First time pool owner needing help

atipton129

Sep 10, 2019
Ofallon, IL
We recently moved into a new home with an above ground pool. The liner had a leak and the filter was bad, so both of those were just replaced in the last week. After we refilled the pool, I noticed that I couldn't keep chlorine in the pool. Even after shocking it, the free chlorine level would be at a 0 the next afternoon.

I was adding shock at night, kept the pump running overnight, turned the pump off in the morning, then when I came home from work chlorine was at 0. I read online that I needed to add CYA to the water to act as a "sunscreen" for the chlorine. However, after I added that, my pool turned green. The water doesn't look green, it looks like there is a green film in spots on the floor of the pool. I haven't shocked the pool yet. Will shocking the pool get rid of the green film? Is the green film on the bottom of the pool algae or something else?

We recently moved into a new home with an above ground pool. The liner had a leak and the filter was bad, so both of those were just replaced in the last week. After we refilled the pool, I noticed that I couldn't keep chlorine in the pool. Even after shocking it, the free chlorine level would be at a 0 the next afternoon.

I was adding shock at night, kept the pump running overnight, turned the pump off in the morning, then when I came home from work chlorine was at 0. I read online that I needed to add CYA to the water to act as a "sunscreen" for the chlorine. However, after I added that, my pool turned green. The water doesn't look green, it looks like there is a green film in spots on the floor of the pool. I haven't shocked the pool yet. Will shocking the pool get rid of the green film? Is the green film on the bottom of the pool algae or something else?

Welcome!!! :) You definitely need a good, reliable test kit. The TF-100 is most recommended on this forum and has seriously kept my water crystal clear and beautiful ever since I opened my pool! I’m a pool newbie too and still learning but I will try to help with the info I do know, but I highly recommend reading “Pool School” here on TFP as others suggested.

As the previous comment states, you need to follow the “SLAM” method thoroughly to kill and get rid of the algae. If your pool isn’t holding chlorine, you need to add either liquid stabilizer or powdered stabilizer via the “sock method” (I’ll have someone else explain since I am terrible at it lol!). I won’t get too in depth because the first thing is ordering the TF-100 testing kit and getting rid of that algae! As soon as you have those things, I can help you much better.

Oh and whatever you do, please do not listen to the pool stores. The wealth of information you’ll find on this forum is so much more helpful plus it’ll save you a TON of money! Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.