First time DIY pool closing with many questions, please help

May 28, 2018
IN
Hello everyone, this post was transferred from JUST GETTING STARTED and I realized it should be more appropriate for here. Sorry if I occupied more space.

I am probably on the last bus to close the pool in IN area. I have watched many videos and posts on how to close the pool yet still have a lot questions when I found out my pool equipment are different from all those in videos! Please bear me to post the questions one by one here.

First, what is the white pipe for as in picture 1 and picture 2? It has a square-shape plug screwed in one end and a thread in another end. There are four of them left by previous pool-owner. Are they needed for pool winterizing?
Picture5.jpgPicture4.jpg
Second, I know it is a gizmo in picture 3 and it should be plugged in the skimmer, but the little lid on its top is free to take off or put on. Does it look right? Should I seal it with glue?
Picture6.jpg
Q 3. I will blow air to the suction pipeline. To my understand, to blow the water out of the skimmer lines, you can do it at either end, skimmer or pump end, does it have any difference? For the main drain pipe water, I have to blow it from the pump end. What are the plugs for as in the red circle in the picture? I remembered the pool guy did something to them when the pool was opened, but I don't remember what it was. Should I take them off and blow air to the pipes from here? What should I do with them during the winterizing procedure?
Picture7.jpg
Q4. My pool also has a fountain pipe line. To my understand, I will do the same air blowing as same as other returning pipes and air lock it after pour the antifreeze. Anything else should I pay attention to?
Q5. If the underground pipes will be protected by antifreeze, what should we do with the upground pipes? Just leave them there empty during the whole winter?
Q6. The heater. I noticed a drain plug on the heater. Is it enough to drain all the water in heater by just taking off the plug?

So many questions for a new pool owner like me and many thanks to your help.

Yunfeng:

I will try to answer some of your questions. Please see below:

1) The picture # 1 and # 2 are probably adapters with flex hose that the previous homeowner used and attached to a blower, compressor, etc., and he may have used this in the skimmers to move water back to the pump with air (not sure, but they are adapters of some sort). They also could be adapters that attach to the extensions near the equipment pad.

2) The Gizzmo hole is a blow out plug (should have a cap) in where you can install under water and water will be blow out through the hole an capped. If this is your first year, after clearing the lines, you could add antifreeze as this is your first time. Once you become comfortable, then you could skip the antifreeze.

However you do this, and whatever you do, just remove water from the lines and cap off the returns with winter plugs and the skimmers with the Gizzmo's or black winter plugs. It appears you have shut off valves on the suction and return lines. You could remove each cap and blow air through there. It looks like you have 2 skimmers and a main drain. The main drain would require either you lock air with the red shut off valve, or place foam rope down the tube and leave the valve open. Once you clear the skimmers, and shut off the lines. You can even purchase a blow-thru plug and clear the main drain this way and lock air both ways with the shut off valve and leave the valve inside the pump basket. This would require an air compressor.

The heater is winterizing during the closing process, just remove the drain plugs afterwards. The fountain, if outside requires no "air lock". The underground pipes are left empty during the winter. As mentioned previously, you can add antifreeze to the skimmer lines and even the return lines once you have removed the water and plugged the ends. The system plumbing was designed with this in mind with openings before the pump and after the chlorinator.

Can you please upload some pictures of the system (top), and all the sides a little further back?

Yunfeng, You in the best hands with Catanzaro. Even though he is not ITI (In the Industry) he is one of our best "closers"! THANKS Catanzaro :hug:! Just do as he says AND if you don't understand or need clarification of something make sure to ask him. He can narrow it down more and guide you through this.

Kim:kim: TFP MOD

Thanks Kim for the kind words.

First, what is the white pipe for as in picture 1 and picture 2? It has a square-shape plug screwed in one end and a thread in another end. There are four of them left by previous pool-owner. Are they needed for pool winterizing?

It is very possible that the previous homeowner disconnected and removed the pump, chlorinator, etc. He had a purpose in mind to use flexible hoses with the threaded adapters. As mentioned previously, your whole goal and objective is to use air to move water (Period). The skimmers are usually plugged with either a Gizzmo, a black winter plug, or a threaded plug. The returns are plugged with either a black winter plug or threaded plug. The main drain, of course cannot be plugged, and this is where most of the industry and forum members use trapped air, called the "air lock" to suspend the water below the frost line. There are some members that leave it open all winter long and/or use and shove foam rope down the drains, which is extremely difficult to do most of the time, making blowing out the line the most feasible option.

It does not matter where you start as there is no right or wrong way. As long as you clear the lines properly, you will be fine. Antifreeze is always optional, and you have to decide on your comfort level and true cost of purchasing antifreeze. With my set up, if for some reason, the cold weather set in, lasted for an extended period of time, and I became concerned, with my set up, I could always disconnect the pipe with unions, (where the old Frog system was), and pour antifreeze down that line. In addition, I can always get antifreeze down the lines from the pump basket with a flexible hose and a little bit of compressed air, although by gravity, the liquid would travel.

Below you will find a detailed closing thread and many links that will and should answer most, if not all your questions. Please write back with questions.

Concept of closing an IG Swimming Pool

The concept of closing an in ground swimming pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.