Fort Worth, TX
Levels today, 3/7/19:
FC and TC at -0-
TA - 140
pH - 8.0
CYA - 70
I'm using a Taylor K-2006 kit
Water is a little cloudy, but no signs of algae growth
I know I need to SLAM, but do I need to lower the pH first? If so, once I lower the pH with MA, how long do I need to wait before starting the SLAM process and adding liquid bleach?
Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Lower your pH to 7.2 with muriatic acid. Add what PoolMath says, let the pool circulate for 30 minutes, and test pH again. Add more MA if necessary.

Then SLAM. At a CYA of 70 you will need quite a bit of liquid chlorine. Your SLAM FC is 28 ppm.

If this is not a SWCG chlorinated pool I would suggest doing a partial drain and refill to lower your CYA to 40 or 50 ppm.

Lower your pH to 7.2 with muriatic acid. Add what PoolMath says, let the pool circulate for 30 minutes, and test pH again. Add more MA if necessary.
- Sorry I didn't see the 30 minute part, thank you

Then SLAM. At a CYA of 70 you will need quite a bit of liquid chlorine. Your SLAM FC is 28 ppm.
- Thank you!

If this is not a SWCG chlorinated pool I would suggest doing a partial drain and refill to lower your CYA to 40 or 50 ppm.
- Approximately how much would need to be drained? Draining is the only way to reduce CYA, correct?

If you are confident in your CYA of 70, then a one third drain (4000 gallons) would reduce your CYA down to the 40's.

Up to you. You get enough rain that you might be able to do it over time with dilution. As long as you discontinue use of trichlor/dichlor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.