NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Last year I felt like I was trying to be to perfect in keeping levels all within range. This year I’m a bit looser with the ranges and water has been clear…besides one light algae bloom that cleared up quick after SLAM.

Last year I had to add muriatic acid a few times to keep pH between 7.6-7.8. This year I have a wider range I’m letting it stay in and haven’t added any all season yet. Bottle I bought is still sealed.

Similar with CYA…last year I tried to be perfect keeping it 70-80. This year I’ve added a couple of times as summer weather set in but it’s been 60-70 most of the time. I know this is on the low end for a salt water pool but it works.

I kind of feel like it’s been much easier this season in keeping water balanced and clear so am I just lucky? Or are looser ranges actually better?

As you get to know your pool, you get to know what variances you can keep. I check mine if I am lucky once a week now in my 7th season. I can add acid without really even checking. I don't worry about exact numbers anymore. The important thing is FC levels.

That’s what I was thinking as well but I like validation from others to make sure I’m not messing something up. Last year was first full season and like I said I was a bit neurotic trying to keep numbers perfect. This year I’m too busy to check frequently and ironically seem to have better results.

Reactions: Newdude
I think you kind of answered your own question. You shouldn't have any algae blooms.
Well, I should clarify that. It was end of spring/beginning of summer. I was running lower FC and CYA all spring and got away with it because of cooler temps. As it got sunnier/warmer and kids used the pool more, I got caught with a light bloom.

I was a bit neurotic trying to keep numbers perfect
It's called micromanaging. :)

You put the right guy in charge. (The SWG). Let him do his thing and adjust the Ph or CYA occasionally as necessary.

The closer you target to min, the closer you have to watch it. 5 times so far this season my SWG chut off for 12 hours due to a big storm hitting when it did its self check for salt. Somebody else saw it shut off when filling with their hose. Timing is everything when it runs that self check.

Or a power failure. Or a particular high UV loss day for that part of the season. Or a get-together. Etc etc etc.

So i target a 10, and don't step in until it's a teen. PH and TA should all but manage themselves with pool friendly fill water and lots of rain in the northeast. Ch doesn't matter for vinyl, and that makes you 4 for 4 on easy street.

Pretty much all you have to do is make sure the CYA is enough for the recent weather. I imagine we'll get a late August blast of heat. Be ready if it comes and the CYA is low.

Reactions: mrm1682
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.