First time poster green pool

Mar 19, 2017
Tracy/ca.
First time on the forum, I can tell there is a wealth of knowledge already. Well my pool is already green. I'm looking for advice on where to begin. I've attached a few pics. It looks like I should look into a good kit and go right into the SLAM method. Does anyone have any other advice? I tried a couple of years ago doing this on my own. I ended up hiring a pool guy last summer, and he convinced me to drain my pool, promising all of my algae problems would be gone. And here I am again. Should I rinse the filters out before beginning?

My hope is to do this myself and not spend more on chemicals than it would be to re-hire the pool guy. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_3504.jpg
    IMG_3504.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_3503.jpg
    IMG_3503.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_3505.jpg
    IMG_3505.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 227
Re: First time poster green pool

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store and pool "guys". Their only response it to sell you something.

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

You are correct, you need a test kit. We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Wayne,

You can compare it to taking a tire off using a lug wrench, or an air tool...

I didn't think it important until after I did the tests manually. I now have the SpeedStir and you'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands... :p

Jim R.

We can get your pool clear and help you keep it that way. The test kit is the first step. Once you get the kit let us know and we will get you started on the SLAM.

Magic stirrer-you can do without it but why???? LOL

Kim:kim:

Hello everyone, my TF-100 arrived today. I have done my homework and read my necessary homework.

Do you all recommend that I clean the filters?
How soon can I do my first test?
I plan to begin my SLAM process Saturday morning.

I look forward to getting this green swamp I call a pool cleaned up this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry it took so long to get back with you. I wanted to make sure I had a couple of mins to take to give you a good answer.

Yes, do clean your filter. That way you know the clean pressure. Make note of the setting on your gauge right after you clean the filter. Do the math to know what a 25% increase would be. That is when you will clean it again.

Do your test asap so we can know what to tell you to do to get ready for the SLAM!

Have you pick up quite a few jugs of bleach? I would start with at least 15 jugs. I hope you don't need all of it but....you will end up using it before you are through so.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I did a CYA test last night, lighting wasn't great. But it was about 100. My question is after putting that in the pool calculator it said to drain 60% of the pool. How on Earth does ones know when their pool is 60% empty is beyond me. But why not just drain it all the way at that point?
Would love to hear any thoughts.

The reason you don't see folks draining all the way is that in some areas ground water can push the pool up out of the earth and then the entire game is over :(

You can easily drain it by half then refill, then drain it by half again and refill again. You should be sitting pretty then.

I suspect your CH is pretty high too (it usually is in the west) so the drains will help bring that down too.

Doing this will really help speed up your SLAM!!

Yip :flower:

Operation drain the swamp is underway! Is there any reason to test the PH or anything else? Is tested CYA was at 100 again. Figure the first reading with the new water is the most important. Planning to drain about 60% would it be beneficial to brush the pool as I drain?

With a CYA reading of 100 and a green swamp, I am in the process of draining 60% of my pool as we speak per the pool math. Wish my luck, I'm going to need that and your help this weekend. By the way, approximately how much of the pool floor should I see when the pool is 60% empty?

One way to is to try to estimate your average pool depth. Then measure down from the normal waterline 60% of that distance.
A typical average might be 4 feet, so you would want to lower the water level ~2.5 feet.

No reason to test anything since you are draining and refilling. You will test again when your pool is refilled to the middle of the skimmer and the pump has ran about an hour or so AND you have brushed to mix it all up good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.