the 7's and CSI will be good.
When I get to that point, the only time I need to add MA is when I'm adding water for evaporation (due to high TA fill water.)