First time SLAM, a couple of questions

willy17

Bronze Supporter
Oct 17, 2017
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi All, I’ve done best to read up and prepare for SLAM - first time doing it, have a beautiful clear pool but can’t keep chlorine up and failed an ONCT (lost 2.5PPM). I’ve prepped my PH and bought 20L of bleach (I will get more from supplier today, but know this will get me rolling). I’m home all weekend so will be able to check and adjust frequently. I also just backwashed sand filter to prepare.

A couple of questions to aid in the process:
1 - I have Intellichlor IC20 - on my app, will setting it to 0% be considered off, or should I disconnect the wire from my system?
2 - I have a robot vacuum that does walls and everything, can I drop it in to aid the vacuuming part, or do it all with the hose and pole?

Test results to start:
FC 5.5
CC 0.5
PH 7.3
TA 120
CYA 65 - i have discovered I have a very hard time with this. Have thought 60, have thought 70 (at waist outside, somewhat overcast)
CH 200

I am going to use 28ppm as my target for the slam so Ill add 216oz chlorine. Here we go!

Hi again guys. Staying on top of this thing, got more chorine/bleach that was bottled in June so I’m confident of the quality, and I’m topping up every couple hours. I took the lights out, scrubbed in there and scrubbed all surfaces.

Question, should I run all my lines (main drain I can push or pull from it and waterfall line?)
Also - I have the pump humming right now as I rather it be cranked when adding chlorine, can I dial it down a bit of leave high. Pool isn’t big so this water must be exchanging multi times. If it may speed the process ill leave it high.
I plan on waking a couple times thru night to check and adjust the FC, so thank you in advance (AGAIN)!!

Hi again guys. Staying on top of this thing, got more chorine/bleach that was bottled in June so I’m confident of the quality, and I’m topping up every couple hours. I took the lights out, scrubbed in there and scrubbed all surfaces.

Question, should I run all my lines (main drain I can push or pull from it and waterfall line?)
Also - I have the pump humming right now as I rather it be cranked when adding chlorine, can I dial it down a bit of leave high. Pool isn’t big so this water must be exchanging multi times. If it may speed the process ill leave it high.
I plan on waking a couple times thru night to check and adjust the FC, so thank you in advance (AGAIN)!!

I should add - main drain is easy I’ll run thru it with skimmer anyways but concern with the waterfall is will the agitation of water really up the ph?

Just did a check at 2 hours and I actually have 29ppm FC. I’m not adding anything and will check again in another 2 hrs. I added pretty much exactly what pool math required and the sun always out for about an hour on the pool.
Is this positive or too early to get hopes up? Will do more checks before bed - how many hours is an overnight chlorine loss considered?

Check FC after the sun sets and then get up early and check it again just before sunup. That will give you several hours of no UV so that you can determine FC loss from algae and organics only over that period.

after last check seemingly using 0ppm over 2 hours, 2 hours later it looks like I am down again to 23ppm or burned through 5ppm FC. Will get back to 28ppm. Is this a normal thing for chlorine to stick around at some points and the used more st others? To me I feel like it should be kind of straight line. (All this assuming I didn’t screw up one of the tests which is absolutely entirely possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
after last check seemingly using 0ppm over 2 hours, 2 hours later it looks like I am down again to 23ppm or burned through 5ppm FC. Will get back to 28ppm. Is this a normal thing for chlorine to stick around at some points and the used more st others? To me I feel like it should be kind of straight line. (All this assuming I didn’t screw up one of the tests which is absolutely entirely possible.
Hit post before I finished my thought. I am going to add again, wait an hour or 2 and test again and repeat if necessary thru night. Not holding breath but ideally stable thru the night would be awesome (within the next several nights anyways!!!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.